on 13 June 2004
I have to say these books are my favourite all time reads, they are so unbelievable that you have to love them!
Becky Bloomwood/Brandon is back, now married for nearly a year to the sensible business man Luke (Mr Forgiving) Brandon. She is still up to her old tricks in this one buying things as usual that the rest of the sane planet would probably not dream of buying for her reasons.
only this time as the title suggests, Becky finds she has a sister - long and definately lost.
Instantly she dreams of having the sisterly love and dreaming of going shopping and sharing cappucinos and gossip.
We follow Becky from her honeymoon to her life back home and her ever long dreams and fantasies of her sister.
This book is hilarious, if you have read the other three then this one is definately worth reading and certainly for the last page! If you havent read the other three, read them first!
excellent a bug HUGE thumbs up and recommendation for this book! dont wait for paperback buy it NOW!
on 29 May 2004
I really enjoy reading the "shopaholic" series and it is just too funny, Shopaholic and Sister is no different. It's full of laughs and also a few sad bits too. And all along the way you are swept along with Becky in her journey. You can laugh at her outrageousness of spending, but we all know that there's someone like that in us somewhere. This book is funny and exactly like becky. It's not heavy, but light hearted fun which will have you into becky's world in no time. This is a really good book and I really recommend it to those who already read the shopaholic books and also those looking for something funny to read. fantastic
on 12 July 2004
I love all Sophie Kinsella's books and Shopaholic and sister didn't disappoint although admittedly I kind of preferred Can you Keep a secret? which was one of the funniest books I ever read. HOwever I hope Shopaholic and Baby isn't next because I'd hate any child to have such an irresponsible mother! God forbid but imagine Becky buying a new designer scarf with baby's food allowance???Kinsella is up there with the best and gives top comedy writers Marian Keyes, Marisa Mackle and Isabel Wolff a run for their money.
on 24 December 2005
Shopaholic & Sister is the latest in the Shopaholic series and it’s another sure-fire winner. Personally I’ve found that when you read a series of book such as this they start to weaken. The Shopaholic series isn’t at all like that. They continue to be just as funny as the first one.
Shopaholic & Sister opens with Becky & Luke on their honeymoon round the world trip. Finally growing tired of traveling after 10mths they decide to go home early. But not everyone is excited that they’re home. Not least Becky’s parents who have the unenviable task of telling Becky that she has a long lost sister she never knew about. Becky being Becky sees hours of girly hours and shopping with her sister ahead of her. But as is usually with real life…..things don’t go according to plan.
As with other Shopaholic books this one will have you laughing and cringing from page one. It’s funny, light-hearted and a great feel-good book. You can’t help but love Becky and you also can’t help but chuckle at the antics she gets up to.
on 18 March 2005
I loved The secret dreamworld, liked Abroad, laughed at ties the knot, but with this forth book I finnaly got enough of Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood)... I simply can't take her naivity and stupidity any longer. Not that all Chick-lit should have clever and brave protagonists, it's alright to be a little dim. But sometimes it is just too much. Way too much. I got so annoyed at BB at times. I found it unbelieveable how she actually got herself into all those embarrassing situations. I almost yelled at the pages: "Come on, it can't be that hard to just confess that you made at mistake!" I simply can't grasp how Luke can stand that horrible woman.
Enough is enough. But sadly I sense there is a "Shopaholic and baby" on it's way. I wonder if Becky finally grows up?
on 11 July 2004
At the end of the last book we left Becky preparing to go on a year long honeymoon with new husband Luke, travelling around the world.
We join her now after 10 months, in Sri Lanka at yoga practise. The begining of this book is brilliant, Despite have matured as a character this is still the Becky Bloomwood/Brandon we all know and love.
In my opinion it goes downhill quite quickly as they return home. Her parents are acting myserious, Suze has made a new bets friend with the 'Horsy' Lulu and even Luke has thrown himself back into business.
But I feel Becky has reverted back to the character we were first introuced to. Gone has the maturity she gained whilst learning from her mistakes, moving to New York and settling up by herself.
The storylines seem unrealistic from the gangaster who she owes a favour to, to eventually falling off a rocky peak. She in comparison does very little high street shopping that we see in this book, and spends the majority of the time in a small Cumbrian village.
The ending is also quite predictable, however what irriated me most about the ending is it's cliffhanger tendencies. Whilst the other books managed to tie up the story quite nicely but still leave room for more, this was completely left open with no real conclusion to the story,.
Despite all this, it is still an entertaining read, though not as good as the first 3, and definetely worth a look. I await any news of 'Shopaholic and baby' nervously.
on 1 May 2006
light hearted, funny and easy read. if you want a comical read and to cringe on every other page this ones for you! and if like most women you find it hard to walk away from a bargain you'll beable to sypathise with Becky and the situations she finds herself in! couldnt put it down.
on 17 March 2014
I love the Shopaholic books and the fourth book in the series is just as enjoyable and funny as the rest. This book is something of a 'filler' between the wedding and the fifth book in the series (won't spoil it just in case). But this is an important book in the series - not only is Becky settling into married life and trying to hide some of her shopping habits from her new husband Luke, but this book sees the introduction of Jess. It turns out Becky has a half-sister she and the rest of her family did not know about.

Whilst we all know what Becky is like with shopping (assuming that you know what Becky is like if you have managed to get as far as Book 4), then Jess is something of a contrast. She cannot stand shopping for fun and is very careful with how she spends money. But it turns out that Jess has passions of her own and Becky needs to try to understand this in order to build a relationship with her new sister. It brings a new balance to the series but it is still as funny as ever - Becky wouldn't be Becky if she wasn't getting into some mishaps.

Overall, another great read in the Shopaholic series and a book I read when I want something light-hearted, laugh-out-loud funny and if I just need cheering up then this brings a smile to my face.
on 7 July 2004
I was so sad when I finished "Shopaholic Ties the Knot," thinking that I'd never get to read about Becky again. I was SO surprised and happy to learn that Kinsella had written a 4th book, so instead of waiting for it to become available in Canada (who knows how long that's supposed to take???), I ordered my first Amazon UK book. As the other books, "Shopaholic and Sister" was such a light, funny, and all-round fantastic read! A lot of people are complaining that Becky comes across as too ridiculous and annoying in this book, but I have to disagree. It's all just too funny! These books are like drugs. They're an escape from the real world, and I hope so much that Kinsella decides to write a 5th. I will definitely order "Shopaholic and Baby" from Amazon UK, too, because I just won't be able to wait!!!
on 3 August 2015
I've read all the Shopaholic books and have enjoyed them, up to this one. The character Luke just gives me whiplash. One day he is happy, then he is an absolute tool to Becky, then he says sorry and he's nice again... back and forth same thing. Ugh. I finished reading the book as I want to finish the series, however, if Luke continues his emotional roller coaster I will stop reading.