Customer reviews

Doctor Zhivago [Blu-ray] [1965] [Region Free]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 31 July 2009
There are only a handful of good 'classic' films, this is one of them. For all generations is has it all. A must for any collector of top quality DVD.
on 2 November 2013
Saw this blu-ray disc on my new set-up of 100" screen and latest Epson projector. It was like watching Dr Zhivago for the first time. The way it was meant to be experienced. As a poem.

The colour red is used as a motif. From the red of protest banners marching through Moscow, the plush red opulence of the restaurant on new year's eve. The red of blood on the snow. Her red dress of compliance.

Those examples are within the first hour. Late in the movie you are reminded of these times, these red times, by the tiny red head scarf of the child's doll upon a rocking horse. All alone in an empty, icy house as the bad man comes to abuse Lara. Take her away from love.

A film of dark and light. Of power. Power over men, over a man, over a woman. Power of ideas. And those sunflowers. Defiant with their colour, with their existence. Like the daffodils in Yuri's garden. The yellow of the train bringing his safe wife. The kiss of two old people sleeping on the floor of a cattle train in amongst the straw and disinfectant: the old woman smiles with her eyes still closed. The forced labour man looks-on chained to his bed with his speech of freedom ridiculed by that one solitary kiss. Power.

And eyes. The way the director uses eyes to show not tell of the passion, the hurt, the hunger and the love. Beauty in the depths of anarchy. The music of the balalaika. The red balalaika. His mum's balalaika.

For me I am reminded of Those Times. Those Times of total freedom of the working classes. The 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. You see it in those names: Rita Tushingham, Tom Courtney, Julie Christie. The stunning Lara. Days of freedom. The freedom to be yourself. Not chained to consumerism. Somewhere My Love.
on 8 January 2011
Like one or two other reviewers I only had half the film. Yes, I know about flipping the disk over but both sides of the disc contained the second half of the picture. It is some time since I purchased the dvd and I have no receipt. Happily a friend had an old vhs copy which worked reasonably well. It is a marvellous movie and I saw it first when I was young back in 1965. The movie belongs to Julie Christie and Rod Steiger in my view. If I could have one movie with me on a desert island it would be Zhivago.
on 13 March 2012
I found it interesting that it came in 2 disks and yet the whole film was on 1 disk that had to be upside down to be able to play the other side of the film. Although this work well and had no problems with what so ever I found it strange. I have never come across another one like it. Very good value for money and fast delivery. Good condition and a feature disk as well. Nice love story and epic film from years ago. Watchable by older viewers. Recommend the seller.
on 13 August 2016
This is a film that I came across purely through my love of Lara's Theme, a song that I heard a lot of when I was a small child. Having decided to try and find the song on the internet (I couldn't remember what it was called), I came across the film. I had heard of many great films, and many great love stories, but had never seen this. Having decided to dedicate a Sunday afternoon to watch it, I was completely absorbed by the storyline and with the magnificent scenery and locations within the film. This film takes you through a rollercoaster of emotions and left me feeling quite lost for words as the end credits came up. I can't say enough good things about this film. It is a masterpiece and I cannot recommend highly enough. The cast are great, the music is beautiful and the scenery magical.
on 15 March 2014
This is my 14th viewing of this film since it came out in the cinema in 1965. If you havn'tt seen it your missing a great iconic movie.
on 21 November 2014
There are no words to describe this other than superb in every way.
on 14 December 2015
Classic
on 19 December 2015
This is an amazing film, haven't watch all of the DVD yet but I'm sure it will be fine
on 19 February 2016
Very quick service item just as described