on 25 October 2011
Like other reviewers, I was brought to this album via Caro Emerald's excellent 'Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor'. The comparison is a good one, but as delightful as Caro Emerald's album is, this offering from Tape Five is quite simply stunning. The strength of the writing, both musically and lyrically, combined with exquisite production is a pure joy to listen to. This is, without doubt, one of the best albums I have heard in many years.

Each song stands out, with terrific little nods to swing music of bygone years, even down to vinyl 'scratches' and distortion on the vocals as though they were recorded on those great old microphones that looked like huge Victory V lozenges. Smooth brass, infectious percussion and 'hotel foyer' piano are overlaid with synth noises and sampled vocals; little reprises of some of the musical motifs provide a jaunty reminder, and the whole thing simply oozes sophistication in the production. In places the songs have their tongue firmly in their cheek, but at no time does any of the trickery start to wear thin - everything about the album is perfectly balanced. Having produced a variety of music in the past, I can appreciate the enormous effort that has gone into this album.

Like a fruit pastille (which we know can't be held in the mouth without chewing) I believe it's impossible to listen to Tape Five without a part of you, or indeed all of you, dancing. Whether you listen to swing or jazz or not, if you like good music this should be in your collection. Fabulous fun!
24 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2016
I have numerous early Rock & Roll and jive CD's as well as old swing music of various types including the more recent 'Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor', but I also enjoy lots of current music. I have recently heard some Electro Swing on the radio and TV and decided to dip into it with two CD's, this Tape Five CD was one of them. Played it through and was very pleased with the tracks and feel this will grow on me, great to listen to on long car trips or at home. Good up to date version of some of the older music I already enjoy, but I only gave 4 stars as it does not have that raw feeling you get from the original older music.
on 25 September 2013
What an amazing CD ! I can't really identify the type of music on this CD other than to say it sometimes sounds like 1920's Jazz which is mixed with electronic input of the 21st century. However, whatever is is it makes for a fantastic and enjoyable experience. when playing this I find if I close my eyes I get transported back to a Berlin nightclub sometime in the pre-war eara.

A great CD, but rather like Marmite, you either love it or hate it !
on 1 July 2014
Bought another album and this was a recommend buy. It took a few times listening to it to hook me as the songs are soo different to one another and I was only listening to it whilst getting ready. The fact that the songs are so different to one another makes the album fresh each time you put it on. I have been caught a few times at traffic lights singing and doing shoulder dance to this album it is upbeat and great, it is also seductive and smooth ....buy it you will know which songs I am talking about.
on 9 June 2014
I was following Caro Emerald when Tape Five was recommended. Never heard of them and thought it was a Josephine Baker album called tape 5. I listened to a few samples and bought it. I thought it was £7.99 not £17.99 a complete shock to the system and I don't know how it can be justified. Yes, the music was good but I think it went off theme towards the end. Like most albums, not so good 'fillers' are added to make up the numbers.
However, my wife thought differently, and loved the last few tracks.
So good music overpriced.
on 1 February 2013
Having read the review I thought I should grow up and mature from my usual diet of Iron Maiden and such. Lets have a change to something completely different. It only took one listen to the cd and that was it, in a word ""fantastickle" that seems like a good way to describe the music. Seriously folks this is enjoyable easy listening music that is a great alternative to much of he pap sold today. I love it
on 17 October 2013
This is one of Tape Fives best CDs. Modern take on past sounds and all carried out with excellent vocal and instrumental excellence.

Not the cheapest of CDs but I'm pleased with the music and smooth transaction.
on 7 January 2013
Having read the other reviews from people who bought this album I was a bit disappointed on the first listen but having played it a few more times now it has grown on me. I thought it would all be kinda swing and its not, there are a number of different sounds but all in all a good album and I can skip the couple of tracks I am not so keen on
One person found this helpful
on 1 May 2012
Found this when checking out scenes from the cutting room floor and was blown away by its originallity, nice to hear something that isn't a bunch of boy/girl band wanabies. Best original sound ive heard sine the talented Emerald and late but very missed Whinehouse.
on 5 December 2017
Just discovered electro-swing and LOVE this group and their funky, catchy numbers. Everyone I play it to loves them as well!