on 26 May 2017
We may have differences in culture or religious belief, but the important thing is to concentrate on what we have in common.

Although this is not a Buddhist religious book, the humanity of his Buddhist beliefs come through on every page.
on 17 January 2001
In this book the Dalai Lama has given an answer to all of us who have questioned our motivation in life or ever said, "yep, it's a messed up world but what can you do?" Going out of his way to avoid promoting Buddhism or even looking through Buddhist perspective, he confronts even the most sensitive of issues (genetic science, GM food ect.) with compassion, wisdom and an understanding of what it is to be human, where-ever your from, that is without compare outside Shakespeare. I am not one to rave about a book in this manner without reason, but this is one of those books that upon reading it you feel the need to buy it for everyone you know, in the hope that they too may put their copy down feeling happier, wiser, humble yet full of optimism for the future. I urge you to read this book so strongly I cannot find words to express it.
on 14 May 2013
I love this book. It's one I keep going back to and reading again. It's beautifully written and the content is wonderful. Highly recommend.
on 20 July 2017
The ultimate book of humanity
on 9 November 2015
on 6 April 2002
Although I found this a bit slow to get going, with the opening couple of chapters surely rather obvious to most of us in the Western world these days, this is an excellent book. The Dalai Lama carefully puts forward universal principles that can inspire all humanity in the direction of fundamental personal happiness.
Some Buddhist terms are used (e.g. "nying-je" = the supreme emotion of love and compassion, "chi-sem" = universal consciousness), but the author is far more interested in embracing ALL religious and non-religious perspectives. "Whether or not a person is a religious believer does not matter much. Far more important is that they be a good human being". His approach is practical too. There are countless everyday examples of possible moral and ethical choices, with clear observations and comments on the consequences. An awareness of the fundamental interconnectedness of ourselves and those around us is a major theme.
Through the application of moral principles to a very broad range of human experiences, the Dalai Lama inspires a practical, intelligent, spiritual awareness and sense of responsibility in the reader. The approach is balanced, rational and compassionate. Great words to be absorbed and acted upon.
on 8 November 2003
Although it seems redundant to add another voice to this chorus of praise I cannot resist doing it: this book really IS so good. It does not promote sensational new ideas for universal ethics, it just shows with unprecedented clarity that the basic principles we need are quite simple and make common sense, and it IS possible to overcome negative habits and learn virtues. The author as a person is strongly present in the text and makes it credible. He lives what he preaches, and he sounds like his smile: vital, joyful and with a heartwarming sense of humour, never moralistic, never boring. You don't have to be holy to enjoy this book, and you don't have to be a Buddhist. I agree with the other reviewers: Read it!!!!
on 13 April 2003
This book was an excellent read!!! I had expected a book steeped in religious belief but it is highly readable for everyone from all walks of life and religious backgrounds (or not). The Dalai Lama teaches lessons in just being the type of person we all like to be around, you know the type, they make you feel loved and safe, they are trustworthy and gentle. The poem on the last page sums it up beautifully (you'll have to buy it to read it).
on 3 February 2011
I have always found it hard to believe in 'A God'. Reading this book talked to me of things we all need in this life, and yet are hard to find reference to without having to climb inside a Bible. Reading this Man's words, I have the feeling I am listening to an old friend, and understanding what's there, although some deep thinking is required, is not hard...I gained from this experience greatly.
on 25 January 2005
I am not religious at all but I do believe in being in harmony with the world and each other. This book makes so much sence and is very inspiring. I would recommend it to everyone it makes you think and maybe if we can all take just something away from reading this book then the world will be a better place.