on 22 April 2012
Arrived very quickly and was shower-proof out of the box. I bought it specifically for an April canal boat holiday and found that the stitching let through a little dampness after about an hour or so. After 6 hours in continuous rain, the headband was completely soaked and water was trickling down my neck.

Although this sounds like I am condemning the hat, no, I am not. Remember how cheap it is! The water ONLY came through the stitching - and that can be cured. It appears to have been made of waxed cloth but with UNWAXED cotton thread. All that is needed is a tiny amount of proofing wax rubbed into all the stitching and it will be great.

I found it very comfortable and stiff enough to prevent the brim flapping around TOO much in the wind. Although I was lucky to get a perfect fit, it does need a chin strap if you are using your hands for something more important than holding your hat on. I (well my wife) stitched in an old shoe lace as a chin strap, attaching it to the soft headband inside the hat - no, that was not why it leaked.

For comparison, some expensive Gortex lined gloves kept my hands dry for about the same period before leaking just as badly as this cheap hat but my un-waxed Barbour jacket kept me totally dry in the same 6 hours of rain. It is obviously worth paying more for high quality items but be warned - this exact hat is sold in my local garden centre for considerably more money.

It is not particularly stylish but it will keep you dry - with a minor bit of attention.

UPDATE JULY 2013: Sadly I lost my first one of these hats. I had no hesitation in buying another BUT the replacement hat is nowhere near as well made as the first. The material seems to have little wax in it, the brim is all wrinkled, there are uneven creases above the hat band where they were not intended to be creases. Worst of all, the top panel is stitched on in a way which holds water at the seam - guaranteeing a leak through the stitching.

It is still shower-proof but most hats are. The reason for getting a waxed hat is for their water-PROOF abilities. I have now reduced my star rating to 3 stars as an average between my two hats. IF it were not for the fact that this is still a very cheap hat, I would have given it even less stars. At this price though, it is still reasonable or good value for money.
on 5 December 2010
The hat came just in time for the heavy rain that followed the snow we had in Kent. It kept my head warm and dry. What more can you expect from a hat?
on 2 May 2011
Having dogs means walking regardless of the weather and being a wearer of spec, I need something with a wider brim than many rain hats offer. When my old hat got lost I needed to replace it as soon as possible, and found this

Incredible value, exactly what I was looking for and fits well. Very comfortable and well made.

I almost bought a replacement from the same company as my original, which is a tiny bit more comfortable as it is made out of different material - but at over ten times the price frankly I couldn't see an earthly reason why I would do that before trying this and I'm very glad I did.
on 13 September 2011
Bought this on the back of good feedback for a cheap hat. Came quickly but the stitching around the band of the hat where the brim is attached to the body of the hat looked like the stitching was a little loose in parts. Anyway, still seemed tight and wasn't coming apart. So, wore it in a downpour and after maybe 20 mins the hat started letting in water around the headband and I ended up with a soaked forehead. So, pretty useless as a rain hat hence the one star.
on 7 February 2016
Absolutely essential in stormy weather - I wear it with my waterprrof raincoat and both keep me extremely dry as I walk to work !

I bought exact size and pull it down firmly onto forehead so I can carry bags in both hands and it stays firmly in place even in high winds.

Would not be without it!

ps: even the feathers, which get wet, dry perfectlhy if left alone!
on 12 December 2014
Hat is as described. I feel that it is quite a lot shallower than pictured so hopefully it will not be blown off the head. Also, I think size 57cm is likely to be too big for most women - marginally too big for me but not a real problem.

Tried it in light rain and it does the job and I will be wearing it when out walking, rain or not.
on 4 October 2012
I ordered one each of the Brown and Navy Blue both in size 59cm. both arrived at same time and quickly, for which the seller has done an excellent job.

The hats however are different, although the description suggests they are exactly the same, just different colours. The Blue one is made by Countryside Classics and the brown on by Hawkins. Despite ordering the same size, and both being labelled as 59cm, the blue one fits like a dream and the brown one is much larger.....i would say 1-2cm larger than the blue one.

Quality of both looks good with good quality linings and I am not going to bother returning the brown one as they only have a 57cm in stock.......which if it really is a 57cm will be too small. Not worth the effort as I'd rather have one too large than too small. Maybe I will try to wash it on a hot cycle to shrink it down then re-wax it.

Would have got 5 stars if the sizing in the manufacture was more accurate.
on 28 November 2012
This is a great rain hat that feels only slightly damp inside after being in a torrential downpour, and I'm sure a spray of waterproofing spray would fix that. The hat keeps you dry in normal UK rainfall.

I would like to point out just one thing - wind catches under the broad brim and threatens to blow the hat off. Some means of fastening it to the head is necessary even in gentle breezes. Sewing a strap on wouldn't be easy, looking at the construction of the hat. I used a scarf but it wasn't very satisfactory. It isn't a fashion hat; its purpose is to keep you dry in the rain, and it does that - providing you can keep it on your head.
on 27 February 2015
It is OK for the purpose but the packaging was shoddy and had broken the feathers. The box it arrived in was HUGE and there was 17 meteres of paper inside no paper inside the crown which would have prevented the hat being squashed. It was cheap - so what do I expect?
on 1 March 2014
I bought this to go with a waxed jacket that had no hood with it. I found it surprisingly hard to find the right colour/brim combination at any reasonable price

this is cheap, basic, but does the job. It wouldn't be right to wear to meet the queen at ascot, but I don't have my invite yet so no worries