Customer reviews

The Book Thief
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 2 March 2017
A beautiful book. Definitely recommend everyone to read it.
on 23 April 2017
Oh what a wonderful book. It was recommended by a friend and is amazing. Truly beautiful, read it.... Just read it.....
on 19 April 2017
The book is thought provoking and should be read by all.Worth talking about with others that have read it. Good book
on 23 June 2014
I have tried so hard to get into this book, I am an avid reader and as it was recommended to me by several people assumed that it was going to improve and I was suddenly going to be gripped. I am now over halfway through and still struggling. I found the story tedious and repetitive and sometimes when I pick it up again I am convinced I have read the same pages over and over. I can feel no empathy with the characters and have read far more powerful accounts of war time Germany. I normally read a book reasonably quickly but I have been reading this (interspersed with other books which I rarely do, but have to have a break from it) for about 5 weeks now and having read some of the other "one and two star" reviews, am now convinced it is time to give up.
on 20 October 2017
Just finished this while on a train to work and only just managing not to have to dry my eyes.

Set in wartime Germany, and seen from the eyes of a Young orphaned pre-teen Girl, the narrator (death) just let’s the reality of living in the Second World War Under Nazi rule unfold in a restrained manner with the horrors emerging bit by bit. All of the actors in the book are beautifully written even the minor ones having depth and it gives an enormous insight into humankind.

Read this book, you won’t regret it.
on 5 March 2017
Very unusual treatment of a fairly familiar story (1930s - 1940s Germany/Nazi Germany/2nd World War). First person narration by Death himself. Witty, engaging, engrossing and lyrical. Very much enjoyed and highly recommended.
on 22 March 2017
Good, easy read
on 16 July 2013
Let me tell you, this is a fantastic book. You may not get my exact reaction to it - as the poet said "I read it, I fell over, my world changed" but I really recommend it to you. I seriously started thinking it was an autobiography and for a 30 year old man to channel an aged woman, war survivor? Well, lets just say he is on my permanent reading list. I just wish his titles were all on Kindle!

This is a gentle book in a way, mostly in the first person (with a guest brief commentary from death) then you start realising that the emotional background just uppercuts you right in the central lobes. Amazing. Sad and happy, roller-coaster and contemplative. Just WOW.
on 17 October 2017
This is the most moving book I have read for a long time.Although born in England, my Mother's family came from Hamburg, and I had never realised what hell, ordinary Germans were put through.
This is not a book that can be turned into a film, words are everything here.
on 25 June 2016
Excellent read, I read the book after watching the film. Both good.