on 17 December 2010
Bought this about 4 months ago and have given it a good workout before writing a review.
Compared to other netbooks I've used this is a great little computer. The keyboard is fantastic, with widely spaced keys and the touchpad, which supports multi-touch gesturing, is easy to use too.
Having Windows 7 (Starter Edition) is handy and it doesn't feel encumbered with performance problems. That said, this laptop has been designed for portability and not performance so don't expect everything to happen instantaneously - a little patience does often have to be observed.
The ExpressGate option provides a quick way of getting onto the Internet if you don't want to wait for Windows to boot each time (approx 5-10 secs instead of about 75 secs.)
The only problem I've had with it is a intermittent issue where it wouldn't shut-down or go into hibernation when I wanted. I eventually traced this to a combination of a 1GB memory upgrade and the ASUS Super Hybrid Engine (SHE). The problem only appears to occur if you install addition memory from Crucial, but is easily fixed by uninstalling the ASUS SHE software - and I didn't notice any reduction is battery life as a result.
on 30 September 2010
Just love it. Unfortunately I am still waiting for a mouse to arrive so I can use it better, but my husband has had a really good explore around it and in his opinion it really fits the bill and is a wonderful piece of technology. Just love the quick launch feature whereby you can just go to the internet or skype and use it without loading the Windows, what a feature... the camera is better than I expected. The size is wonderful, light and yet looks very sturdy - nice shiney finish too. Love it, love it, love it... what more can I say. Have ordered a case (rather than a sleeve as I want to be able to carry a few other things with it) for it which will then make it very portable and safe. Can't wait to get the mouse so i can fully explore and use it to its full advantage. The fact it is bluetooth means i can download some of my messages from my phone and keep some photos.... again, haven't tried it fully, but the bluetooth works and communicates with my phone perfectly. Excellent purchase so far, only had it a few days but no problems at all. It found my Wifi and all I had to do was put in my password and voila, we were on line... so easy. Fast enough and has everything I want in a netbook.
on 22 June 2010
I was apprehensive about buying a computer with such a small screen and keyboard, but I have been able to overcome this. The screen colours are a bit washed out compared with my laptop on certain, which does effect the definition of some things, but to put it into context I have managed to use my Netbook out doors in bright sunshine. The keyboard is very responsive with the keys well laid out with plenty of space between them. The performance is quite good, I have upgraded to 2gb and I have run a number of applications including having multiple tabs open on my browser at the same time without noticeable performance degradation. I can get about 9 hours use out of the battery, although, I haven't actually run it all the way down yet, so that is a guestimate.

All in all I am quite happy with a computer that is capable of doing most of the things I want to do whilst easily fitting into a small bag. My only grip is the cost, I think that Netbooks are a little over priced when you consider that you are not getting what you would with a laptop, i.e full version of Windows 7, DVD drive bigger display, better processor.

I did buy an early model for one of my Nephews (13) I don't think he was that impressed mainly because of the screen size and performance and his younger bother ended up asking me for a laptop. So I really think that Netbooks are aimed at people on the move rather than like my Nephews, who only use the computers at home, if you want a computer for home then go for a laptop or desktop, if your going to carry a computer around for any significant time then consider a Netbook as long as screen size and performance aren't essential.
14 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2010
Asus 1005PE 10.1-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N450 1.66 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, up to 11 hr Battery, WLAN, Bluetooth, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter, Black)

This is the second Asus 1005 Netbook we've bought (as an addition not replacement)
It performs very well for all our needs which include browsing, email, social networking, music player, picture storage, BBC iplayer (we haven't tried streaming movies)

Reasons for purchase included:
'n' speed wireless network adaptor (we have 'n' speed router)
Battery life which is great
Size - extremely portable, they travel with us for use in car,on planes and on holiday

We've experienced no problems, no software crashes and they've proved robust and well built so far(we've had 1 for nearly a year now in daily use whereever we are).

The shiny finish does show every finger print - but we're not bothered given how well they've performed and they still look sleek and as good as new.
6 people found this helpful
on 8 June 2010
I'm quite pleased with my new EEE. The design of the whole device is really beautiful and they thoughtfully packed white power cables with this white version of the device.

It comes with Windows 7 Starter which isn't brilliant compared to Windows 7 Premium but it seems to do the job. I'm not really a fan of the Express Gate OS that it comes with as it looks a bit half done, but it boots quickly for the functionality it provides. I've tried out Ubuntu Netbook Edition on it already and think I'll be switching to that (or at least dual booting) when I have time to play with it properly.

The HDD comes partitioned into two.

While there is space for a 3G card behind the battery, there is no 3G available on the device. Apparently when the time comes you can buy the module and have that installed - but I'll probably just stick to an external 3G dongle.

The multi touch is also good and I like that the touchpad is practically invisible.

And I'm looking forward to putting the battery life through it's paces - it seems to be living up to it's spec so far!
on 14 September 2012
This netbook may have functioned adequately at first, but the Windows Starter OS was limiting, and the specs all in all made the netbook a complete rip off. It was a total waste of money, I'd have been better off with a cheap laptop. The charger's end snapped off INSIDE the netbook after only normal wear & tear within a year. Would give zero stars if able to. I don't understand how it has received such good reviews because it is appears very cheaply made and it is not durable.
on 28 July 2010
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT NETBOOK I BOUGHT A SAMSUNG AND TOOK IT BACK TO PC WORLD AND IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DONE CAN NOT FIND A THING TO KNOCK THIS EXCELLENT NETBOOK ITS EXCELLENT 10/10...SUPERB
3 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2015
Good netbook.
on 17 July 2010
This netbook is great. I looked a quite a few before purchasing but wanted one that had b / g and n wifi connectivity - to make it as future proof as possible.

It is a great netbook, small and light enough to carry about, but with everything it needs and a good battery life.
5 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2013
Very happy with the purchase, which is well suited to my daughter's requirements for note-taking when in lectures at college.