Customer reviews

I'm New Here
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 March 2010
over hyped? too short? another version coming? yes.
however this is sunday morning music. it is like running water, it flows perfectly.
do we wish it was more? of course. with the words to a previous song "is this jazz" in mind, if you see it on offer, buy it full stop.
on 9 February 2010
For years many of us believed that Gils social and economic commentary was just that . What has become all too evident in the subsequent years is that Gil also lived it . This record sort of exemplifies this . As ever , Gil is difficult to categorize musically but it is Gil the man that we are looking at here . Lyrically you get the impression that this musical genius would probably not be the easiest company but isn't that what we would want ?
Musically , the stripped down nature of this more than welcome return generally works . Although some of the arrangements verge on darkish Depeche Mode with Gils voice still able to come to the rescue . Great to have you back Gil .
on 17 July 2011
I own roundabout 3000 albums, this is definitely in top ten. Probably the best album made this century. (Last time I was so excited about music 1988 after I had bought AC/DC`s Highway To Hell, so huge respect for this one, Classic LP!)
on 8 September 2013
I find Gil's spoken word mesmerising and I like it when he sings too. This twenty eight minute album contains short observations on life lasting just seconds interspersed with some fine tunes.

I love it when young musicians pay respect to their peers. On this album you will find musicians like Damon Albarn helping to update Gil's sound.

Some long time fans do not like this album and tell you to avoid it. Don't listen to them. Listen to this album. It is a very rewarding listen.

The music and the lyrics give you a warm feeling. 'Me and the devil', 'I'll take care of you' and 'I'm new here' are not Gil's compositions but you may as well regard them as such because on here he does make them his own.

This is an album that I have played a lot in a short space of time. An essential purchase. Very moving. Very, very good indeed.

It is very different to his earlier material but it is still unmistakably Gil Scott-Heron. He is a wonderful interpreter of song and a fine poet.

His lyrics on 'running' are about when to run (and take flight) and when not to. Clever and thought provoking.

I could write all day about the brilliant and infectious 'New York is killing me' but instead I will simply recommend that you buy this unique satisfying blend of all things Gil with amazing and scintillating modern music back drop.

This is in my humble opinion one of the very finest recorded works that could be slipped into your CD player. Astonishingly good. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A FAN OF THE MAN TO DIG THIS. IT IS AN ALBUM THAT STANDS ON ITS OWN MERITS. Buy it.
on 19 March 2011
I can't think of a single other current artist capable of making an album of this depth and soulfulness. It's superb.

A warning - this is GSH, for sure, but the soul/jazz funky social commentary is replaced by something much darker, much more personal, something which sounds like a broken individual picking himself back up.... which is probably exactly where GSH is right now.

I've not listened to it many times yet; that probably reflects the advice in the notes that the best thing to do is sit down and listen carefully.
on 27 March 2010
I didn't know much about Gil Scott Heron and I bought the album on the strength of the single, Me And The Devil. The album is a short (about 30 minutes) meditation on death consisting of songs, poems and extracts from inteviews. The rest of the album is quite unlike Me And The Devil but it works as a complete piece of work and I'd recommend it but if you just liked the single then get that instead.
on 8 May 2012
My first intro to GSH was with 'Johannesburg' playing in the background in the movie 'House Party 2'. I liked the tune, but never knew who it was until I heard 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' playing on Radio 2, and began looking into GSH back catalog. 1999's 'Evolution Flashback' album is an excellent best of. Then came the 'I'm new here' album which I will treasure. Like Johnny Cash, Gil-Scott passed away shortly after the albums release, as though he saw the end was nigh and wanted to leave us a parting gift.
The albums production stands out, and left me wondering who it was produced by? Which brings me here today. Being a teen in the 90's, i'm am both surprised and yet not surprised to find this album was produced by Richard Russell, who co produced the 1992's rave classic 'Kicks Like a Mule'.
Gil Scott is known as a Jazz Poet but in this last album, he even sings for us in 'I'll take care of you'.
You will not be disappointed with this album, I highly recommend it.
on 30 June 2011
This is a fantastic piece of music, I have been an admirer of Gill Scott Heron since he produced The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. I'm New Here has beautiful, challenging, heartfelt lyrics and music, this is a must have disc, which I am listening to again and again.
on 15 June 2010
Gill's new album is gold. some of the sound bites in between songs are skippable on subsequent plays. I recently saw him in Edinburgh. Excellent show aside from some support player showboating.
on 28 February 2010
a welcome return from the grand-daddy of rap, the voice is still as beguiling, the message just as pertinent and the overall sound is fantastic, long may he continue to make music.