on 14 July 2011
This game isn't for everyone. The camera is a bit slow to turn, and the combat isn't the best. But that isn't the point of the game.

The game focuses around Seto, a boy who, just after the death of his grandfather, is lonely. But you would be in a world where most people died long before. After reading a letter from said grandfather telling him survivors may be found if he headds for the red tower. And with this he does. Before long, he notices a silver-haired girl. When he tries to approach her, however, she runs off. Now knowing that he isn't the only person left alive, he chases after the girl.

The story of this game is it's undoubted strong point. It is very touching as you progress, and the way it fills you in on the backstory of the world has to be one of the best storytelling elements that I've seen in a game. You could find newspaper headlines or old adverts on the walls, or even messages wrote by the deceased, but the best is the items found on the ground. You see, if you oick these up from the ground, and then take them to a fire (save spot) these items (which can range from rubber ducks to bells) will play memories, which can be about anything, and none are really useful, but they're really beutiful and deserve to be listened to.

The gameplay is, I admit, not it's strongest point. You do wander round a bit, so if you like going from point A to point B then this isn't the best use of your money. The combat is mainly focused on timed attacks (not that the enemies are that difficult) but, while it didn't annoy me it could get a bit frustrating, sometimes your weapon will break, meaning that you will do significantly less damage until you can replace it. And unless you have a spare weapon in your bag (which has limited space, but it makes a nice managment system and is a refreshing bit of realism in a time when people can hold RPGs in their trouser pocket) you will need to get to a save point to change weapon. Like I said, it didn't annoy me, but I could see it being a bit of a turn off for some.

But it makes up for it graphically. Perfectly matching the world and the feel of the game, these are some of the best graphics on the Wii. The cutscenes, which some of them are given an animated treatment, are also a joy to behold.

Like I said at the start it ain't for everyone. But if your willing to play something different, you will find it becoming one of your favourite games in your Wii collection. Maybe to others it won't be a 5 star game. Maybe you might hate it. But for me, it deserved all 5 of those stars despite it's flaws and takes pride and place in my Wii collection. You should really give it a go
on 25 March 2012
I saw this game a while before deciding to buy it..
What put me off was the idea of having to fight monsters in the game as I am not a huge fan of fighting games, although I will try them if the game appears to be good and has a gripping story line, and this is what convinced me to buy this game..
And I am very glad I did!~

This game follows Seto (a lonely boy) he is searching for survivors in a World that seems as empty as he feels..
Throughout this game, you encounter many interesting characters and are met with many creatures (some are easy to defeat, others require a bit more work) but I find that some monsters you can just run by as they don't actually go after you if you can get away. There are some monsters I find very annoying and not scary at all!~
I haven't completed this game yet, but from what I gather, it's Seto searching for a Silver Haired Girl he met at the beginning of the game, and he travels looking for her in many different places and you uncover many secrets of the characters you meet and very emotional background :)
(I have cried quite a few times already playing this game ^__^)

The music in the game is perfect and (for me) it's important for games to have a good soundtrack as it immediately creates a more interesting game :)
I do recommend this game as it is very fun to play!~
If you are unsure, you can search gameplay, reviews and trailers on YouTube and maybe that will help you decide :)
I hope this review was helpful!~
on 27 June 2010
It's quite tricky to pigeonhole Fragile Dreams (the closest I can manage is a cross between the Zelda and Silent Hill series), which is part of what makes it interesting. In a nutshell the story follows a boy who, after recently burying the old man he was living with, ventures out into a post-apocalyptic world in search of other survivors. On the way he runs into various characters (not all of them human) who join him for different parts of the journey. Bizzarely he seems to form the biggest bond with a dozy girl he meets for about a minute, and most of the game is spent tracking her down.

Gameplay takes the form of wandering through the decaying environment and clobbering the ghosts (or 'thought-entities' as the game likes to call them) that occasionally pop up. The story breaks this linear progression up by occasionally blocking your way with a locked door or asking you to backtrack to fetch some items, but running around thumping ghosts is pretty much the meat of it.

Unfortunately, given how much fighting there is to do, the real-time combat feels quite clunky and unbalanced. There are a number of different weapons, but the 'pole' variety has a wide-ranged charge attack and packs the biggest punch, so there's little point in using anything else other than to inject some variety. Projectile weapons are largely pointless as they can't be used in tandem with your torch, which is the only way to reveal the majority of them. Limited inventory space and slow menus discourage you from carrying more than one weapon at a time. Most enemies are quite easy to pass by without fighting though, so I found myself just carrying close-range weapons and jogging past the annoying birds.

There are some neat ideas. The Wii Remote's speaker is used nicely to locate moving enemies (and other characters) in a 'hot-and-cold' style way - when you're pointing in the right direction, the sound will be louder. But most of the good points about the game come from the beautifully realised world. This is definitely one of the nicer looking Wii games, and deserves points for injecting its dystopia with some colour (the sunsets and sunrises are its biggest trick, but the ruined train stations and malls also crammed with detail and dripping with atmosphere). It's just as well, as you spend a lot of time running back and forth through it without a lot happening.

The story won't set the world on fire, but the theme of loneliness and loss comes across well - some of the items that you find have 'memories' attached to them, which are surprisingly poignant little snippets of dialogue detailing someone's last hours before whatever disaster it was occurred. I played it through with English voices, which were generally pretty decent in an above-average anime type way (aside from the main character's painful campfire whimperings - "I hope I'm not getting sick", "This is so soothing" etc), but the game has an option to turn them to Japanese which some may prefer.

Overall I found Fragile Dreams a decent story, but mostly in spite of the game itself. Combat gripes and other design niggles persist (the randomly-appearing and time-consuming merchant at save points, for example - why not just have an option to call him? Also, the hand-drawn map adds a nice touch of realism to the survival, but is next-to-useless in terms of functionality as it doesn't show your location), but I found myself perservering to see how the story would turn out. With more satisfying combat and a bit more polish, I'd have no trouble recommending this game, it's really just a question of how badly you want to find out if Seto ever finds the silver-haired girl again.
on 6 June 2013
{This review is written by their 16 year old daughter!}

In a world recently devastated by a strange apocalypse, you play as 14 year old Seto, desperate to find survivors. I played this game a while ago and I'm happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed playing it and would highly recommend it and have done to a friend who also enjoyed playing it immensely.

If you've read the other reviews for this game, you'll find that the game play isn't the strong point of Fragile Dreams and I'd have to agree. I played The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) along side this and it felt a little like 'two steps forward, three steps back'. Fragile Dreams is basically a 'button masher' ie: you run around using the analogue stick and press 'A' whenever an enemy pops up and they say the better timed your attack then the harder the hit but I think this just comes down to how quickly you can hit 'A' in succession (but I mainly used sword and bow type weapons throughout the game so it might be different if you use spear types and the hammer types not to just knock down enemies so you could get past them quickly). This way of game play can get boring but I, personally, enjoy games like this partially for their ease. Like any RPG, Fragile Dreams has bosses (much to my dismay!) but, to be honest, I thought these were pretty easy to get through however, I think this might have been so that the player doesn't focus too much on level-crunching and beating the next boss and thinks about 'just getting through this' and then moving on with the story. The game is set in a post-apocalyptic world and usually games like this are 'free-roam' but Fragile Dreams has around four main levels with a tutorial stage at the beginning. Again, this is probably so that the player doesn't focus too much on the exploring element of the game but is more channeled into continuing with the story. The levels through the game, I found, do try your patience. They become maze-like which can be fun but when you're stuck in them for hours and no walkthrough will help you as your surroundings look very much the same it can become very annoying and on some of the levels it felt like the game developers had given up! (The 'Never Ending Corridor' for example. The name just says it all.)

Fragile Dreams has to be played for the story! This is a must when you purchase it! For someone who has been labeled as having a swinging rock for a heart I found myself squealing with happiness and rolling around crying my eyes out! Sure, you'll be an emotional wreck afterwards but it's such an amazing story! I also thought that the soundtrack for this game was absolutely wonderful. The first instrumental you hear in the game called 'A Dedication to... Everyone' has inspired me to learn piano. The graphics were also pretty good for a Wii game and the character and creature design for Fragile Dreams is so gorgeous! You can unlock the concept art and cut scenes when you finish the game which I found was a wonderful surprise as I'm not a huge re-player of games so I could go through Fragile Dreams again and again with the cut scenes. I'm also very interested in concept art and loved being able to see the art for this game.

I also liked the Memory Items which you could pick up along the way through the game and, even though it may sound a little morbid, I really liked hearing these sound bites about what people had to say about their lives before they died and I spent hours looking for them. The use of the Wii remote speaker was a really nice touch too as this function is usually overlooked or underused.

Overall, I really enjoyed this game for the story and graphics. I didn't mind the simple controls and I felt the soundtrack that went along with the game was just perfect. I also liked the fact you could choose if you wanted to play the game with the original Japanese voice actors or in the English dub. Both voice options were wonderfully done. Amazon got the game to me quickly and there was no fault with the casing or disk. I feel this game is must play for those of you who play video games for the story, rather than controls or graphics. I just wish it was a little longer.
on 23 April 2010
I really liked this game.

It's not like i hate having to fight monster and so on but in most RPG games i just think you have to spend hours and hours on levelling and trying to get enough money. In this game you really don't have to worry about that. If you just attack whatever comes your way you will level up and earn enough to buy new weapons.

I don't know the right term for it but when you come to a new area, the monsters appear and they can move around there freely and they can choose to attack you all at the same time.

Seto doesn't learn any skills to kill the monsters with but he does get different weapons that can break over time. He can't hold that many things in his hands so you have to think about what weapons you have with you and how many healing items too course they don't group together. Plus you have to make room for the items and money you pick up.

At a bonfire you unwrap what you pick up and can move it to your bag. You can transfer what you have in your bag to your hands too. You save your game and get fully healed there too. Some times a weird guy comes and you can buy things from him. I never really used any healing objects be course there are a lot of bonfires.

I liked the story and the graphic very much, that's why i gave it a high score but i just think the game was too short. I looked for every little thing in like every corner to make sure i didn't miss anything and it still only took me 20 hours to finish the game. You can do it a lot faster if you don't care about the small stories from the objects you pick up. And most of these stories are boring too and don't effect or help the main story at all.
on 23 May 2014
I really enjoyed this game.
It's a bit different; it's quiet and melancholy and not quite what you expect.
Yes the controls aren't the greatest and combat can be awkward (though fortunately not overly frequent), however it's worth persevering with because the story is beautiful. I will admit I shed a number of tears.
The soundtrack is emotive, and the setting is built up through snippets here and there. The place is pretty slow, but this allows more opportunity to take in the world.
Not for everyone, but I'd recommend taking a chance.
on 11 March 2014
Unexpectedly sharp in some areas, and somewhat unfocused in others, Fragile Dreams remains a game that splits opinions greatly.

Speaking from a gameplay standpoint alone Fragile dreams is mostly just average. The combat system is fine, mostly workable if a little lacking in depth; the exploration is often a highlight, but can occasionally be a bit of a drag, and the item management system is a nice attempt at making the gamer think before they act, even though it rarely succeeds in making the gamer worry about their inventory space much, in practice.

So why, with those things in mind, would I rate Fragile Dreams so highly? Well, because Fragile Dreams goes so far out of its way to try and be more than just your typical game. The story, while a little under-elaborated upon, is brilliantly worrying, and it is strengthened vastly by the atmosphere that maintains a tight grip around your journey's throat. Said atmosphere is supplied chiefly through lovely art direction, a brilliantly understated, touching musical score, and a hue of confusion, loneliness and endearment that is carried about by the protagonist and the near-empty areas within which he traverses.

You meet very few characters throughout your adventure - although those who you do meet will stay with you, in a manner of speaking, for the entire journey [the characters really are pretty amazing] - and you spend all of your time obsessively chasing down the first character who you ever came across, upon starting your quest. Not so much a story about love, or even like, then, as it is a story about just wanting to not be alone, Fragile Dreams is, in a lot of ways, an extremely progressive title.

It's not for everybody. Still, those people who do like it will probably really like it. As for myself? I was struck so much by it that it has become one of my favourite all time games. Scratch that - it has become one of my favourite all time things, period. If your interest is peaked even a little bit, then I will worry not about saying this: Fragile Dreams: farewell ruins of the moon is highly, so very highly, recommended.
on 1 November 2011
Many people have already stated many of the things to be said about this game, both positive and negative.

First of all, let me say I like this game very much, but for non-game reasons.
My impression is this should have been an anime feature rather than a game.

I'd like to point out a few things I have noticed, which may be of interest to some people.

This game will reward those who look closely at their environment.
There are plenty of little details to enjoy.
One of them is the graffiti on the walls, which are sometimes hilarious and sometimes pretty sad.
It is a shame that only a few of those are actually translated in the game (the ones which will help advance the story).

There are also other details which will only strike a chord with you if you know Japanese culture, such as broken paper-fish decorations or a ragged "yu" (public bath) sign.
The shops and advertising posters in the underground system are also very entertaining.
My wife (who is Japanese) keeps recognizing many of the places depicted in the game, so I can tell the developers of this game have been pretty faithful to the actual locations.

As you can probably tell by now, I only use this game to look around and enjoy the derelict environment.
I only advance the story to see more of it.

I also would like to mention the music, which is also very good. It includes a couple of eerie pieces sung by the beautiful Teshima Aoi.

As a game, I wouldn't rate this at more than three stars.
As an experience, I find it very evocative and rewarding.
on 12 March 2015
I haven't played a lot yet, so I can't comment on the story. However, it seems to be a dark and broody tale - though the overall visual design is reminiscent (prescient?) of the later Tales games. The little I've seen so far indicates that this game is first and foremost about the story - in terms of gameplay mechanics there really isn't much to talk about. And since I've played so little, I'm in no position to do even that. One thing I have to say, though, is that the game's use of the Wiimote doesn't work out very well with my set-up, but maybe I just have a bad Wiimote? (Communication issues between Wiimote and WiiU; fiendish work trying to line up the flashlight properly.) Those issues are what keeps me from slapping a 4 on this. (That and, well, actually experiencing the story. Have to complete Xenoblade first...)

This is the first Wii-game I've played that uses the Wiimote speaker. Feels a bit strange at first, but it seems well integrated into the game. Credit where credit is due: This was a great design choice.
on 17 January 2012
Still haven't finished the game but from what I've seen so far, I can't fault much. The graphics are great, not top notch like on the PS3 and XBOX 360 but they don't NEED to be (I personally don't care much for realistic graphics all the time- if I want to see something realistic I'll look outside my bedroom window).

The graphics aren't supposed to be realistic and have a charming animé look to it, which makes the game look really cute despite the sad story that is Fragile Dreams. I get where people are coming from though- Nintendo constantly claim that the Wii is powerful and can support much better graphics, but they never quite give us much proof, and never do the console much justice. Ah well.

The english dubbing is rarely atrocious in my opinion, but you are given the option of playing the game in the original Japanese with subtitles, which is really good! The character scripts do make you chuckle from time to time, especially what Sai says sometimes! ^.^ Also, if you have watched animés such as Wolf's Rain or played Tales of Symphonia 2, you'll recognise that Kiba's, Emil's and Seto's voices are done by the same voice actor :)

I agree that the combat is rather simple and not very challenging. Not to brag, but I say that because I started the game off with a bamboo sword which eventually broke and I've nearly finished the game almost exclusively using the broken bamboo sword. I've hardly ever died in the game. Using broken weapons does make life more difficult and can be challenging when you're greatly outnumbered by those annoying jellyfish monsters that call their friend and gang up on you. For every one of them you kill they summon like 3 more, so unless you switch to a more powerful weapon and kill them all quickly (or run away), you'll die. But at least it makes the game slightly more difficult, and less of a bore.

This aside, there are some vaguely creepy monsters, the ghost brides crying and cackling really gets under my skin.

As much as I really like the game, I feel that there's a lot that isn't explained throughout, and maybe it could do with a bit more of that. As I go through the game collecting memories, I can't help but think what the purpose actually is, as they don't really connect or reflect what happened to the world. Most of the time the memories just say stuff that hint at an apocalyptic event that's approaching or already happened, but that's pretty obvious from the beginning of the game. Maybe they explain everything in the end? Again as I mentioned before, I'm yet to complete it!

You can expect this game to last you a good 10 hours of gameplay on average and it may not have much replayability but I see this game as a keeper!