Tonight Josephine
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 June 2015
Sold on the basis that it was similar to Caro Emeralds work. It isn't anything of the the kind and most certainly not even near her class!

The first five, or so, tracks are all too alike and, yes, they do sound slightly 1920's (ish) with a little imagination, but come the sixth or seventh, the style changes altogether to mimic (maybe) a Michael Buble type of thing. Somebody wrote here, on Amazon review, that this is their best work yet. Given that recommendation, I'd say ignore the silly picture on the front (which has no bearing upon the material within) and just forget you ever looked at any Tape Five offerings
on 23 May 2013
It's a bit disco ,the cover sleeve deceives I don't think there are any songs that I would remember the following day after listening to them
on 24 June 2011
Amazon have this as "frequently bought together with" Caro Emerald's Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor, which is how I found Tape Five. Intruiged by the other reviews and, lets be honest, drawn by the album cover, I popped over to amazon.com to hear some samples of the album. Another reviewer has written more eleoquently about their music than I can but, suffice to say, Tape Five now have a new fan. Can't recommend highly enough.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 October 2011
Like other reviewers, I was brought to this album via Caro Emerald's excellent 'Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor'. The comparison is a good one, but as delightful as Caro Emerald's album is, this offering from Tape Five is quite simply stunning. The strength of the writing, both musically and lyrically, combined with exquisite production is a pure joy to listen to. This is, without doubt, one of the best albums I have heard in many years.

Each song stands out, with terrific little nods to swing music of bygone years, even down to vinyl 'scratches' and distortion on the vocals as though they were recorded on those great old microphones that looked like huge Victory V lozenges. Smooth brass, infectious percussion and 'hotel foyer' piano are overlaid with synth noises and sampled vocals; little reprises of some of the musical motifs provide a jaunty reminder, and the whole thing simply oozes sophistication in the production. In places the songs have their tongue firmly in their cheek, but at no time does any of the trickery start to wear thin - everything about the album is perfectly balanced. Having produced a variety of music in the past, I can appreciate the enormous effort that has gone into this album.

Like a fruit pastille (which we know can't be held in the mouth without chewing) I believe it's impossible to listen to Tape Five without a part of you, or indeed all of you, dancing. Whether you listen to swing or jazz or not, if you like good music this should be in your collection. Fabulous fun!
on 16 June 2016
I have numerous early Rock & Roll and jive CD's as well as old swing music of various types including the more recent 'Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor', but I also enjoy lots of current music. I have recently heard some Electro Swing on the radio and TV and decided to dip into it with two CD's, this Tape Five CD was one of them. Played it through and was very pleased with the tracks and feel this will grow on me, great to listen to on long car trips or at home. Good up to date version of some of the older music I already enjoy, but I only gave 4 stars as it does not have that raw feeling you get from the original older music.
on 24 June 2013
I bought this based on Amazon recommendations from my buying history. I listened to one and a half tracks before having to turn it off. I found the tracks were over-produced to the point of sucking any spontaneity out of the music, lyrics were banal and the vocal delivery too forced. Suggest have a listen before you choose to buy or stick with some of the original music of this sort. Maybe I'm wrong because everyone else seems to like it
on 1 July 2014
Bought another album and this was a recommend buy. It took a few times listening to it to hook me as the songs are soo different to one another and I was only listening to it whilst getting ready. The fact that the songs are so different to one another makes the album fresh each time you put it on. I have been caught a few times at traffic lights singing and doing shoulder dance to this album it is upbeat and great, it is also seductive and smooth ....buy it you will know which songs I am talking about.
on 9 June 2014
I was following Caro Emerald when Tape Five was recommended. Never heard of them and thought it was a Josephine Baker album called tape 5. I listened to a few samples and bought it. I thought it was £7.99 not £17.99 a complete shock to the system and I don't know how it can be justified. Yes, the music was good but I think it went off theme towards the end. Like most albums, not so good 'fillers' are added to make up the numbers.
However, my wife thought differently, and loved the last few tracks.
So good music overpriced.
on 5 December 2017
Just discovered electro-swing and LOVE this group and their funky, catchy numbers. Everyone I play it to loves them as well!
on 28 September 2010
Based on this album alone,long may the current European electro swing movement continue.I think it is safe to say the UK has a bit of catching up to do in this area,although I notice Sky TV slipping in the odd bit of swing during various trailers these days.
This is classy swing dance music of the highest order.For those familiar with this type of music the name Brenda Boykin should be enough to justify a purchase! Electro swing is not really to sit and listen to;its intention is to get several parts of your anatomy moving to the beat. A blend of swing jazz with electro disco funky beats to spice up the mix.Upbeat tempo abounds with a few surprises in the form of Far Far Away-yes this is a swing version of the old Slade hit and it works really well and also (I believe) an old classic 'Birds Like It'. A whole album of electro swing can sometimes sound a bit similar but the rhythms and melodies mixed here are a nice variety.I d.j.ed a party recently and electro swing music goes down a storm.I suspect people are just glad to hear decent beats that don't sound like products of TV show talent factories. Recommended for anyone born with rhythm in their heart!If I could I would award a sixth star for the sexy girl on the cover!
0Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse