on 8 April 2015
Having just re-watched Homicide through adult eyes I would highly recommend this show to anyone searching for an intelligent detective drama that never resorts to pointless shoot-outs and the usual cliches. Homicide takes it's inspiration from the same David Simon book as The Wire and the glimpses of genius are evident throughout the entire show. On a critical note it's consistency suffers slightly from many cast changes but with some patience every new detective shines. Look out for the excellent Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad's Gus) in the later days of the show. I would also recommend tracking down the TV movie after watching the boxset as it gives a fond farewell to all the major characters (even those that died) in a poignant manner. A truly brilliant show that deserved it's long life-span!
on 6 February 2014
"Homice" is often shadowed by its more recent and more successful "The Wire". But it's got the same intensity, it's the same punch in the face with each story. Some episodes are simply legendary : one is entirely made of a single suspect interrogatory... that turns out to be unsuccessful. Tension is omnipresent, the actors are unbelievably good (you'll recognize a lot of them, even the secondary roles are great), and as in "The Wire" you get this great humorous moments due to a great chemistry on the set. Hats off to the writers, they did an amazing job during the 7 seasons. Once a character didn't work anymore it was left off, new great characters kept coming in, the mastermind criminals are amazing too. It's different to The Wire though : it doesn't show the criminals' point of view, but I don't mind really. The only mistake they made in the whole series was keeping Melissa Leo for so long. Once she made sergeant, she became pretentious, annoying, and the actress couldn't play her right.

Finally we get the right producing order for the episodes too, shame on NBC for putting them on air in the wrong order in the first place. It's a shame we don't get more bonus or "Homicide: The Movie" but for that price it's a must-have.
on 19 March 2011
After watching a whole bunch of British detectives (and alike) like Waking the Dead, Spooks, Silent Witness, Trial and Retribution, and so on, It was kind of a 'gamble' to switch to an 'old fashioned American cop show' again but boy, dit I NOT regret it! I bought The Wire before Homicide and had the good fortune to watch Homicide first. The only thing I don't like is that I got sofar as season 5 (or 6, when you read the episode listing in other comments) and am not looking forward to the withdrawel phase after finishing this excellent and gripping series. On the other hand, I am kind of looking forward to start watching The Wire now, especially because I already watched The Corner a couple of months ago. What else can I say? BUY BUY BUY, you'll love it but watch The Corner too, it will give you an inside in what's really going on at the corners of Baltimore. The Corner (HBO Mini Series) [DVD] [2000]
on 11 March 2014
I enjoyed most of this series when it was first shown on TV but this was many years ago. Great acting and characterization, with some very good writing thrown in too. A very good balance between entertainment and grittiness. I enjoyed the Wire but like this series even more, it makes for a more relaxing viewing, apart from the camera work which some might find irritating (but you get used to it). Less violence and swearing than the Wire if that important to you. Great show and a lot of viewing for your money - it's taken us nearly a year to watch this, whilst also viewing box sets of Dexter and Six Foot Under.
on 27 March 2017
Homicide-Life on the street is set on the streets of Baltimore, and the city`s homicide squad. I watched this series on television a while ago. This is as good series as the Wire. Excellent.
on 31 August 2017
Still working my way through these, but if you enjoy police drama, I think you'll enjoy this. I'm a big fan of law and order, and I love it.
on 8 April 2010
Great price for the complete collection of this series. I remember watching it back in the day on channel 4. A very groundbreaking series and great to see all of the seasons available over here.

If your a fan of The Wire you will love this as its based on the book written by David Simon (The Wire).

There are some amazing characters in it, like Bayliss, Munch and Pembleton. Some amazing lines in the series.

One thing though - its a shame as noted by the other reviewer that it doesn't have the features which the American version of the box-set does, like the movie and the cross-over episodes.

Other than this its a good buy, but might be worth checking out the America box set though first if you want any extras as this has no extras at all.
on 29 June 2017
Golden Old very Good
on 9 January 2014
Only one season to go and I have really enjoyed it. Other reviews talked about it as the precursor to many of the letter American cop shows and that is a fair assessment. Some great characters and story lines. Obviously a bit dated but I always quite like that as you can out the stories into proper perspective.
Definitely recommend it. Sits very well alongside The Wire, Sopranos and The Shield.
on 27 January 2015
Arrived fast and I couldn't wait to watch it, as this was one of my favourite shows. Took me back in time watching it again. A great show and a great box set.