TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 July 2014
Virtually indestructible! Or at least very hardwearing and able to withstand a lot of abuse. However, that is not how I treat my Stanley vacuum products. I currently own a 1L, 1.9L vacuum flask and now a 0.5L vacuum food jar. This is my first vacuum food jar by any manufacturer so I was particularly interested in how it performed to keep food hot or cold. In all probability I will only use it to keep hot food hot. I have already used it to keep porridge and soup hot, although not together, of course.

The trick to keeping food, or for that matter liquids, hot or cold is to preheat or pre-cool the vacuum container (flask/food jar). This can be achieved by first filling it with hot water or with ice water or ice cubes and to leave standing for a short while. The reason for this is that the vacuum container, inside and out, is made from stainless steel which needs to be heated or chilled prior to the foodstuff being inserted. If there is much of a temperature difference between the metal lining and the foodstuff, heat will flow from the hotter material to the cooler material. For example, placing hot soup in a vacuum flask or food jar at ambient temperature will reduce the temperature of the soup slightly so that it does not remain hot for as long as expected. Alternatively, placing ice cream in a vacuum jar at ambient temperature will raise the temperature of the ice cream which may begin to melt. It too, will not remain cold for as long as expected. First time users often fail to appreciate this.

If these simple rules are obeyed there is no reason why a steel vacuum flask or food jar should not keep its contents at a respectable temperature hot/cold for between 12 - 18 hours. I have made coffee at 8.00am which I have taken to work and brought home and drunk the remainder at 9.00pm the same day. Correct preparation is paramount otherwise the performance of these all-steel vacuum containers may disappoint. For shear ruggedness I give the Stanley Food Jar top marks.
on 29 September 2012
Received this item today. Lovely flask, just the right size to take to work. So here goes with my test. At 3.30pm today i put boiling water in for 10 minutes to warm the flask up, then put a tin of soup on the stove and boiled this up, emptied the water out and poured the soup.in. Replaced cap and cup then just now at 10pm i took the top off and sure enough the soup was hot and steaming. I would mark my little flask with 10/10. Its great and i would recommend it. This is well made and the quality is second to none and whats more you get a life time quarantee.
I have added this because thats how pleased i am with the product. I left the soup in the flask and went to bed, when i took the lid off at 7am the following morning:- OMG IT WAS STILL WARM (TEPID) TO TOUCH. Well done stanley
Update
Just thought i would let you all know that i have taken my flask to work every day last week and Stanley has not let me down so far.....great going stanley and thank you sooooo much. Best £19 ever spent.
on 28 February 2014
Picnics are great - but now they are all the better for this clever flask. It has a very wide opening (same diameter as the food space), so you can get anything in - including solid food.

So fancy being the envy of your picnicking friends with home grilled sausages, piping hot (*) as hotdogs for the family? Now you can.... There's room for six butcher's sausages, or maybe 10 hot dog sausages in the flask. You could probably fit 6 chicken drumsticks in - I can't wait to try !!

(* OK I have not yet used the flask for sausages, but will do soon!!).
on 20 October 2014
I purchased this for my husband as he is fed up with eating sandwiches every day for lunch and with winter coming, it is nice to eat something hot. Today at 7am I heated up some soup and put in the flask. At 1pm, when he opened it, he was complaining it had burnt his tongue! He said I heated it too much in the morning! It was still as hot as I had heated it, at 1pm!

Amazing! I have previously given him home cooked sausage casserole in this for lunch, and he said it was just as hot at lunchtime as when I had heated it in the morning.

It does what it say's on the tin, it keeps your food hot!
on 2 February 2015
Purchased this flask just over two years ago for our child to take hot food to school as an alternative to paying for school meals. Flask has been used almost daily for two years .Works well and sometimes we have had complaints the food was too hot when flask was opened for lunch. Flask needs to be pre heated with water though. Can also keep food cool in summer. Putting flask in freezer empty without the top on over night will keep ice cream frozen and custard cold for hours. Only put the food into the flask after it has been removed from the freezer of course, otherwise it may be unfit for consumption when it is eaten several hours later.
on 24 July 2013
there is a silicone seal around lid, which food can seep under and its hard to get it 100% clean if you are fussy about this sort of thing. plus side it keeps stuff warm for ages and makes a change to take hot food to work sometimes. perfect for cups of tea on the beach.
on 12 February 2013
Have had this for a month or so and think its brillliant.

Well made and keeps my soup hot. Have found that its at its best when you pre-heat the flask for at least ten minutes, I usually mircowave my soup during the last five minutes and then transfer it to the flask, after emptying it of the boiling water.

The only possible downside is the rubber seal which creates the vacuum. This may deteriorate over time, depends on how often you use it.. Would definitely recommend to others and colleagues have been considering it.
on 21 November 2012
I bought a pink one of these flasks over a year ago. I was sceptical as I'd had other flasks which didn't keep my food particularly warm,.I would thoroughly recommend a Stanley though - even if you only fill it with boiling water for a round five mins it keeps food very hot indeed. I use it for taking home made and bought soups to work for lunch where there is no microwave and it is excellent. I recommended it to a work colleague and she loves hers too. It seems expensive but it is durable, has never leaked and completely does the job. I like the wide neck as I often have chunky soup and its good for leftover pasta etc too. Only issue is it's not great at pouring out into the lid , so keep a napkin handy ! I simply pop it on the microwave on an evening and it comes out sparkling. I wouldn't use anything else now ! Does what it says on the tin. Delighted customer.
on 15 September 2015
Bought it for my husband to take to work with soup in for lunch. Keeps it hot for over 6 hours, great wide neck to use a spoon, very robust. Would recommend
on 2 October 2013
Bought this for my sons food as his very fussy at school, what i can i say other than its the best Thermos we have ever owned. It keeps the food hot all day,highly recommended.

See one answered question