on 29 June 2014
I wasn't sure I'd like this book - don't all stories contain half-truths? But, having started it, I couldn't stop. I'd describe the novel as a modern-day family saga, written from both male and female points of views. The writing is deft and touching, and you can't help feeling for the characters. In places the story is heart-breaking, but don't worry too much because the ending is perfect. It's easy to see what earned this book its Daily Mail award, even though I actually preferred one of Davis's later novels (I Stopped Time).

Just a tiny quibble. Some of the cemetery details didn't seem wholly authentic to me, though they worked well enough in the book.

Full of feeling, this is a story to savour.

(Disclosure: the author is known to me - we met at the London Book Fair 2014 - but she does not know I have read or reviewed her book.)
on 21 April 2013
As a working mum I do not get as much time as I would wish to read for pleasure. The dreaded commute is usually the only chance I have in fact. It is rather important to me therefore that I enjoy the experience while it lasts and I have to say I did - so much so that I missed my stop once... I liked the language and the warm style of writing, which made the story flow and the characters alive. I can see other readers commenting on the predictability of the plot and I suppose it was to some extend, (it could be because we are rather hard to surprise and please kind of generation), but this did not spoil the pleasure of reading for me. On the contrary, getting my own ideas, I was even keener to finish the book to find out if I was right. I am looking forward to the two new novels to be printed shortly and will definitely recommend to my friends.
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 January 2011
Andrea drew a family tree for a school project during her schooldays and this story demonstrates how her father's idea for a Venn diagram to illustrate families works better.

The story is narrated by 3 separate characters, Andrea, her aunt Faye and her Godfather Pete and follows the aftermath of the death of Andrea's parents (Laura and Tom)

The characters are well formed something that is demonstrated by the fact that each narrator sees them differently but the parts add up to a whole.

Although the story is fairly obvious it is so well written that this doesn't matter.

Fantastic first novel.
44 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 June 2015
This is the first novel I have read by this author and it was thoroughly enjoyable. It is a very human story, an engaging tale of family secrets and lies, told in turn from the viewpoints of all the main protagonists. The ending came as no great surprise but this story is not so much a mystery as a study of the characters and the life-changing decisions they have to make. It was beautifully and sympathetically written.
on 25 June 2016
A lovely and very sympathetic look at a thoroughly complex family set up that wouldn't be out of place in a modern day setting
on 21 April 2014
The author weaves a wonderful fabric of a story from many different threads creating a spellbinding, emotional tale which I enjoyed thoroughly. I am looking forward to reading the rest of her novels now.
on 14 October 2009
Ihave just finished this book. It was a fabulous read. Very few characters and you get to know them really well.
The plot is a complex family situation with problems and secrets caused by the actions of the characters.
It was a really easy read (sunny afternoon in a deck chair type). Couldn't wait to get to the end of the story to see if I had worked out all the little sub-plots. A good first novel by Jane Davis - I look forward to her next one. Do read it.
on 6 July 2014
I enjoyed the twists and turns in this book even though you knew where the ending was going , the path to it wasn't so obvious. The characters all had depth to them and as complicated as their relationships to each other were, I completely bought into them.
on 13 July 2014
Personal choices making for difficult decisions. Great characters and an intriguing plot.
on 6 March 2014
This story captivated me and I couldn't put it down!
I thought the plot and storytelling were fabulous. Looking forward to reading your other books