Customer reviews

Talking to You, Talking to Me
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 February 2010
The Watson Twins don't seem to have a particular "thing", by which I mean there's nothing gimmicky about their music, the style isn't uniquely "them" or even instantly recognisable in the way more idiosyncratic or even showy acts seem to be.

However, before appearing to damn with faint praise, I ought to add that what the Twins certainly are is in love with song. As such and like many talented artists who share that particular obsession, they seem to be drawn to soul and country. Fair enough - all musical roads worth following eventually end up in either place, or at least they should. So, where their previous album, "Fire Songs" leant quite noticeably in a country direction, soul is by far the more dominant sister on this consistently satisfying and very beautiful collection.

The album mixes this with a generous, welcoming and contemporary pop sensibility, which makes for a very enjoyable listen from the off. In the end, however, what convinces more than anything are the songs, nearly all straight out of the top drawer and presented to us mere mortals just exactly as they need to be. "Forever Me, Forever You" and "Midnight" in particular are old school soul outings quite devastating in their emotional pull, but picking highlights really isn't necessary here.

Sorry to the ladies, but I have to deduct a star for the shockingly twee "Tell Me Why", which I'm sure is destined to wear out a lot of skip buttons - what were they thinking? That being said, 12 swings and 11 home runs is certainly something I'd settle for from the rest of my CD collection and I can't be alone in that.

This is a real treat and I can only recommend it. Anyone who enjoys Hazeldine, Shelby Lynne or even early Roberta Flack should form an orderly queue, to be joined by those who appreciate Tindersticks' wonderful "Can Our Love" - now that's praise, believe me.
on 14 December 2011
Possibly one of my favourate albums of the last couple of years, the voices are stunning and the music is even better, haunting melodies that will captivate and amaze, with a brilliant mix of pulsating songs. I know music is very personal but I can only say it as I hear it.