Customer reviews

Bunny and the Bull: Soundtrack
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 December 2011
This is a great album! In truth I cannot say whether it is a great soundtrack as I've yet to see the film, however the music has transported me on a fantastic adventure of my own making.

Apart from perhaps Tindersticks there was never a band more destined to produce a quality soundtrack than Ralfe Band.

Ralfe Band have the creative ability to jump from rumbunctious optimism (I'm guessing possibly misguided in the context of the film) to melodic melancholy often within the constraints of an individual song - perhaps they are musing the human condition?

The opening three tracks are a wonderful prelude to the album as a whole, introducing a number of musical threads and emotions which run throughout the work. The opening Bunny and the Bull Theme indicates the elements of a Vaudevillian horror / freak show. Stephen is one of the most beautiful piano pieces that I can recall, at once reminiscent of Erik Satie and David Sylvian (particularly Japan's Nightporter). I hope that someday the band might expand on this piece of music with its beautifully bleak melancholy. What is Stephen's destiny in the film? Museum takes you on a joyous fairground ride, but what is the brooding synth riff both slightly sinister and strangely familiar?

From the brilliant opening trio there are no weak tracks - and my personal favourites include:
Snow Song - A Ralfe Band classic - could have been from either of their previous albums.
Attics - conjuring the image of a Eastern European wedding dance (from Ralfe Band's previous album Attic Thieves).
Fiesta Song - beautiful mariachi trumpets - what country could we be in now?
Another couple of wonderfully tragic piano pieces Bull Dance and Stephen's Finale are featured in the closing tracks and the delightful lilting lament Our Fighting Was Done completes the proceedings.

Having watched a trailer for the film, I know that this is a Boosh style road trip - I just wonder from the soundtrack how it all ends for Stephen.

I will revisit this review when I eventually watch the film, but for the moment will continue to enjoy this album on its own merits.
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 October 2012
It seems to be the British Cinema at the moment is turning out quirky films which are marked by excellent soundtracks. Submarine had a classic track from Alex Turner, anything by Shane Meadows usually has an eclectic mixture of great songs, and then there is this little gem.

Bunny and the Bull has to be one of the oddest films I have seen, with it's mixture of surreal animations and of beat humour. Producing a suitable background music must have been a daunting task, but the Ralfe Band has certainly risen to it.

The music is totally fitting to the film. It is quirky, fun, serious where it needs to be, surreal at other times. It has a very European flavour, with lots of French accordion and more Eastern influences, that makes it sound at times like some weird hybrid of Gogol Bordello with Satie, with hint of Madness and Pink Floyd thrown in. It's pretty unique, totally fitting to the film, and very listenable to in it's own right (the hall mark of a great film soundtrack for me)

5 stars.