on 5 March 2013
I found the book very informative and interesting. I have been to Dubai many times so it was nice to know the full history.
However, I found the gaps between words rather annoying. It is on most pages. I expect this is due to the justification. It did not spoil the enjoyment of the book.
on 17 February 2014
Having visited Dubai twice recently, I was keen to learn more about just how this incredible place came to be. Jim Krane's book provides all the answers. Vividly told and relying on accounts from people who know the city inside out, the book is gripping and, at times, quite the page turner. It's snappy and fast, just like the place it describes. And it doesn't shy away from telling the story of the shadier side of Dubai, which it's important to know about to understand the place fully. The book also provides excellent insight into the Ruler of Dubai and his family.
on 15 May 2014
As I will be visiting Dubai for the first time in October I wanted to read this book in order to know more about the place I am going to visit. I found it fascinating and it has really put me in the mood for my trip. My only issue with the book is that the font size is so ridiculously small that I ended up buying the kindle edition to read instead and I passed the paper copy onto someone else. Even with glasses on it was not a comfortable read.
on 15 October 2014
I have always been fascinated by Dubai and I wanted to know more, so I took the chance with this book. It was great and it is very well researched. It starts at the very beginning when Dubai was nothing more that a desert which was supported by pearl diving and goes right the way through to the present day (2010). I will get to Dubai one day and have a look for myself but until then I have this book to keep me going
on 29 June 2011
Mr Krane's story of Dubai's meteoric rise is a good read, with some interesting historical insights. People who know Dubai will notice some odd gaps - for instance, how did Brigadier Michael Barclay get missed out completely?

This feels like a good piece of research by a writer who isn't actually all that familiar with his subject. It also desecnds into rather breathless admiration at times...
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2015
Having visited Dubai twice recently I can see the scene setting author describes very clearly. There is no place like Dubai.
on 22 January 2014
If you have or have not been to Dubai this book gives you an amazing insight into how it has become the city it is today.
on 16 February 2010
A well written and concise explanation of the 'past and present' on this incredible CITY.
on 11 July 2011
Krane really gets to grips with the highs and lows that Dubai has faced to make it one of the World's most fastest growing cities. He explores how the city has developed from a small mud hut village to a large metropoliton area with great detail. He gives a good historical account of the Sheikhs that have run Dubai and how there views and ideas have helped to shape Dubai differently from other middle eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia. Leaving no stone unturned the book is full of interesting facts and narratives which show why the city has developed so rapidly. Krane also examines the problems that Dubai has faced and the challenges that lay ahead for a country stuck between eastern and western ideas.
on 5 April 2010
a good book, easy reading and full of facts. less controversial than christopher davidson's book on the same subject; perhaps the reason why this book is more readily available in dubai. definately worth a read for uae residents, also for others who want to know what dubai is all about