Customer reviews

on 18 October 2014
Good quality for an album I was struggling to find.
on 18 December 2008
There weren't many artists shunning electronic instruments in 1986. This brilliant debut married infectious songwriting to timeless analogue production and originality worthy of Kevin Coyne, early Bowie or Syd Barrett. Sadly the world at the time cared only for Phil Collins, Tina Turner, Simply Red and Sting, with MS&D relegated to student fare. Mind you, the group didn't exactly help the cause with the obscure title, stylised & out of focus front cover and wilfully eclectic song choice. In my view, the follow-up, Gladsome Humour and Blue flows far better as an album. But with superb tracks like Crocodile Cryer, Little Red Bottle, Rain and Running Water, this is a joyous and timeless collection of great songs.

For no particularly obvious reason, this reissue also contains a 'best of the Kitchenware albums' second disc - maybe for those returning 1986 fans who never bothered to make a follow-on purchase all those years ago? It's more of a sampler than a best of really, and Kitchenware are still clearly convinced that their desperate, cod-sophisticated remaster of Wholly Humble Heart improves on the perfection of the original.

Anyway, lie back, absorb and imagine a world where genius like this gets recognised and Bryan Adams, Sting, Phil Collins et al are reduced to playing private parties for cash on the side. And this is the perfect soundtrack album for any wishful daydreams.
on 18 August 2006
This album was and still is one of my favourites from 1986.
I originally bought it on vinyl having seen the Daintees live on many occasions around that time.

The songs are pure quality and were captured perfectly by Gil Norton's (Bunnymen, Pixies) production.

Its all here from mellow Jazz, to country to rock and roll and the lyrics are just pure genius, from a man with a big heart and plenty of stories to tell.

I thought it was time to buy this classic album on cd, especially with the enticement of extra tracks like Troubletowm and Roll on Summertime.

However these are demo versions which pale next to the original singles recordings. It is a shame that these were not included
instead as to my knowledge they have not yet been made available on cd. I can only think that these recordings could not be used for copyright reasons.

This you can live with I guess as the actual songs shine through and even in their demo forms it is better to have them there than not at all.

However the real problem comes in the middle of the actual album itself. I could not beleive my ears when it got to one of my favourite tracks 'Piece of the Cake' and instead of the beautiful
version that appears on the original album you now get a substandard demo recording of the song (apparently recorded around the same time as the bonus tracks). This ruins the whole mood and flow of an otherwise perfect album. I would really like to know the reasoning for this apparent tinkering. There is room on the cd to have included this version at the end and left the original tracklist intact. Leaving out the actual album version altogether seems absurd.

In short by all means buy this cd, but if you have an original version keep hold of it. Maybe one day this wonderful album will
get the reissue it deserves and be restored to it former glory and perhaps the superior versions of the bonus tracks could be included.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2007
Been a fan for 20 years and never get sick of listening to this album. Now its on CD don't need to worry about damaging the vinyl. Some differences from the big black disc I bought back in 87 but what the hell - its a fantastic album.
on 8 September 2012
I heard Boat to Bolivia ( the single) in a nightclub in Rhyl in the late eighties. I heard it once and it was so good compared to the rest of the playlist that I had to seek out the album - which didn't include the titular track, confusingly. I then played it a LOT. Martin Stephenson's lyrics are intriguing, albeit gauche, but the music is amazing. So, I was really looking forward to this CD, and to hearing the single again after 25yrs. CD1 is exactly as I remembered... apart from 'Piece of the Cake', which is inexplicably an entirely different version. Gone is the lush production entirely fitting a song about a Hollywood fantasy of life, and now there is what sounds like a demo. The song is still good, but I would have preferred the album I remember note for note.

Disc 2 has a few great songs, but there was little as joyous as the first album in later releases.

Worth it for that one CD, but all I wanted was a piece of the cake...
on 11 February 2009
Whilst not as commercially great as Gladsome, Humour and Blue, this album is a must to complete your understanding of where Mr. Stephenson came from. Slightly more 'real' and soulful. Take it like a tin of Golden Syrup. Long and slow.
on 3 July 2015
Lovely Martin Stephenson, love all his music but Boat To Bolivia is still his best in my opinion. He is a friend and writes with compassion about people he has met. One of my favourite albums of all time.
on 14 August 2009
Put simply the best album ever made.If you are serious about true honest music buy this album you will not be dissapointed. Martin Stephenson and the Daintees were a real breath of fresh air at the end of the eighties with a cross over between country ,pop ,folk and rockabilly with a little reggea thrown in at the end with the tile track boat to boliva. This album changed my view of music forever and for that Martin I thankyou!!!
on 6 October 2010
So good to hear this again! It's a timeless album and worth buying for an old fan or a new one!
on 4 March 2013
An almost forgotten gem hidden in my vinyl collection, my memory was stirred when I was trawling the site, so after almost 30 years I bought it again - superb! (As was the case with most Kitchenware releases at that time.)