on 30 May 2010
Four Tet, alongside his contemporary Burial (who Kieran Hebdan aka Four Tet did a 12'' with called Moth/Wolf Cub) has a knack for producing electronic music with real soul. Just listen to the chopped up vocals repeating the album title on first track 'Angel Echoes', or the way 'Plastic People' cleverly samples 60's girl-group The Chiffons 'Nobody Knows What's Going On' to nostalgic effect. Some people may be perturbed that Hebden has chosen such rigid and traditional structures for this album, but I feel confident that this is him tinkering with a well-worn formula and squeezing something new out of it, 'til his next album which will be something different entirely. 'Love Cry' may seem (dare I say) dull for the first four minutes with a continuous drum-loop, but when the hissing vocal eases in it felt to me like the wait was worth it for the euphoric lift. Last song 'She Just Likes to Fight' loses the beat but replaces it with a guitar melody so effortlessly evocative that it makes me pity those bands that try to meld synthesisers and guitars to such convoluted effect (cough* Delphic, Klaxons, cough*). This is a wonderful album that only evades five stars because I know Four Tet is capable of even more. Here's to whatever he does next!
on 20 November 2015
I'd say it's Four Tets finest moment. .
on 13 March 2017
Brilliant album. Lovely artwork and sounds great on vinyl
on 15 October 2015
Four Tet is a master maestro and this album is a good buy.
on 17 November 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 July 2014
Simply a great listen.
on 27 October 2010
First things first

the track listing for this album is as follows

1. "Angel Echoes" 4:00
6. "This Unfolds" 7:55
7. "Reversing" 2:40
8. "Plastic People" 6:34
9. "She Just Likes to Fight" 4:34

the album is well packaged and sounds amazing!

I am not sure why amazon are selling this vinyl so cheap, but buy it!
on 29 May 2012
Everything else by this man is delicious. With this release he seems to have lost all of his artistic flair to produce something bland, monotonous and uninspired. I have tried listening to this several times, sober and not sober and there's nothing that sparkles. I really wish I could say something better about it. It really isn't worth the money. I wouldn't dream of downloading music as artists who produce the sounds which enhance my life should be supported. However for any future release from Fourtet I will definitely be listening on YouTube before I buy as I no longer trust him to deliver the goods. This is background music and doesn't hold my attention in its own right. Very disappointing.
on 21 August 2011
I write this as an electronic music 'novice'. Or maybe I should just say that I have only a passing interest in the genre. There's a very few electronic artists (leaving aside ambient music..Hecker, Eno, Roach, Rich et. all) that I enjoy listening to actively and these include the likes of Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Mum, Animal Collective (circa Merriweather Post Pavilion), Massive Attack, etc. I can now add Four Tet to that very short list. I look forward to discovering the rest of his work.

The one reason I usually can't get into electronic music is that it all starts to sound the same after a while. Also a lot of it sounds 'manufactured', as if there was a common template available to everyone and only adding some minor variations would qualify it as a new song. I also don't like the fact that a lot of electronic (especially dance) music tends to be a bit too busy for its own good.

And that's what I really appreciate about this record. It breathes. It actually has superb dynamics and does not shove a barrage of beats or breaks down one's throat. This is one of the most natural sounding electronic records I've ever heard. Subtle, intimate, intelligent (in its use of beats and vocal samples). There might not seem to be a lot going on at the first listen but the songs gradually unfold (pardon the pun) to reveal their simple beauty. I won't go into discussing specific songs as this is a record meant to be heard as a whole for it to have the greatest impact. But a special mention must go to the closer 'She just likes to fight' which has a sense of nostalgia and longing that takes me back many years. It's stunningly beautiful.

So if you are like me and just trying your hand at this genre, this record should be on the top of your wish list. Buy the vinyl or the CD, listen to it on a good stereo, sit back with your drink of choice, filter out all thoughts of the ugly world outside and let this record wash over you with its lush soundscapes.
on 22 July 2011
I bought this album on the strength of Four Tet's incredible recent work with Burial. Aside from clear stand out tracks Angel Echoes, and She Just Likes To Fight (which sounds like Explosions In The Sky - and, naturally Plastic People, following his residency at the Dubstep club, much of the album has quite a housey feel. A slight disappointment at first for anyone expecting a more ambient/dubstep inspired sound - yet still a superb album for what it is. Hopefully his next record will be truly brilliant, as his sound develops in this direction.