on 2 January 2018
I bought series 1-3 on DVD years ago, it was brilliant! You don't have to be a syfi fan to enjoy it. How many shows make up their own swear words to replace the ones we all use, for frack sake! The story line does get very complicated so you need to keep up. The actual programme \show gets 5 stars all day long!
The price of season 4 seemed outrageous for a long time but I finally buckled and bought it. Only to discover that they have split the final season into two MONEY MAKING dvds. So, out of principle I decided not to buy the second part of season 4.
Years and years go by and I see that BSG is now on Amazon prime video, which I subscribe to. Before I start watching the final episodes of the entire series i notice that the final two episodes are not free! The last three episodes are a three parter, Amazon are only giving you the first one as part of the prime deal so you will need to pay extra for the rest. Sounds like a dealer getting you hooked on freebies before charging the going rate.
6 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2012
I really love the entire Battlestar Galactica series'. However, compared to Season 2, or the Final Season, Season 4 is not as good. Firstly, the plot goes a wee bit crazy. Characters with serious 'wrongs' in Series 2/3, seem to forget the wrong doers and forge ahead with new alliances. Fair enough, in life that is known to happen. However, I think in 'Series 4' the role change from enemy to friend is not developed as much as I would have hoped.
Also, the way that the Series is divided between Series 4 and the 'Final Series' is a bit disappointing. The Final Series is where all the 'meat and potatoes' is, whilst Series 4 is just the sauce...if you get my meaning. All throughout Series 4, I found myself either wanting to look back to earlier series', or jump ahead to the Final Series.
However, if like me, and want to collect the entire story, than Series 4 is essential in keeping the plot together. If you are new to the show, let me stress this: You must see the mini-seriesBattlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004] first, otherwise it would not make sense.
on 3 February 2009
To be honest this is not really ' The Complete Season Four '- rather it is the first part of it. This is because some writers strike blew things off course a bit. But never the less when the screenplay team did put ink to paper they managed to pick up where Season Three left off. The writing is as superb as ever - although in outer-space there is much comment on the moral issues affecting our own time. As ever the cast impress as they have grown into their roles more & more and as a result we learn more about the lives of the main people in the Fleet prior to the Cylon attack. There are plenty of dramatic fight scenes and even some romantic tension too !

At first I felt that this new Battle-Star Galactica was too harsh , too crude and just going a bit too far by being so sombre. But it is grown on me as I have got into it more. I was very attached to the original series - but as Glen A Larson is at the helm for this one and as we do get Richard Hatch again there is something for 80's children like me to smile about. The BSG of 1978-79 did get too camp & cheesy and at least the updated series stays more true to the dark premise of a people fleeing genocidal robots.

At least when they find earth they manage to avoid making it childish and neither do they cut out most of the cast for no reason at all as happened with the failed successor show Galactica 1980.

So while this is not all it is cracked up to be ( i.e. not all of Season Four of BSG ) - buying it from Amazon is wise as you get great sci-fi drama at a nice low price. If you have not remembered what happened earlier in Season Four and are following the second part on Sky 1 as I am then purchasing part one might help you to get the gist of what is going on. On this set you get some fabulous episodes and it is a wise buy for fans of high quality contemporary television. Plus Adama , Baltar , Number Six etc are a joy to see when so excellently portrayed on the small screen. I will miss this show when it finishes - but when things go on to long it is a shame as they become less good than they should be.

I am looking forward to The Plan and Caprica already !
on 6 October 2008
I wish everyone would give it a rest, we all know that only half of series 4 has been on TV, and no sane and reasonable person would expect that somehow, the very last episodes of this series, which were held up because of the writers' strike in America and have not been shown on TV anywhere, would somehow (as if by magic) be on this DVD release. Get real!

I absolutely fail to see why Amazon, who did not commission, fund, or release these DVDs, can possibly be deserving of the ill will found on these reviews. This product has become available. Amazon, like many other shops, both online and on the high street, are selling it. (At a discounted price too.) What's wrong with that? Absolutely nothing. Nothing at all.

If anyone doesn't want to buy the DVDs of the programmes that have already been shown now, and prefer to wait for the rest of the series to arrive on TV, and later on DVD, that's fair enough. To criticise Amazon here though is quite juvenile, and to complain that programmes which have never been seen on TV anywhere are not on this DVD set is just silly.

People putting in one star reviews for either of those reasons can be safetly ignored, because they say nothing at all about the quality of the product itself. And THAT is what anyone reading a review of the product is interested in.

On that note then: This is a great programme, one of the greatest ever made, and at under £2.50 per episode, this is a must buy.
on 2 January 2018
One of the greatest sci fi series of all time. I watched all of Battlestar Galactic from the mini series through to end of season 4 over Christmas, seeing additional nuances and ethical dilemmas faced by the characters since last watching it six years ago.
on 2 January 2018
Poor form from Amazon, love this series only to find that you have to pay for the final 2 episodes..

What's all that about.?

Hope you don't use the free books as you'll only get half.

Bad form amazon, bad form.
on 28 February 2012
It was a good thing I read the reviews on season 4 and the final season and so understood that season 4 is in fact only half a season. Having said that I am now bereft at having watched the last episode last night. I won't spoil it but I shed a tear or two!! I became completely addicted with BSG as I did with the Wire - why? because the acting was so good it completely took me in. This is escapism at its best. I don't go looking for holes in the plot (it has to be glaringly obvious for me to notice). Gaius Balter was brilliant - and it took a while for me to remember he was in Bridget Jones's diary!! Also Starbuck was amazing so good - she could take on the men but was appealing and vulnerable too - all the characters were so well drawn.
on 29 May 2009
This edition to the Battlestar Galactic saga came just before the US writer's strike which lead to many of my favourite TV series being cancelled. The strike affected BG, in as much, that this DVD set contains roughly half of the normal series of only 10 episodes. In addition, the feature length 'Razor' is also included on the first disc.

Series Four sees a lot of new developments and twists to the story, with familiar characters seeing their lives change as four of the final five, revealed at the end of Series Three, try to come to terms with their new identities. The struggle continues to get to Earth with what should have been a mid-series cliff-hanger at the end of episode 10, except that this is now considered a complete series, with the final episodes being sold as a separate DVD collection.

I enjoyed the series and as a fan had bought 'Razor' when it was first sold, so for me it is not really an additional feature in this box set. Other reviewers have suggested waiting for a complete series box set but, alias this may not come other than in the current offerings.

As a fan, however, I highly recommend the whole four (I mean, five) series and look forward to seeing the spin off 'Caprica' when it is aired.
on 9 October 2008
I LOVE this show, so ,as long as the final episodes are priced similarly to this, I'm glad to have some more now, rather than have to wait until next year. And the better news is that this series resolves the doubts I, and seemingly a lot of viewers, had after season 3 - that the writers had lost the plot. There were some definite fillers in the middle of series 3, and the momentum seemed to have been lost until the end, and, what with the writer's strike, I wondered if this was just going to fizzle out into mediocrity and remain a great might-have-been. But this series restored my confidence that the writers can pull it together, and pull it off. It's back to the edge-of-the-seat cliffhangers of the first 2 seasons, lots of out-of-the-blue shocks, threads coming together, and a tantalising ending. I don't want to give anything away, so all I'll say is - if you love this show, this series is what you love!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 24 November 2008
It should be noted that this set also includes "Razor", so you may end up with that twice, like I did.

This series was one of those hit badly by the Hollywood writer's strike, and it shows - one of the results being that only half of the final Season 4 was made. One (this one anyway) gets the impression of rather a lot of filler (or much desert between the oases). However, the basic good story (and the irony that the human-like Cylons are becoming more and more like their ultimate creators) continues, and continues to intrigue, and one wonders, "NOW what happens?" I shall spoil nothing about the last episode, except to say that, a long time ago, I predicted that this was going to be the case. So, as I said, "NOW what happens?" I look forward to finding out.