Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 19 January 2004
This is an amazingly honest book in which the reader shares the heart-rending agonies of an atrociously abused child. I was absolutely gripped from the beginning and will carry the memories of the horror and the heroism for a long time. Julie Gregory has a style which enables the reader to walk beside her and witness 1st hand the traumas of her childhood. With an amazingly forgiving and non-judgemental recall, she allows the reader to view her life through the eyes of her mother/abuser and herself. A fantastic read but be warned, you may not be able to tear yourself away!
on 17 October 2004
It's hard to imagine (being a mother myself) how any mother can put her child through such an ordeal. I read the book in a weekend and although I did feel 'sickened' at what the mother was doing, I felt such admiration for Julie Gregory who, after all her mother out her through, just wanted her love and approval. The relationship she had with her father and brother was severly tainted by her Mother's absolute insistance that her daughter was ill. The most haunting part of the book for me was the fact that she has been allowed to get away with it again with her foster daughter. Julie Gregory is campaigning to make more people, social workers, doctors etc.. aware of MBP and should be supported, after all she went through as a child!
on 22 February 2004
'Sickened' is a haunting and disturbing account of a childhood. Gripped by a fascinated horror, I read this book within 24 hours although it will stay with me for a long time. Julie Gregory's memoir is honest and written without self-pity, it is an extraordinary account of one woman's escape from a painfully abusive life. It is interesting that even when Julie becomes aware of MBP it is still difficult for her to cut the 'unbillical cord', she still yearns for love and acceptance from her abuser. This account emphasises that the most heartbreaking aspect of child abuse is that the child has an instinctive trust and love for their parent. I highly recommend this book, although be warned, by the very nature of the subject, it is disturbing.
on 25 November 2004
Through the horrowing details of the painful childhood, of going without food, and hustled from one Doctor to another....you would think that this child would have climbed in to an inner shell and never stepped back out to the light of day. Instead, what you find is inspiration. A child that realizes what is happening and takes the steps slowly to push away from the painful past and start her life anew. Amazing book.
Also recommended: Nightmares Echo by Katlyn Stewart,A Child Called It by David Pelzer
on 18 October 2005
The book I am going to highly recommend is 'sickened', an autobiography and international bestseller written by Julie Gregory. The book is based in the true events of a young girls harsh upbringing and the pain and unnecessary visits to the hospitals and clinics that her mother enforced on her.
Ever since Julie Gregory can imagine she has been examined, x-rayed and operated on for no other reason than that her mother was an obsessive child abuser with a condition scarcely known as Munchausen by proxy. M b p or Munchausen syndrome is when the sufferers feign or produces illness within themselves or some one close to them in order to gain a sense of sympathy, nurturance and the control over others.
The book is a compelling, fascinating account of what can happen to a child being misused by her mother and the trust she beheld is so degraded. Julies childhood has been that of unbelievable, the book allows you to follow through the steps of her life, from the day she was first subjected to this atrocious abuse to the very courageous moments she turned her life around.
As a reader it is hard to believe that the disgusting stories within this book are actually true and that such a small vulnerable child was subject to such pain and suffering but what baffles and angers you the most is the fact that the mother gets away with this for so long.
I strongly advise anyone who likes to read emotive books to give 'sickened' the benefit of the doubt, reading this book it will awaken your awareness of how sadly easy it is for people who have the disorder m b p to manipulate and abuse themselves and others around them. This book is a harsh yet eye-awakening account of the unbelievable ways in which such a young girl can have her childhood stole by her very own mother!!
on 9 May 2004
A brilliant but thoroughly disturbing account of a young woman's childhood of abuse and sick "love" at the hands of a narcissistic mother and a father who covertly collaborates with the systematic abuse instigated by his wife. A tale of a macabre mother child relationship where maternal instinct is grotesquely inverted.
A very hard book to read because of the relentless onslaught of terror and rage felt by the young Julie and of the craziness of the family system. There is a slight relief when Julie finally grows old enough to see her mother for who she is and subsequently save not only herself but others from her clutches.
The thing that struck me most about the book was how deftly a pathologically unstable woman managed to drag anyone she chose into her own cyclone of madness and damage them irrevocably - or have them do so to others.
The account keeps switching from the past to the present tense as Julie moves between remembering and re-living.
There are a few pointers as to what drove Julie's mother to do such a hideous thing to her own child but you probably won't feel too sorry for her.
claire_dines@hotmail.com
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2006
I love biographies and I found this one quite by accident. Its all about Julie Gregory - and is the story of her life from a young child to adulthood. Julie is an average child - but her mother is not an average mother. This is the story of the life of a child who's mother has Munchausen by Proxy - a disease there was little known about at the time of Julie's childhood. After all, who would believe that a mother would purposely harm her child?

Julie's life has consisted of x-rays, medicines, doctor's examinations and abuse at home for as long as she can remember. Is she really as sick as she has been told or could the fact that her mother refuses to be 'embarrassed' by her daughter an front of the doctor reveal more of the truth?

This book is an emotional read, but written by Julie, it tells a harrowing story of an abused child.
on 24 November 2004
From the beginning of first chapter right through to the last word I found myself enraptured with the writer's experience. The events are explained is a direct approach. I couldn't put the book down.
I recommend everyone to read this book in order to know what life is like for children whose parent has this illness.
I too had an upbringing like the author and I can assure anyone who might think some of this story unbelievable that the trauma she experienced has been similarly experienced by others.
Thankyou for making me feel I am not alone.
on 27 October 2004
What an absolutely unput downable book, Julie Gregory has suffered such abuse and been through so much, I cannot believe that any mother could be so cruel to her own child, It makes you realise how lucky you were thorough your own childhood and how much sometimes you take things for granted, this book is a credit to Julie Gregory and an inspiration
on 4 January 2005
As a mother of two children under 7, I don't really have a lot of time to read books. I saw this book in a supermarket and read the back cover many times before I actually committed to buying it. One night I just couldn't get to sleep, I thought "I'll just read a few pages to help me drift off". Nearly four hours later, I finished it. Totally harrowing what Julie's Mother put her through, starvation, invasive procedures all just so she could have her moment of glory. As a Mother myself, I cannot understand Sandy's motives for any of it but I was surprised to find that Julie's bond with her mother hasn't been totally shattered because of the abuse that she endured for years just to give Sandy her "fix" of being in the spotlight! When my children are unwell, I naturally take them to the Doctors but this trip is just a means to an end - seeing my child/children get better! The thought of putting them through any of what the Author went through just to get attention makes me feel totally "sick"! Not only has she done it to her own daughter but she has been allowed to foster children and do the same o them as well. I have the Author's website in my favourites and regularly check the updates to see what has happened. I think it is safe to say that I won't be wasting any more of my precious reading time with fiction, not when people's life stories are so unputdownable!