Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 14 November 2011
I didn't know that Frances Hodgson Burnett had been such a prolific writer; in fact, I did not know that she had written fiction for adult readers, as well as children's books. Until I came across this collection, for my Kindle, I was only aware of her three very famous children's classic novels - Little Lord Fauntleroy, The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. It is great to have all these wonderful pieces of writing together in one collection.

As a collection, these stories all share Frances Hodgson Burnett's excellent story-telling and descriptive abilities. As in the three famous classics, her books make the reader feel that they are "really there" and that the characters are real and entirely human. Her stories are lively and often quite exciting, humourous or emotive. I have, several times, found myself laughing or crying along with the characters, as the stories pulled me in and made me feel they were very real. There is also a strong sense of the mystic or mysterious, flowing through almost every story. The writer was clearly quite fascinated by the unexplained, supernatural or mystic - just as Mary feels there is a magic at work in the Secret Garden, other characters also talk about magic, hear each other calling across the world, or meet one another in their dreams. Yet, it is entirely believable and not at all silly or melodramatic.

I always thought that Frances Hodgson Burnett was a skilled and clever childrens' author; I now realise that her work goes far beyond this and her command of language and descriptive writing is nothing short of masterful.
A great collection of work, which I have been reading with real enjoyment. It's quite rare that I pick up a book and find I can't bear to put it down until I've finished the chapter, but this has happened over and over again with the stories in this volume.
on 30 April 2012
Honestly, Frances Hodgson Burnett is a fantastic author. We all know and love classics like Secret Garden and The Little Princess but she also wrote The Lost Prince which is fantastic. I was delighted to see this compilation of all her work. What a shame that the kindle version doesn't seem to have an index so it's going to be awful to navigate.
on 25 July 2015
Frances Hodgson Burnett takes her readers into the world of her characters with such skill that you are also immersed in their world. The Secret Garden was my favourite book as a child and to discover more of her work has been a pleasure. For those who have never discovered these classic stories before, remember classics only become classics because they were and still are great stories!
on 2 November 2015
Wonderful stories from an underrated author from the 19th century. My favourite is The Making of a Marchioness. Some of the stories are melodramatic but many books and stories from that era were serialised.
on 9 July 2015
This is well worth getting if you like Victorian children's books. It also includes several adult books which I hadn't! meats about before
on 18 August 2016
Love these books, really enjoyed them
on 15 February 2014
Really enjoying re-visiting and re-reading her books - brings back so many good memories and such a good read especially when you are feeling down and want to escape for a while
on 29 January 2013
It's grand to have all the books; many of them are not easily found even in second hand shops. She may be an acquired taste, but even the less important novels are interesting.
on 23 June 2015
'The Shuttle' is now a firm favourite - what a great read - and was nice to revisit the books written for children also. 'The White People' is a lovely ethereal short story.
on 1 December 2014
I'd read Little Princess & Secret Garden as a child and enjoyed them but the others are a disappointment.