on 1 September 2016
I purchased these speakers almost six years ago and I still love them.

I like the look of these speakers they are unique and are fairly well built. Adjusting the bass and treble is easy with a click halfway to notify you where the neutral is on each. You can control the volume using the touch sensitive buttons on the right hand satellite, at first I was skeptical about the touch sensitive operation as I thought it might not last very long but they are still working after almost six years so no need to worry. The only thing I didn't like was the aux cable, it seemed cheap and flimsy so I purchased a higher quality one.

They are fairly small but produce an excellent sound in my opinion. They can reach very loud volumes and always sound crisp (I have used them for a couple of house parties and have always been loud enough). The bass when turned fully up can be felt all around the room but I usually use it around halfway, which is more than enough for me.

Overall I think they are excellent value, even today! I didn't own any previous versions so I cant compare that way but if you are looking for some desktop/ table top speakers then these are definitely worth considering in my opinion.
on 6 November 2013
The only way to get really clean, lifelike sound across the whole range is with decent-sized wooden cabinet speakers and a quality hi-fi amp. However this system comes impressively close at around a quarter the size and a quarter the price. The bass is very present and although very slightly processed-sounding and lifeless by hi-fi standards, not nearly as much so as on comparable desktop speaker systems I've heard. The mid range - often a weak point with satellite bass speaker systems - is fine, and the treble sounds true and probably goes above what my 48-year-old ears can hear. Highly recommended for TVs and computers, and plugged into a DVD/CD player, would probably be OK as the main living room stereo for most people. I'm going to get a couple more as Christmas presents for people enduring rubbish sound from flat-screen TVs.
on 26 January 2013
Wanted to get some 2.1 speakers to connect to my PC and wanted white as it matched the room. Looked at quite a few online and went to local PC World to test a few - but the cheaper items despite some decent Amazon reviews looked pretty naff and sound quality made me decide to go for these. I have a JBL iPod dock and had JBL speakers in my car many yrs ago so a brand I trusted. Sound quality on these is very good. but the build quality is 1st class. cant beleive the price of these - well worth spending that little bit more. I had some Accoustic Energy ones a few yrs back which i swapped with a friend as I didnt need them then - they are sold for £120 on Amazon and I would say sound quality is about the same. But with the volume controls on these JBL ones on one of the speakers it makes it very easy to control no need to fiddle with the sub on the floor. I love it - not sure my neighbour will - as the base is quite decent! Great item.
on 11 April 2013
I purchased these to save space on my original setup (a £400 setup) that had 'stopped working as it should'! I have previous experience with JBL (car hifi system and my Harmon Kardon (who I believe are now one and the same company?!) amplifier for my home hifi), so I thought i'd give these a shot because of the name. There are lots of different reviews of the 'creature III' - my budget was 'very' tight and all the reviews that I read contradicted each other!
From my viewpoint, the audio quality from this system is good and solid. The bass is powerful if you need it and captures everything, and the treble is genuinely 'crystal clear'. The only reason I didn't give these 5 stars is that there seems to be 'something' lacking from the mid tones to me. I notice it all the more as the trebles and basses are so flexible, it almost amplifies (sorry for accidental pun) the lack of mid range. That said however, it is still incredibly good and you could theoretically change the equalizer on the computer to compensate somewhat.
In fact, for pure 'kicks' I am thinking of saving up and buying the black version for my pc (the white ones are for my mac). The looks are awesome and the footprint they leave is minute. I am generally not convinced by 'splitting' up the audio into 2 speakers and sub woofer (usually because of said mid range problem) but these speakers cope well and I would not hesitate to recommend them. For this price range certainly, I cannot find a better alternative - a sound investment (I couldn't predict that pun either, dreadful!).
on 14 May 2013
I have had the JBL Creature II for years now. They are perfect for the bedroom with the sub directly under the bed. The Creature III's didn't disappoint. Bought these for the teenager to use in his room. He learned a lesson about good sound and proceeded to pay us back by blasting out some modern, teenage s*** at top volume.

The mayor from the neighbouring town called to complain about the noise - surely that speaks volumes.

You won't go wrong buying the Creature III's.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2016
Bought these to replace an older set of Creature 2 speakers which I had bitten the dust after 8 years. The sound on these is not as good as the older speakers, but the real killer for me is the way they pick up the signal from our mobile phones! Even when the mobile phones are in another room you can hear the signal as a highly annoying 'buzz' though the speaker like you wouldn't believe. Unusable. Wish I had sent them back as soon as I first heard the buzz rather than persevering with the speakers.
on 1 June 2013
I was very disappointed with this produce, to the point were I sent it back.
My sister owns the creature II (the earlier 40W version) and the clarity of those are very impressive. This led me to buying the latest model thinking that if anything it would be the same quality and standard. However I was wrong, the clarity and control allowed by the bass and treble variation is lacking, the small speakers no longer light up, which I always found a nice feature in the old model and worst of all after listening to the system on a slightly louder volume setting, one time, there was a constant crackle in the background. These factors led to the eventual return of the product, I'm sorry to say.

Hope this helps in making you decision.
on 7 March 2014
Had some original JBL Creatures and these are just as good if not better. I maintain that these speakers are the best on the market for the price point and have the potential to compete with higher priced speakers. Dont be fooled by the smaller size the sub is just as strong when played loud and the satellites work very well in autonomy! A must buy if you want high quality sound at a reasonable price
on 22 August 2013
We love that these speakers don't look like speakers! They sit in the fireplace with a modest and subtle appearence but really kick out the sound when you need them to. We affectionately call it 'Darth'.
We had the previous model to this before and preferred it (hence the 4 stars here rather than 5) The older model felt a bit chunkier and better made and the little speakers had individual volume controls on them which this model lacks. We had to buy new ones due to a flood which wrecked the old ones and these are fine but I would probably buy the older model if I were to start over.
on 10 June 2013
Though disappointed there is no headphone outlet these nevertheless rock. Bass & Treble can be finitely controlled and volume - + is a cinch to adjust. The Creatures take up no space on the desk and look cool, as well as neat and tidy. The subwoofer is small enough ( 9" square ) to be positioned anywhere beneath the desk, cable length allowing. This is a value for money 2.1. You will be pleasantly surprised by the volume, tones & clarity of sound.