Customer reviews

on 15 April 2014
This is my second pair of Berghaus Explorer Ridge boots, identical to the first pair I bought five or six years ago. Anyone who has bought boots will be aware that you don't know how they'll be until you've walked a few miles. As the new boots are identical to my old boots I'm not expecting any problems.

As for the old boots, they were comfortable from day one, and will still be used in dry weather. Cracks have occurred in the leather near to the sole which I believe allows water to penetrate in extreme wet conditions, that is to say walking in heavy rain for six to eight hours through wet grass and heather.

Otherwise the boots have been great. Very comfortable providing reasonable grip in most conditions, the exception being sheet ice. The boots have never caused blisters, unlike my previous pair of Meindl boots.

Would I buy another pair. Provided Berghaus still make this specific boot, I see no reason why I wouldn't.
on 18 May 2013
These are a fantastically comfortable, water-resistant, and reasonably well-breathing shoe. What's the problem? Well I've worn them for 2 week and the soles are already wearing through, after a couple of weeks city-walking and 3 hikes of less than 2 hours each. I'm afraid they won't last more than 6 months. Disappointing.
on 8 April 2013
I am by no means a regular hiker. I signed up to do a 30km charity walk across Dartmoor and needed a good boot that wasn't too pricey - due to the limited after use. I was guided by other reviews of this boot and went a half size up.

These boots were fantastic! I did a bit of training with them prior to the walk and they were perfect straight from the box and didn't need any breaking in.

I bought some quality Bridgedale socks and base liners (recommended by a local walking shop - top advice btw) and hardly had any discomfort during the walk. My feet, which are not particularly accustomed to this type of activity, stayed cool, dry and blister free the entire time whilst many of those around me had to tape up their feet at the checkpoints!

These boots were well worth the money and as I have now signed up for Dartmoor again, along with the 3 peaks challenge they will be coming with me again.
on 25 May 2011
Second pair of these boots I have had. I was impressed with the first so reordered when they needed replacment. Walked the coast to coast with no blisters in these boots. This second pair are just as good. Walk through river waterproof, comfortable road walking and good sole grip and ankle support hill walking. A great value allrounder. Will have a third pair when the time comes.
on 4 September 2012
I bought these back in January 2012, and have used them enough now to feel able to review them......worn once or twice a week over perhaps 600 miles, wet and dry. They have been very comfortable from the outset, and generally keep me dry, though in very wet conditions my feet eventually get soaked, mainly, I think, through water getting in through the lacing or down my legs, if no gaiters worn. I waterproof them regularly with Nikwax, and apply liberal boot polish every time they are worn. The leather is cracking a little on the outside crease where the foot bends, but no problems as far as I am concerned, and otherwise is as good as new. I particularly like the lace up system - much better than previous boots, and it keeps the outer lace cover from fraying and separating. I reckon they will last a few years at my present target rate of 700-800 miles a year, and I would recommend them to others.
on 30 November 2013
i have found these boots have no grip in the rain or wet stuff i have slipped over in these boots
on 16 August 2013
I spent a lot of time in my local camping shop choosing these boots before I started my degree. As soon as I put them on, they felt like 'my boots'. They're as comfy as slippers, and I've given them a fair beating. I've taken them on fieldtrips for 3 years around the UK, to Spain, and most recently on a 40 day trip to Cyprus. After walking up and down mountains for 8 hours a day for 6 weeks, I feel it's about time to renew them, and I've just bought a new pair from Amazon. However, the tread is nowhere near as worn as I was expecting it to be, and I'm now using them as my 'casual' boots to walk to uni and back. I'm expecting to get a lot more wear out of them yet.
I personally love them, but I would never recommend buying this sort of footwear online before trying it on in person, as what fits one persons foot perfectly may be the opposite for another person.
on 28 April 2013
They arrived and I went up and down Scafell with no problems and then, crucially (inadvertently) had to do some scrambling / climbing; to help some people out. These boots certainly responded and Im so glad I had them on... possibly as if my life could have depended on them! I say this half jokingly, but the grip was there and it got a little hair raising at times.
Ive used Hi-Tec before and couldn't have faulted them, the old boots were just getting worn out - I needed a change.
The change to these berghaus ones meant today my knees and legs didn't feel any pain and my feet don't ache, clearly due to the better quality boot. The grip is what you would expect on good boots - in fact they proved to be excellent. The waterproofing and the comfort was simply fabulous.
I will look after them and hopefully they will continue to look after me!
on 13 September 2014
These boots are very comfortable straight off, however the tread compound needs to be replaced. You cannot wear these boots in wet or even just damp conditions for fear of slipping on the wrong surface. If you can avoid rocks, stones, and even tarmac you will probably be fine.
on 26 September 2013
I used and abused the old version of this boot for ten years and was highly impressed. Even after that time, and many miles, from plus 50 degrees heat down to minus 45 degrees the boot was still useable apart from its destroyed look, smelly and worn innards.

I spent much time trying on various replacements but none gave me the confidence of the explorer product.

This version appears to be even better.
It was comfortable from the box and I wore it hiking straight away with no issues. The material is tough and yet soft and the seams appear even more "heavy duty" than on my ten year old ones which remained waterproof to the end.
The boot feels slightly wider at the sole and more planted on each step although running would not be as easy.

Overall I am very happy with this product.