Customer reviews

on 11 July 2017
In my opinion, the ultimate Wodehouse. PG has pulled out all the stops here, and the scene where he borrows an umbrella to help a lady retain the shape of her hat is priceless. I love the Jeeves books, but in this one volume, we have Psmith (the p is silent as in pherring and pcomedy) and the family from Blandings, recently dramatised on TV. I was disappointed that they never thought to make this book into one of the Blandings episodes. Certainly the best of the Psmith books as well.
Go for it, and enjoy a comedy up there with Jerome K and the best of the genre.
on 6 July 2013
There is nothing to compare with a Wodehouse novel, especially those set in Blandings Castle and this one is probably the funniest of them all. I've read this book several times and still find lots to laugh at, this isn't so much a book as an investment for when you need to put a smile on your face......
on 9 February 2011
I already tried to leave a review, which has not been published - so this is my second attempt. This is a fine book that has been horribly produced for the Kindle edition. I marked up around 60 errors of transcription and formatting. Clearly this has been scanned in but not proof read. I wouldn't mind if the edition was incredibly cheap, but for £5.33 it is shockingly sloppy. Please do not buy this in its e-book form.
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2012
Once you've read a few Blandings novels they start to become quite repetitive. You can't fault PG Wodehouse's wit or homour, but there only seems to be one plot to go around all the novels I've read so far, which is a bit disappointing.
on 24 August 2014
Excellent
on 9 November 2014
good read
on 12 March 2015
Great product, well described, quickly dispatched.
on 10 September 2014
great
on 30 May 2016
For some reason this is a first time for me to read this author but just briefly looking through I can see it will be enjoyable With thanks.
on 23 April 2010
Having read many of the jeeves stories 20 years ago and watched again recently the ITV Jeeves and Wooster starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, I thought it was time to get back to Wodehouse for some good cheer. But, I wanted to start on something different, so I decided to start with the Blandings novels - this is the second in the series. As someone who struggles to get a night sleep because of pain, it was a sheer delight for me to have the tonic of reading this book peopled with its eccentric characthers and its convoluted plot where nobody is who they claim to be.

The young upper class PSmith is the most striking characther here and has some of the best lines in the book and of course, we have Lord Emsworth appearing again - this time seeming even madder - starting lunch with a poet and continuing lunch with a different person (Psmith) who he thinks is the same person resulting in confusion and impersonation down in Blandings. But the plot about the stealing of a necklace is a real howl with everyone pretending to be someonelse and Baxter Lord Emsworth's sercretary really losing it in trying to track down the thief. I read this in 2 days and enjoyed every page. Thanks Mr Wodehouse - hope you are enjoying eternity!