Customer reviews

Colour: Black|Change

on 26 March 2017
We have two of these now, one upstairs and one downstairs, this one was bought as we'd bought a newer, more expensive 2 cup, all singing, all dancing model made by the same company but the drinks tasted of chemicals. After reading a lot of reviews I found this to be a known fault that doesn't improve no matter what you do, and one the manufacturer knows about but doesn't seem willing to remedy - they said to me 'a lot of kettle manufacturers are having this problem', well the reviews say different! Anyway avoid that one, save the £85 and stick with this. It does the job, the drinks taste good and it has an adjustable water control and auto stop so you don't have to watch over it while it boils. So in that respect it does what the more expensive one does. We've had the other one 2.5 years and it's still going strong. If, like me you can't safely lift a kettle of boiling water this really is the answer and it's no more expensive than a lot of standard kettles.
on 22 February 2017
I spent a long time reviewing and weighing up every hot water dispenser on Amazon, looking for the perfect product (of course) - a dispenser that issued a one cup, but with the ability to create 6 cups quickly and with minimum hassle. Ideally I would have liked to have had choice of temperature settings, but none of the machines I reviewed ticked all the boxes, so I decided that reservoir volume and size of motor (3kw) had to take priority if I wanted to be able to make quick cups of tea when the family was home.

So, some points:

The Murphy Richards, like all dispensers it seems, releases quite a smell when you first use it - like boiled eggs. We just ran a full reservoir through it twice ( to be on the safe side) and the smell vanished and the water tasted fine. By the way, the on-off button is very retro and you really have to press it in firmly - don't expect feather-light digital sensitivity or nothing will happen and you'll think it's broken. The fullest cup measure is really very good ( we have large mugs), and the temperature is closer to 95 degrees than 100, but we like that - without milk, you have to blow on it and with milk there is no more scalding your tongue! If you truly like 100 degree water, this isn't for you. Also, as a bit of fun, we timed it from cold to first water: 45 seconds exactly. Given that we always used to overfill the kettle, this was much faster than waiting for our kettle to boil! Finally, the reservoir is fixed to the unit, so to fill it, we use a jug. We actually prefer that.

How can it be improved? The colour of the water reservoir is fashionable dark grey, which makes it hard to see where the water level is. So, you jiggle it a little and if necessary, turn the unit to get a better line of sight. Again no big deal, but definitely something MR could improve upon. Other than that, this dispenser is a tidy little work horse, makes a very satisfying clunking sound when it turns itself off (after every cup), has a very good capacity and does exactly what it says on the tin. Can't fault it, especially at the price.

We will have to see how it fares in our hard water area, so we will make sure to descale monthly.
on 18 March 2017
Initially I was not pleased with this product, insufficent water to fill my cups, not hot enough. However, I have to admit that using it has changed my position. Drinking morning cuppa in 5 minutes, previously kettle took 5 minutes to boil and brewing took another 10, Usually left the house with only half drank. Not enough water dispensed, just top it up whilst it brews. Gravy worked extremely well and I did not end up with a jug ful of gravy that I did not use.
on 20 June 2017
This dispenser is aesthetically pleasing. It is small, light and looks professional; a must for those who want the "posh feel". A friend of mine also has the Breville version of this at home and loves it.

Unfortunately, this is not for me. The reason that it is light is because the materials are thin, meaning that after pouring it through as instructed, it gets very hot to touch.
I did a couple of tester cups of tea afterwards and it turns out that the dial didn't give me different amounts of water, it just did what it felt like (I can only assume that this meant that this particular one was faulty). The good thing was that the water was boiling hot, but so was the start button and the dial. The steam rises (obviously) and as the parts are metal and right above where it pours, they are heated quite quickly. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone that drinks plenty of brews as you will burn your hands frequently.

I also got this for office purposes, so to avoid any health and safety issues, I chose not to replace it. Instead, I got a refund and the amazon staff were nothing short of helpful in ensuring this was returned and swiftly refunded. I must admit, it is one of the reasons that I purchase so much from them because of how helpful they are. Anyway, I digress...

The other issue I had was after pouring it through. To make sure it is completely empty, you have to tip it upside down, but due to the limited space for filling and emptying, you have to shake it about a bit which causes splashes and dribbles to which you can easily burn your hands if it is still hot (a silly mistake on my part). This also presents the issue if (like me) you like to ensure that your kettles etc. are descaled regularly as there is no certain way to prove that all the water with the descaler is completely gone.

I figure that this product would be a lot better if the button and dial were placed either on the side or away from where the steam will catch it (or maybe even replace with heat resistant materials) and ensuring that there is a way to empty it without having to tip it upside down.

I hope this review helps those of you that wanted to know a bit more about the product.
on 8 July 2017
Bought this for a relative as a gift for christmas. It's a simple, elegant design and I thought it would suit their kitchen very well. Thought they might like it as it is easy to use and very quick. I wasn't expecting quite how well it would go down.

For years my relative has had to use the kettle for boiling water, as 98% of the population probably does. But she spends a lot of time out of the house for work and comes back a few times each day, at which point she has a tea/coffee and some food. A kettle is a bit much when you're only making a single cup for yourself, especially considering the power draw it uses. So this little device seemed very appropriate. She now uses it all the time. Every morning, lunch and evening it is used and the kettle is left gathering dust until the rare occasion more than herself and one other are having a drink at the same time. It's lightning fast for making drinks, with a click on the top and short 20-30 second wait depending on cup size. The adjustable cup size feature is very useful, as it means that you don't go overfilling/underfilling your mug and avoids using the thing twice for a single cup.

It's quick and easy to use, looks good and has some useful features on it. There are probably some slightly cheaper rivals out there to this, but a lot of those have minor issues, like less water output than needed and no adjustable sizes. to be honest you can't go wrong with this.
on 8 July 2016
Great product - have not used my kettle since purchase (it's in the cupboard). Not too great if you need to make more than 2 cups. To stop limescale I am using a Britas water filter jug to fill, tastes better too.
===Year Update===
Still working fine never failed. Descaled now using killrock descaler. A bit of a pain if you need more than two cups as stated earlier, but apart from that I can say that I have NEVER used my kettlle since I purchased it. One of my best and favourite purchases.
on 16 July 2017
Works ok - this was slightly cheaper than the last one I had and I can see why. It's very difficult to see the water level without opening the lid and looking inside and the slider controlling the water volume is too easy to move and keeps getting nudged. I stropped it moving by jamming some blutac around it. Wouldn't buy this model again.
on 17 July 2017
I already have one of these kettles and have purchased a second one for a mobile home.
Highly recommend these one cup kettles, if the dexterity of your hands are compromised in anyway the is kettle only delivers the correct amount of boiling water for your cup or mug.
on 3 March 2017
Good water heater - only negative is that it is not easy to see how full the tank is! Maybe my eyesight is not as good as it used to be!
on 14 May 2017
gust same speed as my old one. holds lot more water witch is lot better nice design looks better in person than the picture and it gives you variable cup size mug or cup roughly used it few times very happy with this product and price is great. thank you