on 27 August 2016
The Eragon series is really a very enjoyable read. The fantasy relm and characters are believable and the plot is credible. I took a long time choosing these books after having finished the Enchantress series which I also though was a stunning set of books.
on 22 April 2012
I thought Eragon was an exciting read but when I finished reading Eldest I was just left without words.
The unfortunate thing about the books in the Inheritance cycle or any other series is that they do take a lot of influence from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But any fantasy book that has orcs, elves or gnomes will automatically be compared to Lord of the rings
In Eldest, you follow the stories of two people, Eragon Shadeslayer and rider of Saphira, and Roran Garrowsen, Eragon's cousin. Eragon goes to Ellesmera the land of the elves to train his magic and swordsmanship. Along the way there is plenty of danger, magic, fights, sarcasm, and of course, adventure. Far away, Roran must defend Carvahall from Ra'Zac and orcs.
Christopher Poalini's writing style has changed a little in comparison to Eragon. His writing has become noticeably more mature and darker, depicting scenes of evil more powerfull than before. Just when you think nothing new can happen Paolini introduces a new plot to the book, The Roran-Eragon switch, with some chapters of "Eldest" will be about Eragon's adventures and others about what is happening to Roran and his followers. We also discover two more dragon riders, and learn about what happened to Murtagh and Eragon's mother.
on 5 July 2010
Continuing from Eragon, Paolini tells the story of Eragons quest to the elves and his lessons there, whilst also following his cousin as he takes his village out of the empire for safety.
Great ending battle, yet felt a little lame until then. Christopher Paolini has used the elves as a media to portray his very strong beliefs and has ruined alot of the books message, especially for younger people. And it comes out very strongly and unopposed.
Perhaps you need to get it to keep up with the story, but besides that it isn't the best book he has written.
Story 3/5 (Eragons cousin has the best story here)
Imagination 2/5
Value for money 4/5
Overall 3/5
on 22 December 2012
I bought the first book in this series, Eragon, in a charity shop, after recognising the name from the film. I was hesitant about reading it at first, as I could tell that the time era was not modern, but after a couple of pages, I was completely captivated. After much action, adventure and accidents in the first book, the story continues on in Eldest. I have no words to express just how amazed I was at the brilliantness of this book. It was mindblowing, and I read it in about five days. My friend also started reading the series, and she was just as blown away as I was. She also knows that I got so tense at one point that I bit the book (yes, I'm that pleased with it....There are now teeth marks on the front cover). I would reccomend this book to anyone interested in fantasy and fiction, either adult or teen. Unbeatably good!
on 20 March 2015
Have bought all 4 of these books, and was surprised to learn that the first book was written when he was 15. They seem very well written, and are full of detail. Sometimes trilogy's etc are just padded out by the time you get to the last book. I am on book 3 now, and hope book 4 is just as good.
on 6 February 2016
Best Book Ever
I can't name a better book than this (that is a huge compliment I have read practically a million books)
The story is so full of adventure a wonderful fantasy tale
Ends on a huge cliff Bandar
LOVED IT😎😃😁😊😉
on 8 June 2014
While I continue to bemoan the male-centric style of these books it is impossible not to like Eragon and the others, and to watch the tale unfold with a sense of anticipation. This continues the tale from Book 1 with no loss of momentum, and leaves you, sigh, downloading the next while you write its review...
on 31 January 2018
I bought this for my grandson and has really enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next book in the series!
on 14 May 2018
Nice clean condition.
on 24 January 2013
The book arrived in perfect condition, within the estimated time. Great for completing my Eragon English books collection. And you also have a good time reading it, although I think the author should have written only three books, which he couldn't do due to his overdescriptive way of writing. But other than that, it's a good, entertaining saga.