TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 August 2017
I loved it. It is one of these books you can't put down once your start. I am a lover of conspiracy theories, so, Angels and Demons appealed to me. I only bought it because the author is well known but I did not expect it to be so good. I thought it would be a lot of hype and little substance. Nope, you can feel a lot of research has been done. Robert langdon's character is great and you would like to know more about his life, why he is still a bachelor etc... but the best bits were about the history of the Illuminati and the science bits. This I really enjoyed while learning a lot.
Sometimes, the descriptions do go on a bit, like if you are in a classroom, so, I may have fastworded the reading a bit. Mea culpa! but I will still rate this book 5 stars.
I did not write about the plot, plenty of other reviewers have done this much better than I would.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2016
Not the first book by Dan Brown but the first book to feature Robert Langdon who is a well fleshed out believable and likeable character. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader occupied whilst posing thought provoking questions about science and God.
A word of caution, this has been made into a film but the films were made in the wrong order with this book being made second and several characters and their actions and motives were altered substantially for the film, so if you saw the film and were dissatisfied try the book as I am certain you will not be disappointed. After all, the original source material is nearly always better than the Hollywood interpretation.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2017
I've never read any of Dan Brown's books before and was looking for something a bit different to read. As his new book Origin has just been released, I thought I'd have a look at the Robert Langdon series from the beginning. When I saw it was on offer on Amazon - I knew it was the perfect time try out the series. All in all a great story and one that definitely keeps you interested. The story moves along at a good pace, however there are one or two parts which could be slightly shorter but it doesn't detract from the book. The writing was very good and the descriptions of Rome and the Vatican were great. I loved the twists at the end, although I did suspect one of them from an earlier part of the book! I gave it 4 stars because it was a good book and an enjoyable read but it didn't blow me away. I have however purchased the other books in the Robert Langdon series and will delve into them between other reads.
One person found this helpful
on 21 May 2016
I have come to the Dan Brown party very late, having started reading in retirement and I have enjoyed the fast moving, if incredible plots. This is my third and a pattern has emerged. The eligible, intelligent, charming bachelor, Robert Langdon being drawn unwittingly into a complex and at times unbelievable sequence of events. These invariably include murders or mutilations, secret societies, a young attractive woman, mega rich people with hidden agendas and a nutter on the loose killing people, either under misguided direction or because he has an axe to grind. You cannot argue with the amount of research undertaken to write these books, both historic content and geographical information but you never quite know where the line is between fact and fiction. On balance, if you accept the incredibility of many of the situations RL gets into (and usually incredibly gets out of them), the stories are good fun but time now for a break before the next one.
on 21 November 2016
A leading scientist at CERN is murdered and his creation (antimatter) is stolen and placed inside the Vatican. The Illuminati, long thought to have ceased to exist are again threatenings the church with total and absolute destruction, the pope is dead and the four cardinals most likely to succeed him have been kidnapped. Robert Langdon, a symbologist is hired by the director of CERN to investigate. Along with Vittoria Vetra, the daughter of the murdered scientist, Langdon takes his investigation to Rome and the Vatican where he encounters deception, puzzles and murder. From beginning to end I enjoyed the book and would read it again (even though I've just finished reading it for the second time), I recommend it to anyone who likes a good murder mystery, five stars from me. I'm now off to read Dan Browns sequel to angels and demons, The Davinci code.
on 31 August 2015
I thought this was a decent book. I think Dan Brown has a writing style that make his books page-turners. I may be putting my neck on the line as I know his writing style has been the subject of controversy along with his books. But heck I don't care what stuffy book critics say, I think he writes very well and delivers twists and turns along the way.

I guess any book that is written about religion will be subject to controversy; it is after all a controversial subject. But Brown is smart enough to weave crime fiction and religion together in a neat bundle and keep a good pace along the way.

So why not five stars one may ask. For me personally, I think he overcooked it. The end goes on for too long. I shan't spoil what happens at the end, but I have made my point. Would I recommend the book, despite not liking the end? You bet. Read, enjoy and then enjoy Da Vinci Code afterwards, I did and I plan to read the rest at some point....... once I am through all my other books I have stored up.
on 2 June 2017
Took a really long time to get into this book but once it got past the boring parts I couldn't put it down!
3 people found this helpful
on 9 February 2013
I purchased 'Angels & Demons' for my Kindle as soon as I finished reading 'The DaVinci Code'...another triumph for Dan Brown. Unfortunately, my crazy schedule dictates that I only manage to read a few pages at a time, so I haven't quite finished it yet. I loved the film, but I'm actually enjoying the book more. Having visited Rome, I am also able to relate personally to the locality of the story.
Both 'Angels & Demons' and 'The DaVinci Code' are hugely thought-provoking and raise quite controversial questions about the origins and foundation of religion and the influence of 'cult' organisations throughout history.
When a book leaves you wanting more and inspires you to research the underpinning topics (Ancient Symbology), as it has with me, then the author has achieved a very special kind of success...
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2009
This is the first book I have read of Dan Browns and I have to admit I found it entertaining.
The late Cardinal Hume wrote that science is not the enemy of the church. Wonder if DB knew this, because that is the book's plot.
It never ceases to amaze me how ubiquitous university lecturers such as Indiana Jones and Robert Langdon get into these fixes and come out squeakily unscathed at the other end.
On the negative side, it is far too long. 200 dry pages of physics before we get into the story for real. The idea of a scantily clad damselle physicist running around the Vatican made me cringe a bit. She must have been freezing in all those underground passages. And he did drag out the adventures of the Camarlengo, who was a wonderful character and who at one point moved me to sobs - the writing was so beautful. 100 pages before the end, I thought the book was finished, but no, he dragged it out a bit further.
In all fairness, Mr Brown does his research thoroughly, but then he changes it to suit himself. This of course necessitates endless debate and TV documentaries pointing out the true stories after the controversy Mr B. has created.
However, it is a good book and I am told the movie is brilliant - better than DVC.
At least in has convinced me that I must visit Rome some day. It will do wonders for tourism.
on 13 March 2016
This was the first book I had read of Dan Brown and I dare say I will try another before long. The plot was intriguing. It was a tad grisly for me but perhaps I'm rather squeamish! I liked his style rather than loved it but it ran well and I was able to read it fairly quickly, for me. A few twists and turns along the way too which keeps the interest up. Enjoyable and quite thought-provoking in terms of religion v. science.