on 30 October 2017
Great Device
I bought this device a few years ago for geocaching. Previously i had use the app on my phone which i found to be less accurate. The device allows you to set up different profiles. In my case i had one for hiking, geocaching and cycling.
The battery life depends on the amount of use. I have mine set on battery saving where the backlight timeout is 15 secs. This improves the battery life dramatically especially if you turn the backlight down to minimum. This is a disadvantage if you are thinking of using this for cycle navigation as you have wake the screen up every so often. I now use a Garmin Edge for cycling and my oregon for walking.
I use Garmin OS Maps on mine which are incredibly useful. I recently used this device to plot my route during my 150 mile 7 day hike. I did not use the device too much for navigation, only in times of uncertainty. With the battery saving settings, walking 8 hours a day, i managed to make the GPS last 2 days on one set of batteries.
I would highly recommend this device. It is ideal for hiking and geocaching, not so much for cycling. Perfect alongside Garmin basecamp computer software. Easy to use, rugged, waterproof and great value for money. The only improvement would be to extend battery life
on 2 June 2013
I’m not a particularly adventurous walker, about 10 miles on footpaths is the norm but thought a GPS might add to the interest. The spec of the 450 was probably much more than I require (what’s geocaching?) but it gave some in reserve for future possible projects. Have had it about four months now and all in all I’m pretty glad I have a GPS it’s quite fun and adds a new dimension to my pretty bog standard hikes but I’ve had a few issues with this model which took the shine off it a bit.Ingnored the bad reviews about the screen visability.Garmin are a market leader and wouldn’t put out something not fit for purpose would they?. On a bright day it was all but impossible to see the track display having to create a shadow with a map or hat. I contacted Garmin (was there an elephant in the room) who suggested I turned up the brightness! I could also try turning off the shaded relief they said, which helped a little. A search on Google came up with a download of a white background that made it acceptable. When downloading a track a couple of times I’ve had two track 1s’ of which one couldn’t be deleted.Garmin weren’t able to help but having downloaded “EasyGPS” I was able to clear it on my computer (Garmin rep was thankful for the tip).I bought a North of England SD card (£74 from Garmin) which from day one never sat quite right in the base which meant the SD card locking clip didn’t work properly with the result that great care was needed when inserting the batteries or the card became dislodged(I know I should have returned the 450 at this point but saw it as a nuisance rather than a problem)This was fine in a home environment but out in bad weather one day the inevitable happened, the card moved and broke when I closed the battery cover. I contacted Amazon about the problem and a replacement 450 arrived almost before the email advising me of how to return the faulty one. Have to say that taking the old 450 to my local BP garage for return (300 yards and plenty of parking) was brilliant. Threw myself at the mercy of Garmin re the broken SD card but they weren’t having any of it so it’s another £74 I suppose (from Amazon this time). As I said I glad I’ve got the GPS, even for a not so serious walker it’s a great help though if I need another one in the future I will probably do a bit more research to see what’s on offer. Creating and downloading new walks is good fun using Mapyx Quo which is very easy to use and their support is brilliant. Incidentally the new 450 unit display is much better so don’t know if my old one was faulty or Garmin have upped the anti! and the card lock is fine.
on 2 June 2013
Bought this unit in advance of a holiday in Europe and I wanted a unit that I felt I could trust. I have it now and having used it abroad I am absolutely thrilled with it. I purchased the Garmin City Navigator SD card also for the unit and was stunned at the whole package.
It did everything I asked it to do and didn't lead me astray. The screen was bright enough to be read in strong sunlight, it located the relevant satellites very quickly when powered up, the battery life was excellent.
Overall couldn't have asked for more, it was perfect for my requirements.
Five stars all the way.
on 14 July 2014
Purchased this Oregon 450 as a replacement/addition to my Oregon 300 which I have so enjoyed using [and am still reluctant to leave at home totally!]. I tried a Garmin 62 as several friends have them and are pleased with them, but took time to get used to a toggle switch and then it stopped working [must have known I wasnt happy with it!], Garmin agreed that it was faulty so I had my money back. This was obviously meant to mean that I should have this 450 instead = wonderful!
on 7 August 2013
So far so good. Used mainly as Geocaching unit - as a primary navigational tool it is pretty good; routes, tracks, waypoints, storage, accuracy all in abundance. Main criticism would be how user un-friendly the cache listings are - but having said that, I usually have listings available to view offline on my smartphone to hand anyway. Can also be a triffle monotonous having to toggle between compass / map view via the main menu. Haven't had a play with either the chirp or wherigo apps yet so unable to comment there. I would have liked to have seen a link into the Garmin Connect site - I will shortly be investing in a Garmin Forerunner to provide me with more accurate trip computer information; I've found the track record tool records distance more accurately than the trip computer does.
All in all, very pleased. As a reliable, durable, aesthetically pleasing hand held GPS it ticks all the boxes, but too many little niggles to warrant five stars.
on 8 February 2014
I do a lot of mountain hiking in Austria, and this is an excellent GPS. It seems to be very accurate with masses of data availability, and the option of choosing what to prioritize for the main viewing screen. I am somewhat disappointed in the method required to pull up the altitude tracking data - total altitude difference during the course of an extended hike etc.I have not tried downloading maps till now, but the co-ordinates are exceedingly precise for the event of needing to pass them on to a search and rescue team
on 14 June 2012
I like this product now I know how to use it. As with a lot of items now there is no instruction manual and you are expected to make your own way by using the website.
A friend with a similar product has shown me the basics and now I find it easy to use although without that help it would probably be collecting dust on a shelf or have been offloaded on ebay
on 21 February 2013
We bought the dedicated GPS for Geocaching and having read some online reviews we bought the Oregon 450. Once a copy of open maps was installed we found it equally easy to load up some caches. Like all technology it pays to read the instructions, which we didn't, so we found out how to use it as we went which was easy enough. All in all we are very happy with our purchase.
on 7 October 2014
Great device and very easy to use...Navigation made easy!
on 7 December 2016