on 21 September 2014
Have just bought my second pair. The most comfortable boots I've worn. Much lighter and more comfortable than my previous boots by Regatta, Hi Tec, Brasher and Zamberlan. My first pair of Berghaus Explorers managed The West Highland Way, a week of fell walking in The Lakes and almost a year of countryside dog walks before starting to split after more than a thousand miles. That's about the same as I got from the more expensive Brasher Hillmasters - and these are so much more comfortable! Some have said that grip isn't good in certain conditions but in my experience it's no better or worse than the other boots I've mentioned. I've awarded four stars only because I'd have liked them to last a little longer.
on 30 October 2014
Purchased for recent to trip to Scotland and straight out of the box these boots were excellent. Extremely comfortable and hard wearing. The boots have an excellent sole with very good grip on various surfaces boggy group, muddy tracks as well as rocks. No sign of water ingress through streams and puddles (using gaiters) all in all I can highly recommend theses boots as great value for the casual walker or day trekker.
on 31 October 2016
Very comfortable.
on 25 June 2012
I do abuse my walking shoes when out walking mostly on rough ground. Had these a few months and so far lasting ok. No problems when used first and are extremely light and comfortable.
on 16 March 2015
Fifth pair I've owned great pair of boots for all weather and situations
on 31 August 2014
Whilst the right boot is a little tight, I will expand boot,
altogether these are a good pair of boots
on 29 October 2014
Still not comfortable after 6 months use.
on 16 August 2010
I bought these boots less than a year ago, for general walking, with the occasional hill. As a warden on a nature reserve, the need for good quality, waterproof boots is pretty high.
At first, these boots were excellent. Extremely comfortable and waterproof, right out of the box.

However, after a few months I noticed that the soles were wearing thin... seriously. There's so little tread left, you wouldn't believe. The soles definitely do not have the wear that you'd have from a Vibram sole.

Also, the leather on my boots has now split, where the boots flex, rending them useless.

I would have expected more from a name like Berghaus. For the prices you pay, you'd expect your boots to last for more than 10 months.
1414 Comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2011
These are my second pair of these boots; delivery was very prompt.
As always happens with modern leather, the old ones have cracked at the bending point and now started to separate from the sole at the same point (due I believe to the use of aggressive tanning techniques to save money in the tanneries). Also, they soon show themselves not to be really waterproof in wet grass, but no worse than any other brand in this respect. They have given me about two years of use 5 or 6 days a week and the treads are wearing out now.
Having said all this, these boots are supremely comfortable, and at internet prices are a good buy for the use I get out of them. With the possible exception of a long-discontinued Salomon boot, these are definitely the least bad of the modern crop of cheaply made boots that I have tried over the years. Hence the repeat buy.
on 8 September 2017
I've had a couple of pairs of these over the last few years, they are a very comfortable boot its not long be fore they lose there waterproofing & the soles detach from the uppers, not to upset as I picked both pairs up for around £65.00 but would not be happy to pay £125.00 that Berghaus price them at!