Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 January 2010
First Sentence: The stone quarry lay still and silent under the maelstrom of wind and raging clouds scudding in the skies above.

A body of a clerk for the local mint is found having been dumped in a mine. The only clue is a pristine coin from the reign of King Stephen. Castellan Nicolla de la Haye and her husband Sheriff Gerard Camville have asked templar Bascot de Marins, who has had prior success in uncovering murderers, solve this crime.

I do enjoy this series. Ash creates a very strong sense of time and place. With each book, I learn a bit more history both of England and the Templars. It is that level of detail I appreciate and find fascinating.

Ash's characters are very strong and I appreciate the back-story she provides on them. Marins seemed less conflicted in this book and it also made me wonder whether this is the end of the series, which I would find sad.

Although the story lacked suspense, it was very well plotted. I appreciate when I never quite know where it is going next. There was an excellent, unforeseen twist at the end I particularly enjoyed.

The books may not have the complexity or depth of Susanna Gregory, but for those who enjoy mysteries set in the Middle Ages, this was a better-than-good book in a very good series.

MURDER FOR CHRIST'S MASS (Hist. Mys- Bascot de Marins-England-Middle Ages/1201/02) - G+
Ash, Maureen - 4th in series
Berkeley, 2009, US Papaback, - ISBN: 9780425231579
on 20 May 2017
Nice easy read
on 29 April 2010
I suppose I have only one real critiscism about this book. Maureen Ash states that the characters are celebrating the New Year on January 1st. However in the 13th century the New year was celebrated in March at the spring equinox. It was only when the English took the Gregorian calender in the 18th century that January 1st was considered the first day of the new year. Also the first KNOWN written book of sign language was compiled by the Abbé de L'Epée in the 18th century in France. It could be that there was a one written in England previously because it as considered a closely guarded secret. This is why international sign language is really based on Amerian sign language using one handed spelling whereas british sign language uses both hands.
Apart from that the characters in the book are believeable and endearing characters. I'm looking forward to reading more.
on 28 February 2014
Written in the easy going style of Brother Athelstone and Hugh Corbett series, the Templar Knight books are superb. Have now read the last in the series and at a loose end.
on 21 April 2013
I have enjoyed reading this as much as the first in the series. More so really as I bought the kindle version and could increase the font size ! look forward to the next.
on 26 February 2014
Fans of quality historical mysteries will be delighted to read Maureen Ash. A deft re-creation of a time, with characters you'll want to meet again.
on 30 October 2013
I enjoyed the drama and the factual atmosphere reflecting the period of history. I would recommend it to anyone interested in mediaeval history.
on 2 March 2013
I've been buying these and reading them in chronological order... The lead character is very good and the stories well plotted.
on 21 February 2013
Not quite as good, slower pace than previous books in series that I had read. Liked tha detail of Lincoln life at the time
on 14 December 2016
A pleasure to read this book