on 30 May 2009
I eagerly awaited this third part of the Secrets Of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series after reading The Magician last year and The Alchemyst the year before. I am so happy to say that this sequel did not disappoint..it absolutely excelled! The pace is fast and furious, the battles are epic, The Sorceress herself (you'll know who she is when you read the book!) is captivating and seriously powerful! The descriptions of the surroundings and settings in the book are rich and vibrant, you can see them so clearly while you read! There's the welcome return of some favourite characters from the first two books and the introduction of a few very exciting new ones, familiar historical names to many, but introduced in a living, breathing and sometimes comical way, if history was taught like this in schools no-one would ever leave their classes!
If you haven't read the first two books, then i'd recommend them also! Great for young teens through to retirement and beyond, this is a great all round fantasy series for anyone that appreciates a well written story and enjoys having a little magic in their life! This would have to be my #1 Summer Read recommendation to all! Plane, train or beach..this is the book to banish the clouds and bring out the sun!
on 21 February 2015
Brilliant author. Very interesting stories and good deep plots. Throughly enjoyed reading these books. I've got to book 5 I think and I've got board. It seems like one big story from book 1 that they've just had to split into a number of books because they've ran out of pages. There isn't any real differences in plots or story when you start the next book, it's like you've just started a new chapter where usually with books in a series, the next book is based months/years later. Hopefully I'll pick up the next book soon as I've bought them all. Not rated it lower as I have enjoyed the books.
on 10 September 2009
This book continues the story from book 2 and takes you on a wild, thought-provoking adventure in London. Each challenge leaves you wondering if the Alchemist and the twins can ever survive.
Hard to put down as each chapter brings new questions and you just have to read on!
Would highly recommend these stories if you like a mixture of supernatural magic, adventure, history and destiny!
Great third book of the series - the ending creates another mystery that needs anwers - can't wait for book four to be published!
on 14 September 2011
Michael Scott has created a series of young adult books that is right up there with Harry Potter for pure entertainment.

Action packed, full of magic and exciting set-pieces, The Sorceress continues the story of Josh and Sophie as they come to terms with their destiny as good battles evil. Using historical characters is a touch of genius and adds to the wonderment and splendour Michael White creates.

If you enjoy Harry Potter then give these books a try. You won't be disappointed.
on 12 July 2009
Michael Scott is a genius! The Sorceress is the 3rd book in the "Nicholas Flamel" series and what a series!! I am 25 and saw the first book, The Alchemyst, on the shelves of the local library. Having read Harry Potter and being a massive fan, I saw the name "Nicholas Flamel" and was instantly intrigued. And the books have so far not disappointed.

The accuracy of the books is amazing and as soon as I had read the first book I was logging on to the internet to see if all these mythical creatures (and immortals) were "real" or real myths. Scott has brought so many familiar names into the books and the Sorceress didn't disappoint with familiar names.....don't worry I won't spoil it!!!

My books have now been passed around the family and I can safely say they will get ANYONE of ANY AGE.....HOOKED. As soon I had finished and I had read the extract from the next book in the series, The Necromancer, I was left wanting more and more and more and I honestly don't think I can wait another year...aaahhhhhh.
The only upside is that they are planning, or are in the process, of making the books into films. I think The Alchemyst is due out this year..CAN'T WAIT.
on 27 August 2015
I have read many books from this, my preferred Genre although increasingly there have been few which have 'hooked' my interest and have left me wanting to read each book and then move on to the next.
Initially I purchased Book 1 (The Alchemyst) from a charity shop, as a cursory glance warranted a closer look. Once I started I sailed through books 1-2 and am just finishing this the third one in the series. I can't think of the last time I have read a series of books at this speed with it being not unknown for a book to take several months rather than days as in this case.
I particularly like the strong storyline and the link to historical and mythical characters. This adds to the undercurrent and main plot surrounding the main characters of Flamel Josh etc.
Dislikes? - I can honestly say that so far I have none and am enjoying this thoroughly.

Pleasantly this is in no way sterotyped or predictable and I am now looking forward to those further surprises within the remaining books in this lovely and unique collection.
on 18 January 2013
i hear they are makeing this series of book into a film. i carnt wait to see it. easliy rivals potter. an is a book for both young an old. i watch the calander with anticipatimg of the next book coming out, its soo good.
on 8 June 2012
Since reading the first book in this series, 'The Alchemist' I could not wait to get my hands on more, so I ordered the next two books. I have yet to reat them, but am looking forward to doing so on my forthcoming holiday.
on 5 August 2013
I'm totally hooked on these books.. in this one josh and sophie fight john Dee from a castle and moat made of cars.. and pernelle flamel well she is just my heroine.. showing kindness to those who tried to destroy her..
on 30 June 2009
I found out about this series of books in the Guardian newspaper shortly after the release of Deathly Hallows. The Paper had named these books as one of the most likely successor to Harry's crown. Over the last two years that premonition has not seemed to of materialized. However the Guardian reviewer at the time was not all wrong. Being a Passionate HP fan these books have been the next best thing I have found, that do give me a slight HP hit. You could almost say they are the methadone to Harry's heroin. To explain the plot would take me far to long. All I will say is that over the coarse of the 3 books so far published (6 in all) a grand adventure begins and continues, always rushing towards the next thrilling part of the
Journey are heroes find themselves on. This book more than the previous two really starts to take off and the mythology and world M. Scott has created really springs to life and gives you the idea that anything is possible with regards to the eventual outcome of the story. The books are not without fault. At times the lead characters aka the Twins are not as likeable as they could be. I understand that the author is heading down the " Anakin Skywalker" route and this might well be an essential plot device; however that does not mean that the reader should not care about the welfare of the twins. Sophie does give you some moments that make you care for her story, Josh mainly has you wishing Dee or anyone within the near by vicinity would give him a stern talking to or failing that push him off the nearest cliff! In Saying that the author has created some wonderful characters that really do keep you wanting more. Flamel and particularly his wife Parnella (a scene stealer if ever there was one) are as interesting as the legends that surround them. Dee and all his Dark Elder friends really give the sense of pure menace, while also managing not to be one dimensional like most villains littering the pages of young adult fiction (here's looking at you Twilight).

The writing is of a very high standard and the author is without question one clever guy. These books, just as the HP ones before them, are aimed at young adults. Just like HP though they really are a great read for any age.
Although it's a cliché to say I am not the type of person that writes a review. I decided to put some words down in the hope I could encourage people to purchase a book that I think most who are fond of this genere will enjoy. I also hope that the series and author really gets the credit they deserve. The bottom line is that this series of books are a fantastic read, that very much do exactly what it promises on the tin.
Five Stars