on 13 August 2017
A well written book which provides a comprehensive insight into how the last tsar and his family were dealt with after his abdication and the political machinations behind the ultimate decision to kill the family. A very poignant story which is worth reading.
on 24 July 2017
This was really interesting and humanised the family very well. However at times it felt that the author was trying too hard to sugar coat the family and stress what a great husband and father Nicholas was, he may well have been but that doesn't change the way he behaved towards his people and what led to them being in that situation. That aside, you sympathise with the family and the descriptions of their final hour are chilling and very moving.
on 13 March 2016
Brilliant, well written, well researched, as gripping as a novel. You feel you are there with the Romanovs experiencing those last chilling days of July 1918. (Only downside, I had nightmares after reading!). I finished this book and immediately bought another by the same author. This is how history should be written.
on 30 July 2017
It was a book that went into the details of the last days ,the story's of any that were not killed ,done away with ,
on 19 February 2017
A brilliant book.
on 5 June 2017
sad
on 26 August 2017
Brilliant book. There are some information in the book that I never knew.
on 2 October 2017
I enjoyed this book. It made me feel for the family and the people who died with them. It is disgusting how russia treated them. Very good book
VINE VOICEon 9 January 2009
I have just finished your book and I can not say how much I enjoyed it. One feels strangely saying so as it is a sad story by all means.

I have lots of books on the Romanovs and I was quite hesitant to buy another one. What can be possibly new about the whole subject?

But I have to admit that this excellent book gave me a new inside and you were able to separate the political side of things, from the human dimension. There is no romantic or religious vision of the final days. It is not written with a hidden agenda of glorifying the last Imperial Family. It clearly separates the politcial story that led to the downfall of the dynasty and the the human tragedy.

Helen Rappaport did not write the story - as it is ever so often - from the end. I appreciated very much how she showed the different personalities of the Imperial family and how they coped with the new situation. The personality of Alexandra, her illnesses, the illness of the Heir and how this effected all of the family long before the fall of the dynasty. The view that the isolation of the family during their reign found a sort of continuation during the confinement, but without the demands of the rule, and were partly at least from the Czar "welcome" is indeed very convincing. Her final comments hid a nerve with me. On top, I just like Helen Rappaport's style of writing.

All in all, I enjoyed this book immensely, it is fascianting, well written and gives the reader much stuff for further thought. I can only recommend this book!
0Comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 30 June 2008
I have just finished your book and I can not say how much I enjoyed it. One feels strangely saying so as it is a sad story by any means.