Customer reviews

A Spot of Bother
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 27 August 2017
I read Curious Incident (which I loved) eight years ago, which I’m glad about because I read this one in its own right and without comparing them overly. Gosh I enjoyed this book! It’s very different from my usual reading fodder (I’m a thriller addict) but I was absolutely absorbed by the characters and the minutiae of their modern family lives, which revolved around a family wedding. Funny and sad, giving insights into a small, almost claustrophobic world, the story built into a beautiful climax I was waiting for, and didn’t disappoint.
on 2 April 2016
I enjoyed this book because I like the way Mark Haddon creates very real, believable characters, people who I care for and, in some cases, can relate to. Strange how a book can be very funny but really touch on some sad stuff as well.
I have to say though, and I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a prude, but I just didn't want to hear that much of the amorous activity. I also found I had to skip a few pages because I'm very squeamish.( I'm being a bit vague because I'm trying not give away any of the story here.)

I thought the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime was absolutely brilliant and although not quite as good this is still very worthy of the 4 stars and I will definitely read more books by Mark Haddon
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 March 2017
This is a very light read suitable for the beach. It is written in a conversational style, mildly amusing and quickly forgettable. I chose it because the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is, in my view, a superb book. Unfortunately this has none of the genius and I wouldn't have guessed it was written by the same author
on 14 August 2017
Easy enough to read. A farce with some laugh out loud moments and some touching development of characters. But the trite repetitive bigotry against Working class people (rough; unintelligent and brash) and Christians (no fun; anti-gay) was grating and one dimensional
on 7 April 2017
The book itself came as hardback, in excellent condition and very quickly. It was our 'book club' read for April meeting. The story was not to my taste, it being a more introspective, psychological exploration of family relationships.
on 15 March 2017
At the heart of this family drama is an agonisingly sad story.
on 18 May 2017
Very good book...helped my niece immensely to improve her ready. Great story, really loved hearing her read this to me.
on 13 April 2014
I really enjoyed the black humour in this book. It did lapse a bit about three quarters of the way through. All in all a good holiday read
on 25 August 2017
Quite funny and sad at the same time.
on 4 March 2014
I'm not great at reading books cover to cover. I read this as part of a book club that I joined. After reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (the books are not related in any way), I knew that M.Haddon's writing style was one that engaged me.

I read the book effortlessly, I really empathised with the main character. I also think it touches the Mental Health subject that which is still considered to be quite taboo in a caring and insightful way.