Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

VINE VOICEon 24 September 2010
This maybe a bit of a lazy review but this is Harvest Moon played live and sourced form a number live shows.
To my mind the feel of the songs is better than the studio versions just for the stripped back performances, and the live feel. This certainly is a great accompaniment to that album, and at the current Amazon Price represents great value. What is a shame is that some more of the songs performed in this style at that time were not included as a Full Neil Young acoustic show can be spell binding, maybe he is saving that for a DVD release someday !!!
on 8 December 2009
The Performance Series releases for the most part have been my favourite part of Neil's archives project. They have ranged from good to essential in my view, Massey Hall being the best and most essential and Dreamin' Man the least for me. What made Massey Hall special was it was a complete performance and the unreleased tracks and stripped down versions of tracks like Down by the River made it an essential purchase. Don't get me wrong there is some fantastic performances on this release, Dreamin' Man, Such a Woman and War of Man especially shine in this stripped down format.

The problem for me is what's not here! By limiting the concept of this release to ONLY tracks from the Harvest Moon album, performances of which have been chosen from the whole of 1992's year long solo tour, we miss out on hearing unreleased gems like..... Hitchhiker, Love Art Blues and Homefires.... all of which were performed and recorded and the inclusion of any of the above would have made this an essential purchase. Plus.... Silver and Gold was played every night of the first solo tour, solo acoustic versions of Tonight's the Night, Powderfinger, This Notes for You, Cripple Creek Ferry etc etc, where also performed on this tour. So it is more the concept of the release I have an issue with, as opposed to the performances which are fantastic and well worth hearing.

The sound quality is just outstanding especially if your CD player can decode HDCD and the cover art is lovely. I love Neil's vocal quality from the early 90's, really suits the reflective tone of the material from that era.
I look forward to the next Archives release, they are really coming thick and fast now. I recommend something from the Blue Note era or Tonight's the Night tour Neil if your reading.
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2010
Not Neil, obviously, but the songs themsleves. Harvest Moon was a good album but always seemed a little polished (certainly to theis reviewer who is in the Crazy Horse camp when it comes to NY music).
These versions are more raw and reminiscent of Neil's later acoustic sets (e.g. 2008 first set) allowing the lyrics to come to the fore.

Whether this release will gain Neil any new fans I don't know but most older ones will be very happy with it. I have now played this several times and am not bored by it in the slightest.

New material for 2010 perhaps?
on 8 December 2009
Let me first say that in my estimation Neil Young is one of the finest singer/songwriters ever in rock and popular music.This set is the wonderful 'Harvest Moon' live in concert played entirely solo by the man himself.
This is a landmark album,and in this setting sounds absolutely fabulous. Neil has such a distinct voice,no one can sing his songs as well as he can.For an artist who can grunge it better than most,he is just an amazingly sensitive writer and performer of acoustic based material,which is why he has been at the forefront of popular rock for so long.2009 saw him headline Glastonbury as well as Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park.But here is Neil waving his musical magic like no one else can performing one complete album on his own.Any guitarist loves the opening chord structure of Harvest Moon,one of the great acoustic leads.Every song here is what classic writing and performing is all about.The wait to get this set from 1992 is more than worth the wait.I came to love his music from his set on the MTV Unplugged series which contained a few of these songs.That album is among my favourite albums of all time,and I think this release is about to join it.One of the best releases of the year.Not to be missed.
on 22 August 2010
If you are into the acoustic side of the music of NY, you can't go wrong with this album. NY still at his best, only with guitar and bluesharmonica or at the piano. Although I love his work with Crazy Horse, for me NY is the man with the guitar and the harmonica alone on stage. 'Dreamin' man','Harvest Moon' and Unknown Legend' are the highlights on this album. If you like this, you'll certainly like 'Massey Hall 1971'. I would say as a fan you can't go on without them!
on 9 December 2009
Normally I wouldn't dream of reviewing a record after 1 listen but here the material is so familiar. After Massey Hall and Filmore concerts appeared on Archives Vol 1 I did dither on buying this in case it happens again. I am glad I did get it, of the 50 or so NY live albums I have this goes straight in at #2 behind only Massey Hall. Of course it helps that Harvest Moon is my favourite NY studio album and the acoustic performances on this CD are uniformly excellent - and in the case of Natural Beauty absolutely wonderful.

I do take on board the comments of earlier reviewers but let us hope those tracks appear on future Archives releases.

BTW, digitising your old LP of Time Fades Away isn't so hard. Neither is finding a copy of Chrome Dreams.
on 7 December 2009
No 12 in the Archive Performance Series mysteriously jumps forward to 1992 -and the initial live performances of the Harvest Moon collection- bypassing his varied 80's output completely. And what a natural beauty this is.

I've always thought Harvest Moon to be rather lovely - if a little too perfect sounding.
So to get a rawer, slightly slower and more intimate solo take on the songs hits the spot. If you were lucky enough to see Neil on any of his Hammersmith shows in 2008 and loved the vibe of his acoustic set, then go for this.

Shaking up the running order does something very special - some of the songs which I thought were just ok. now seem
really wonderful particularly the opening songs - Dreamin' Man, Such a Woman and One of these Days.

One thing I've wondered though - I've never thought of Harvest Moon as Harvest 2 as it has often been cited. It doesn't sound like that old classic to my ears. The songs are from a man in his mid 40's in a mature relationship. It stands on its own merit - no need to cross refer it to anything else.

This new CD is certainly one of his very best recent releases and will be enjoyed just as much by casual fans. Highly recommended.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2014
Not the best live album and poor quality sleeve. Still it is NY so difficult to be TOO critical!
on 16 November 2014
if you have any emotional connection not stimulated by this then change yourself
on 28 September 2016
Good live Neil Young album of Harvest Moon.