on 31 January 2011
The reason why I bought this book was that I am a great SF and Fantasy fan. I will not go into all the typos, grammar and at times odd sentence structure as I feel most people have done so already. English is not my first language but even I stumbled a lot.
However I thought the concept of the story itself was brilliant, engaging and well paced even so there were a lot of lengthy fighting scenes.
This book could become an excellent SF series if worked out and on a little bit more. I felt there were too many loose ends and the characters (which are actually very likeable) would benefit from more depth and detail as they were very onedimensional. The ending of the book left me disappointed as it left a lot of my questions unanswered.
It would have been interesting to know how this world with this city of two layers came about. Why could people from down below don't go anywhere else? What were the borders of the city 'down below' and 'up'? What is the down below?
I know if this book would be rewritten in a more detailed and descriptive way I definately would read it again as I just think that the concept of the book is brilliant.
Because of the lack of depth, detail and a lot of unanswered questions only 3 stars.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2011
As some other reviewers have said there are some errors with even the current edition however it in no way detracted from my enjoyment of this book.

I found the read to be fast and furious even staying up late to read it at times.

I wanted to know more about the characters and really wanted to know about the ordinary citizens my only criticism would be that the character of Tanya was so irritating I wanted her to die.

Really looking forward to reading the second book.

An author to watch if this is the quality of his writing.
on 22 March 2017
Very happy with the product
on 29 April 2013
I am a keen Sci-Fi reader and have read most of the "classics" and top 100 list books as well as many that aren't. I mention this only to set the context for this review. In Brief, this book has a simple but effective story line and is well written. The book falls into the post-apocalyptical genre and is in my humble view a credible study on society and human nature. The book deserves support and falls firmly into the categories of "worth buying" and "I hope the author continues to publish".

The fact that this book was free, is both amazing and sad, amazing because the author deserves paying and sad because it highlights how difficult is must be for anyone to earn a living from e-books. There are many popular publishing house books for sale in e-format which are frankly garbage and their prices, often the same as hard copy, excessive. That fact that good quality books, like this, are made available free but still struggle to gain a profile and publicity highlights the needs for the publishing industry to get its act together.
on 28 November 2010
When I first began reading this book, I didn't expect a novel quite as dark as this. It has sort of haunting imagery that really stuck with me.

The story follows a few people, switching perspectives frequently, but not so much that it's confusing or troublesome. The plot is enthralling and it's hard not to care about the fate of the characters which not only occupy Old Haven (the city below) but those few you become attached to in New Haven (the city above).

It is actually rather difficult to sum up this book in a few lines. The Citizens, on the surface city of New Haven, think they have a perfect life but as an outsider you realize it's all smoke and mirrors. There is no freedom, they just live in a pretty cage. For those that live underneath, they make their own choices and have absolute control over their decisions, but the choices they have are rather meager. They face starvation and capture at every turn. Their world is complicated and dangerous and you cannot help but hope for them to see the sun again, no matter the cost.

The ending is an exciting but absolutely heartbreaking twist that has left me eagerly awaiting the sequel.
on 26 December 2010
There are a number of typing errors and mistakes in the Kindle version of this book, and whilst this is not ideal, it didn't detract from my enjoyment and reading of the book so I am not going to mark the book down on that basis; it was not really the author's fault.

The plot behind this book is fantastic. The story is well-paced, with plenty of action, yet the author also displays an ability to slow down to allow the reader to catch breath without making me feel like i'm going to fall asleep completely or that i'm being fed some nonsense to 'fill out' the story line.

I felt that the book was going to be very predictable in places, but it really was not. There are plenty of interesting details and mysteries which were resolved only near the end of the book. The weakest part of the book in my opinion was the very end. I won't go into detail here because I don't want to spoil the experience for others, needless to say that the end has been left very open for a sequel but seemed to lack the real 'punch' that it could have had given the strong nature of the rest of the book. One other thing which bothered me slightly is that i kept finding my mind drifting, thinking about what is at the 'edge' of haven since they can't possibly have built it 'up there' across the whole world , it is only one city, and this made me continually wonder why those left down below didn't try to escape to another city. I count it as a good thing that my mind wandered as it means the story made me stop and think.

The characters are strong and believable in all instances, with well developed personalities portrayed clearly in the plot which leave you in no doubt what each person is really like if you were to stand in front of them and speak to them yourself. All this great characterisation was achieved without long boring diatribes explaining minute details as is so often seen in many books and in a more natural and flowing manner as the story unfolded.

I noticed some reviewers have commented on some of the dark themes behind the book. I actually didn't find the themes too much or over the top at all and although dark, none of it was out of place and fitted in perfectly with the whole storyline which gave an air of realism and credibility to the whole thing.

This is one of the few books I might consider reading for a second time, I really enjoyed it and very much look forward to the sequel(s). I would love to see the errors in this digital edition corrected as it really lets down what is a very good piece of work and a real entertaining read.
on 19 December 2010
Again, this was another free book I found on the "Top 100 Free" list.

An excelltent read, fast paced and leaves the reader wanting to know "what happens next?!" This is a well written novel, however the numerous typos do irritate after a while, for that reason this merits only a 4 star rating. I'll definitely be looking out for a sequel, the ending leaves you screaming "but what happens......?!"
on 3 January 2011
I have to admit to being surprised by the other reviews here and the high scores. Although the story line is interesting (and that's what gets the 2 stars), the writing itself is very poor (and this is not including all the typos). It reads as though written by someone very young and inexperienced, with most characters being cliches of one kind or another. The characterisation and interaction between characters is almost painful in it's immaturity. Yes, it's worth the 49p i paid for it but certainly no more than that. Mind you, I could see it making a very good film!
on 21 September 2011
I have to agree with some of the comments from the low scoring reviewers. Although I loved the idea of the elite living in their guilded cage leaving the less desireables to their fate below it was a bit too blood and gore for my taste. Every page seemed to have the thwack of bullets on flesh or the sound of bones being crunched to powder. The main heroine, if that's what she was, was portrayed as a streetwise kid who is relied on by the underworld powers but is bailed out of trouble time and time again by the mysterious Malcolm. The other female who makes a brief appearance is the Russian Tanya who throws a hissy fit as soon as anyone looks at her. All the characters were pretty one dimensional and I didn't really give a hoot what became of them. I did read it to the end because I will finish a book I have started but I really wish I'd never started this one. As one reviewer said, it did sound as if the writer was very young so better luck next time.
on 14 May 2013
I liked this story, despite some short comings. The basic premise is not original (from metropolis to the excellent Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove) but the storyline is, never the less, still interesting and enjoyable. However, for me there was a random element in it that was really out of place and that was the alien-skin-grafted Malcolm. I could have enjoyed the story more with either no alien or more alien, but not a 'touch of alien'.
I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Exodus (Uprising, Exodus - I take it Mr. Kemppainen is a Bob Marley fan!), but I would also like him to produce a PREQUEL to cover the creation and separation of New Haven in more detail.