on 5 July 2011
This ambitious merging of frenzied tribal African rhythms and rituals, syncopated 'dub' beats, neoclassical elements, chamber music, heavy-metal riffs and church-operatic choirs, could be described as a merging of Public Image Limited's 'Flowers Of Romance' and Canterbury-style prog rock. But that description in itself does not do this brilliant work justice. Much of the album is dominated by the superb drumming of George Barnett and the counterpoint of keyboardist Sophie Sleigh-Johnson.

Rather like the musical equivalent of a Stanley Kubrick film, this album works as an intricate, albeit slightly bleak and heartless puzzle. The icy and detached aesthetics of the music amount to a genre that is yet to be given a name.
on 25 January 2010
These New Puritans are a band I've been familiar with for a few years, I saw them support British Sea Power at Koko, and in all honesty I wasn't totally blown away - a few decent songs was my summation - I've certainly matured in my tastes since then and listening back to their debut now, I can see a bit more than "a few decent songs" beyond the obvious grain of Numerology, Colours and Elvis.
It was purely one song that made me go back to TNPS - hearing the epic We Want War that has been streaming for a while now.
The song is brutal, its beating drum and keyboard work that leads the path to a seven minute tour-de-force that will rank it highly in songs of 2010 threads that are still some months away.

Hidden is an ambitious, experimental indie showing that epitomises what an album is all about - none of this 79 pence a song rubbish here - this is an album that flows from start to finish and for a true experience it's
Attack Music follows We Want War with its relentless almost mechanised drum (sorry) attack amidst drawn swords (seriously). Hologram, a definite stand-out is a somewhat mellower affair, and it works wondrously.
Whilst songs like Orion aren't as obvious stand-out's they do a great job of segueing between the albums stand-outs, the last of which is White Chords before 5 ends the album with mainly instrumental wonderings.
I'm never the biggest fan of instrumental tracks, but the ones here as I say, do a great job of bringing the songs together to make a traditional album feel with music that is anything but traditional.

January of 2010 has already proven to be a good start for the year, see Beach House Teen Dream for another great album (let's hope it continues)

My advice is simple - Buy Hidden 9/10
on 27 May 2010
Lets face it, how many albums really push the boat out and try to take some risks.
Not many. This does. And that will do for me. Thrilling no wave new wave drum wave after wave after wave.
on 30 November 2017
on 3 April 2010
If you don't like pretentious, stear clear of 'Hidden'. It displays Yes or Emerson, Lake and Palmer-like levels of pretention. It tries very hard indeed to be different and clever. But if it wasn't so pretentious, so preposterously, self-consciously ambitious it would not be so distinctive, so effective and such an admirable achievement.

There are many good young bands in Britain, the USA and elsewhere but far too many seem content to imitate their contemporaries, or update their heroes and cult favourites from the 60s, 70s or 80s. What many lack is the ambition to be much more than the new White Stripes, Gang of Four or New Order. To be something of their own creation, to record something that is its own genre. 'Hidden' is exactly that ambitious, which is enough to make it worth hearing at least once.

Whether you'll want to hear it twice is another matter. I did, because at times I found it quite thrilling. It's not wholly successful but it's high points are towering and totally justify the ambition. These New Puritans are not just pretending to be a different proposition.
on 2 March 2010
When I read the reviews for TNP's second album it seemed you either love or hate it and since then it appears that more people love it than hate it and I add myself to the list of positive reviews.

This is a good progression from Beat Pyramid which was a good album, but I always knew they could do better. Their second album does not disappoint and perhaps I am reviewing this too soon having only bought the album 2 weeks ago, but have gave it a few listens and I can't get enough of the album. It will be difficult to find a better album this year, as Hidden proves that These New Puritans really are a great band and the whole thing works with those amazing drum beats appearing even more sonic than on Beat Pyramid. I dread to think how good a 3rd/4th album could be if they continue to progress at this rate.

I would say tracks 1-11 are the stand-out tracks on the album, which isn't bad going for an 11 track album.
on 15 August 2015
replacement order,great job zoverstocks,much appreciated
many thanks
on 28 January 2010
Mainly just noise and bad 'singing' Not for me thanks. This was swiftly returned...

I'm normally not to fussed about the singing quality if the music is good, but both music and singing was so unlistenable that I just could not get into it.

I appreciate it may be to some peoples tastes, but I just didn't 'get it'......
on 21 August 2015
Good album.
on 9 May 2010
Music taste is a controversial theme, but in my opinion this CD is a great piece of art. "These new puritans" create songs that fits perfectly into the year 2010. For myself I often compare "Hidden" with "Kid A" by "Radiohead" (2000) because even in ten years it still will be both, ageless and modern in the same time. The hidden track is very well hidden. But it's a great song, and worth of searching it. I am not from GB, but the CD is much cheaper on Amazon.uk, even with customs duty. Anyone that likes special music, will love this album. But first listen to myspace music to get an impression of what it sounds like (as every normal person does). It is an investigation, and for holding the CD in hands, it's worth the money. By downloading it you lose some of the "magic", I think. :)

And even if your not from GB the delivery works well.