• Wired

Customer reviews

Wired
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 12 September 2014
Fantastic flute playing from the talented McGoldrick. Whilst not traditional folk music as such, it is grounded in traditional playing with some other interesting sounds thrown in occasionally. Very mellow sounds, I love playing this at a campsite.
One person found this helpful
on 25 March 2009
This is another superb CD from Mike McGoldrick. His playing of whistles and pipes is always consistent and imaginative. I don't always go with the Donald arrangements but I find all "capercaillie" style productions grow on you, especially in the car.
I still prefer McGoldrick's 1st CD which is the place to start but if you like MG then this is excellent.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2009
I bought this as a birthday present for my husband - we had been to see Michael McGoldrick and friends live and really enjoyed the concert - and hoped this CD would be as good. It is excellent, in some ways better than the selection live as there is a varied range of compositions on this CD ranging from very traditional music to more modern style and an ethnic asian flavoured track. All in all a great album and this is man well worth going to see.Wired
3 people found this helpful
on 28 September 2008
Mikes two albums, numerous trips to Celtic Connections and playing them over and over encouraged me to learn the flute.....The playing ranges from hypnotic and reflective to 'go for it' dance music.....Occasionally I run with music and if I am flagging its impossible not to smile and just let go like a lunatic when the first few bars of Hillsbrook reels come on.Conversely , 'strange journey' is simply a fantastic haunting tune which transports me to places that mean a lot ...the infusion of jazz with the flute adds to the whole experience.The first track and the story behind the Honesty Bar sums up many of the people in trad music that i have met and I love it. On 'Famous last words' there is the looping tabla playing creating a great effect and I like the 'world music'influences. The last track Desert Road is a fitting tribute to Mike's skills and passion....uplifting,reflective and haunting.
I don't think many people would be disappointed by either of these albums and I hope he makes another one soon!
4 people found this helpful
on 21 February 2012
Mike Mc Goldrick is quite simply a genius. These type of performers come around once in a lifetime. Mike is also the most approachable guy you could ever wish to meet. I have had the sheer pleasure of listening to many live performances by Mike and anyone who has been to one of his concerts will agree that his music either live or on CD is exactly the same. A great performer a really down to earth person who is a credit to the music and to himself. The only real word to describe Mike and his music is - GENIUS.
2 people found this helpful