on 16 October 2014
A most extraordinary account of this famous battle.
The people involved pull no punches at all when describing the horrors they endured. They tell it as it is, simply, vividly, honestly and without regret. It really made me think how frightful war is and what a terrible terrible waste of human life there was. War is futile.
on 10 October 2011
I bought this as we were visiting the Somme on holiday in France and I read it just before we went. It put a lot of what we saw into perspective and made the visits to places like Thiepval and Loghnagar Crater more real and meaningful. A very moving and at times entertainlng book. More than just history.
on 12 May 2014
Being born and bred in Accrington, I have read a great deal about the Accrington Pals. The accounts in this book by the very people that were in or fought alongside the Accrington Pals are most interesting and I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the subject matter.
on 28 July 2011
This book documents the well known battle of the Somme. But to me it does so with a difference. It purely focuses on the at times abysmal struggle that British soldiers had to go through at the Somme.

The visceral descriptions of the soldiers accounts make the reader feel every single crash, bang and all the fear that was associated with being a soldier as part of this tactically mismanaged battle.

There is a lot of literature written on this battle, but this like all other "forgotten voices" accounts tells the story in the best way possible to me, by the people who experienced it and were actually there.

I think such a masterful collection of memoirs should be more widely published so that people can see the tremendous sacrifice and hardship these men went through so that we today don't have to.
on 26 October 2016
Impressive!! Book arrived in time and well packed! as for contents, I have to say, it is a great book. Letter and impression of those soldiers, are a great testimony of what the Great War was on the Somme.
on 12 November 2013
Excellently written, an extremely moving portrayal by the men who were there, gives a real sense of how
incredibly awful the situation was, and how much we owe to these men, heroes one and all.
on 31 January 2014
I love reading about WW1 and this was ok but also the life prior and after this battle and the soldiers insight to how they coped from the Private, NCO's and the odd Officer
on 8 January 2016
this brings to life the Somme as experienced by the ordinary soldier through to senior commanders at a personal level. Vivid, fascinating, shocking. impossible to put down
on 6 September 2016
I love this book and all the books in the Forgotten Voices series. Although not in depth you get a real impression for what the soldiers thought, felt an encountered.
on 31 December 2013
Along with Max Arthur and others this chronicles the reality of war from the soldiers' perspective without sentiment. Invaluable for understanding WW1.