on 27 November 2010
Paloma Faith, musician, actress, song writer and performer extraordinaire smashes the pop genre out the park with this wide vocal collaboration of soulful touches, of catching songs and purposeful lyrics that will delight many people of various ages and genders.

Myself, 21 year old male have listened to this frequently in the evenings to help me chill out from work, and on long walks on my phone.

Each song has a strong backing tune that always feels passionate to its purpose, such strong examples include "My legs are weak" and "Play on" missing strong beats and strong lyrics for the desired relaxation effect.

With a vibrancy and uniqueness to rival a Rihanna or a Lady Gaga, Paloma Faith is one to watch for the future, especially since she dived into acting as well.

There are 10 tracks on this record, with not a bad one on there and in complete honesty all sounding varied and unique, it is that special this album.

Released singles have not received the right chart recognition but all remain stand outs. "Stone cold sober" is a great upbeat lively smash whilst recent release "Smoke and mirrors" comes with a narrative connotation demonstrated in the music video.

Another great quality of this 2009 release is that half the songs are relaxing soulful pop songs, such as the album title track and "Broken Doll" and the others are vibrant ecstatic bouncers, "Upside down" and "New York"

I cannot recommend this album enough and I will close by saying this is quite possibly one of 3 albums I have listened to in my life where there is no bad or inconsistent track. Faith's album is vibrant, energetic and truly unique, have a listen and you will not be let down.

10/10
4 people found this helpful
on 10 October 2015
Bought for a silly price. like 5 quid delivered or something. I dont know how anyone could refuse! She has some seriously good tunes here. and this one is a must if you even think you might like her but you are not quite sure. If you saw one of her tunes on an advert and you think you want to buy FALL TO GRACE instead. Then by all means go for it but for my money I would get the pair.
on 12 June 2017
Do I dare admit to liking this album? Me, a dyed in the wool blues/rock/Floyd enthusiast. Yes, I do! True, Paloma's voice does come across as a bit one dimensional but it suits the music. I don't like it all but, then, there aren't many albums where I can say that anyway.
One person found this helpful
on 3 March 2013
I gave this album top rating as it is among the best I have heard for ages.

Here we have an extremely talented singer/songwriter with an amazing voice, very strong and different from all the pop princesses around. She can really belt out a tune. I particularly like tracks one and two Stone Cold Sober and Smoke & Mirrors, but I have lost count of the number of times I have had the whole album on repeat. It is Brilliant with not one bad track.

This album would suit anyone who appreciates individual's, someone "different" even down to her immaculate fashion sense. A true performer, who doesn't just regurgitate other people's work. Paloma is all of these give her a chance and buy this fantastic album.
on 9 April 2012
Got this cd a few days ago, and when I'm not listening to it, I'm singing it to myself. Paloma has burst onto the scene with elegance, each song being a masterpiece(except My Legs Are Weak). The cd opens with her first single Stone Cold Sober and just goes from strength to strength. Highlights include Broken Doll, Upside down and Smoke and Mirrors.

What I am quick to add is that during this work of art the tracks begin to loose momentum. It is also only 37 minutes long. But overall an almost perfect debut. Can't wait for Fall to Grace.
on 8 February 2015
Bought this for my girlfriend who is a big fan of Paloma Faith and she was very pleased with it. Heard her play it and have been to see her live with my girlfriend and I must say she does have a brilliant voice and although not my kind of music I do like quite a few of her songs. For the price as well as being a good album I would recommend this.
on 11 December 2014
I love the jazzy feel to a lot of the music on this album and it is easy to make a comparison with Amy Winehouse, but Paloma's sound is very different. The lyrics are easy to follow and the music varies a lot more between tracks, Paloma has a very interesting voice that will appeal to anyone who likes listening to the female singing voice.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2010
Adding to the resurgence of Brit female acts of late, Paloma's album is pushing the top of the tree. If only it were two tracks longer...sigh. 10 tracks only. But 9 tracks of perfection! I don't do 'Stargazer' but I can live with one dud. Hope you can too since those that remain are top draw?
I see some reviews are comparing her with Amy Whinehouse. Not sure why but please, don't let Paloma go down that wasteful path! She seems a really interesting person and talent in her own right and com ethe next album I'll gladly go and see her live.
on 28 January 2013
I hadn't really taken much notice of Paloma Faith before listening to this album on Spotify on a random chance. It has been a very long time since an album has come along for which I could rate every single track as 4 or 5 star, but this one qualifies. I listened to it 4 times the first day I bought it, not because it needed to grow on me but because I was blown away by it on first listen. The quality of Ms Faith's voice will draw inevitable comparisons with a certain Miss Winehouse but this album brings with it none of the self pitying drama of the latter's music; just soul-lifting tunes that are ceaselessly pleasing to listen to.
on 15 February 2018
Great songs. Should have bought years ago. Catching up with her music. Love it 😊