on 21 June 2013
This cable was bought after an recent upgrade of my current system, I previously had some very cheap generic cable hooked up to a pair of Wharfedale 9.1 speakers. I have now upgraded this to a pair of Dali zensor 1 and this cable. I tried this cable on my Wharfedales before buying the Dalis and I was impressed with how much the sound improved over the generic cable. The bass response was immediately better and the top end was slightly improved as well. However after hearing a pair of Dalis at my local electronics store I simply had to have the Dalis. After I got the Dalis home I set them straight away with this cable and they sounded a little harsh on the top end and the bass was not there, however these were brand new out of the box and not even run in. I have now nearly fully run my speakers and cable in and I am simply amazed on how much of an improvement that has been achieved, they sound even better now than they did in the test room.
The bass response is now more controlled and a lot deeper than originally, the vocals and high ends now sparkle rather than sounding harsh. However I thought this change was just from the speakers running in, so I did a test and swapped back to the cheaper generic cable and the difference in sound was very noticeable, the cheap cable sounded rough in comparison.

The cable itself is really well made, really heavy and feels like it will last along time. A recently have paired this cable to a set of Sewell Pro Maestro Banana Plugs and this addition will help reduce oxidation of the cable which in turn will increase the cables life. The cable has a talc solution under the blue outer covering, I believe this is some sort of lubrication to prevent the wire from splitting or fraying when installing it.

Overall the cable itself if a big investment but if you want to get the best from your speakers than a cable upgrade is one of the ways that you are going to achieve that. I have not tried any other expensive cable so I cant compare it to any but I a really happy with this product and I am going to keep it as long as it lasts.
23 people found this helpful
on 21 November 2013
Really nice, high-quality cable at a fraction of the price that I've seen this type of cable for sale for elsewhere. The cable itself is high-quality, the sleeve is thick and seems to do a very good job of shielding out interference.

I had originally only bought this for my home hi-fi but have since used it in two professional installations.
15 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 10 January 2017
At the time of writing this review ive just gotten the cable and WOW it's so thick and well insulated i can't imagine that any speaker cable no matter the cost could perform better im very happy and im just hoping the four mm banana plugs i have are big enough for the cable.

The photo is of the van damme speaker cable next to a standard 2.5mm cable that i had been using.
review image
3 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2014
I have purchased Van Damme cable before and am always impressed with it in whatever form. This 16 AWG cable is no exception - Well made with a rugged rubberised outer casing that is designed to be handled, moved, etc and it is very twist resistant too. The copper core strands are easy to work with and are generally very hard wearing but yet flexible. I have done the usual thing before - read all the HiFi magasine reviews of the current, trendy 'flavour of the month cabling' and then spent ages searching for the least inflated price i can find per meter.....only to be slightly underwhelmed when i actually get hold of it. The van Damme cable always sounds as good (If not better) as most other high end cables i have heard. It also looks great too with its blue coloured casing and white stencilling along its length. If you want a realistcaly priced, purposeful, long term, great sounding cable then i strongly recommend the Van Damme range as the supplier of choice.
6 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2014
I know that there are two distinctly different schools of thought when it comes to speaker cable. Those who say that it makes little or no difference and those who say there is an audible improvement when using thicker, more expensive cable. I'm ready for the unbelievers to tell me that it's all in the mind but I like what I'm hearing from this cable!

Just to set the scene, I have been using QED speaker cable up till now. I have an Onkyo TX NR616 surround sound amp with Mordaunt-Short speakers in front and centre. The rears are made by Tannoy.

I wasn't unhappy with the sound but was intrigued by the notion that there could be improvements to be had by upgrading the cables.

Whilst this isn't exactly bargain basement stuff, it was within the range that I was willing to pay to experiment and so I bought just enough for the two front speakers. It was delivered very quickly - before the estimated date - and felt reassuringly heavy!

My first impressions on opening the pack were regarding the overall diameter of the cable, it's hefty to say the least. With so much insulation you have to be careful when stripping it back. I took it slowly and was impressed at the overall construction of the cable.

On connecting it up I started listening to some of my favourite tracks to see whether there was a discernible improvement to the sound and I have to say that I believe there is.

Is it measurable? No.
Does it jump out at you? No.
I felt that there was a greater openness to the sound, the soundstage was wider, the overall impression of depth and quality seemed to have improved.

Could it all be in the mind? Yes, quite possibly!

There could be many explanations, such as; I heard a difference because I expected to, I heard a difference because I was paying more attention than I normally would, I heard a difference because I turned it up slightly louder than I usually do. All I know is that I felt highly satisfied with my purchase with no regrets whatsoever - and that doesn't always happen!

There is something very satisfying in seeing that thick cable connected to the back of the speakers, maybe I've been taken in by the hype, maybe not. I don't know whether there are measurements that can reveal warmth, definition, openness of sound but to my ears it was a worthwhile investment. So much so that I've just ordered another short run of the stuff for the centre speaker!
2 people found this helpful
on 27 February 2013
as previous reviews mention this is a bigger cable than you might think but it is extremely flexible so will go round tight corners, the sound quality is excellent, it is a big improvement on my original wire, delivery time what can i say i received it before the due date cannot fault the service in any way even down to them using Velcro cable ties to keep the cable together they've been put to further good use now
14 people found this helpful
on 16 October 2013
There's not really much to say about this cable, I don't like it, I absolutely love it. Unfortunately I can only give it four stars. That's because it has bigger brothers. My Mission 760i's and MX3's sound so detailed and crisp, like an aural Cox's apple. They weren't dead before, but my God they've never breathed so deeply. Before spending a small fortune, try this. It certainly draws a line in the sand.
13 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2012
If you want quality sound from your hi-fi you need quality speaker cables. These cables are just the job.
Quality at the right price. Order more than you think you need. It'll give the flexibility to place your speakers where you want and avoid wasting hours trying to stretch cable around corners you didn't allow for.
17 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2018
I took a “gamble” on this cable as I already had what I believed to be very good cable. It Arrived next day after purchase which is always pleasing.
I ordered a 5m length of the 2x2.5mm for use with my Dali Zensor 1 speakers hooking up to the Denon DM-41.
The cable comes in one length so I cut it in half then you cut in to expose the two internal wires which I then cut and strip to expose the copper wire. I then attached my banana plugs and hooked it all up! Took about 10 mins. I recommend some cable cutters to do a nice clean job!!
Hooking it up I immediately noticed a marked audio improvement across the range on the dearer Cambridge Audio cable I was using. I’m Very happy with my purchase. Definitely will be buying more in future for my home cinema set up.
Ridiculous value for money.
on 23 July 2014
From my review on the longer length...

I already bought a longer stretch of this and I've copied that review below as it's still relevant for this purchase. Also, I can add that the amount I received was a generous metre. It wasn't just a metre with a fraction over so thank you to the suppliers for that!

I've just given my centre speaker a work out with the new cable by playing a few old favourite SACDs and they all sounded superb. Elton John's Captain Fantastic, Steely Dan's Gaucho, Pink Floyd's Dark Side all had new life breathed into them (IMHO).

So, here's what I wrote regarding the longer version of this cable...

Is it measurable? No.
Does it jump out at you? No.

Could it all be in the mind? Yes, quite possibly!