Customer reviews

TP-LINK TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point
Style: 300M Advanced Access Point/WiFi Booster|Change
Price:£39.99+ Free shipping

on 10 June 2013
I've purchased two of these units. I live in a large (almost) bungalow, with all of my network gear in the basement areas of the house, so my wifi has a lot of work to do. I had a Virgin Superhub (huge misnomer) installed about a year ago and I struggled to get a good wifi signal in all but a couple of rooms, which lead me to install the first of these TP-Link devices at the other end of the property linked via ethernet. Great coverage inside the house, though it's worth noting that the TP-Link covers about 80% of the house with a decent signal, while the Virgin Supergrub covers only about 40% of the house with a decent signal.

Anyhow, at long last the weather has changed and I've returned to sitting out in the garden with a glass of wine and my trusty iPad. Problem is that the TP-Link AP is at the opposite end of the house through several walls and the Supergrub, despite having to penetrate only 1 x 9" wall can't cut the mustard. Enter the 2nd TP-Link AP, now I have great coverage in both house and garden.

I've had no issues with the first device, which I purchased some months ago, the second device has installed just as easily and I've had no issues so far, but I'll let you know. A classic case of 'does what it says on the tin'.
on 12 September 2017
I've been using this access point for at least 3 years, so it's about time I reviewed it. I ran a 40 metre ethernet cable from my home broadband hub to a Holiday Cottage in my Garden which I rent out.

This lttle Gem gives me a full 5 bar signal at every corner of the 3 bedroom Cottage, I recently switched from vodafone to Sky broadband and added a multiroom Sky Q mini box to the Cottage, I had to connect the ethernet cable I was previously connecting to the TP link access point directly in to the Sky Q mini box to connect to the main box in my house, but as the Q mini box isn't wifi, I now had an issue with getting wifi to the guests, no problem, I attached the broadband cable to a TP Link 5 port dekstop switch attached an ethernet cable to Sky Q mini and another ethernet cable to the access point and hey presto 5 bar wifi signal is back.
I highly reccommend this TP-Link access point, I've not had a single problem with it in the 3 years i've owned it. A great buy.
on 27 September 2017
I have had this little thing for quite a while now and I am rather disappointed, to be honest.
When it works, there is little to complain about. The signal strength is fair (but not spectacular), speed is acceptable (when you understand that 300Mbps is just a marketing stunt).
The problem is that quite often it just doesn't work. It randomly disconnects and when it does it, the only option is hard reset with a button on the device. When you need to do it every other day, you can live with it, if you'r patient. But when you have to do that twice a day, it would even piss Buddhist monk off.
I saw that problem reported by many others and updated the firmware a few times, but the issue still persist.
Don't buy. Look for something more reliable (I have two other access points from Netgear in my house and they never go wrong).
on 11 June 2017
I bought this for the sending end of an intelligent wi-fi extender (the wireless channel and network name is different to that of my main router). Its input is via cable from the LAN, and its output (in my case) connected to two directional high gain antennae via RJ174 extension leads.

Despite having an enabled ping watchdog, it was plagued with occasional locking up which required a power down reset to overcome. However, that seems to be finally behind me since enabling the Group Key Update Policy (on Wireless Advanced) by setting the value from the default of 0 to 3600 (ie update every hour). IF you have one of these and it locks up occasionally when used in this mode, give it a try.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 May 2012
An advantage of a wireless network is that it can, in theory, be extended and employ an Access Point to provide a remote sub-group of wired connections rather than have them connected directly by cable - an inconvenient and impossible alternative between different floor levels. This device offers that ability which was the reason for its purchase.

The device can be set to be used in several distinct modes but they are not thoroughly explained within the manual, which tends to be rather vague and assumes a higher degree of user knowledge than may be possessed. Matters are further complicated by most of the contained instructions relating to Windows 9x (although it does not specifically say so) and later versions are sufficiently different to confuse the unwary or inexperienced.

I had worked out from the limited explanations which of its modes I needed to use but, although I had selected it and believed that I had chosen the correct settings, I could not get it to connect my media player to my network.

A call to their Technical Support line, a UK number but not UK-based, provided the advice needed once I explained my intentions and the problem. A few changes and it was working. You may need some patience as the support staff appear not to be native English speakers but they are very knowledgeable.

The device provides just one Ethernet port. If you need to connect two or more devices, an Ethernet switch should be added, which is exactly what I had done.

The Quick Install guide is provided in printed form and is more up-to-date in that it refers to Windows Vista although not to Windows 7, but is no more complete or explanatory. The two most current Windows versions are rather similar although not identical in their networking support. The manual is demanding of expansion and an update which, considering that Windows 8 is likely to be released later this year, it may well lead to further confusion. However their Technical Support is good and 24/7, which is an added bonus when you compare the 9-5, Monday to Friday support offered by others.

UPDATE @ 23-5-2012

Although working and completely functional at 3pm on day one, by midnight the same day I had found that one of my media devices had earlier found a previously unknown update. When I attempted to download it, there was then no Internet connection. The router was still connected and active but the access point had failed to connect wirelessly. I have re-checked the settings, which appear to be fine, but it will sometimes connect for a few seconds and then fail again several times in quick succession.

The point of this device is to provide constant Internet access and especially when needed, but it appears to be unable to do that for any length of time or with any consistency. I consequently decided to return it as it did not work for me other than for the briefest of periods after initial installation.
on 11 February 2013
I bought the TP Link for use as a repeater, having failed to get anywhere with a Netgear product. This one does what it says on the box, once you get it configured. But be warned if you are a Mac user, as am I; the installation guide comes with Windows instructions only, rendering it as much use to you as a chocolate fireguard in the depth of winter.

I was on the point of boxing it and returning it when I found, on the back page, in small print, an 0845 number for the TP-Link helpline. I called it and found a helpful guy on the end. I had trouble understanding his English, and he had trouble understanding my Scottish, but we persevered, and between us we got it right. Now my house is free of blind spots, and my network functions as it should.
on 8 December 2015
Unable to configure to use as an access point with my bt home hub 5 despite ensuring gateway address and subnet correct and turning off dhcp server. Many frustrating hours.
on 22 August 2012
The WA901ND is TP-Link's highest end dedicated Wireless N 300mbps access point. Tp-link itself is a Chinese company known throughout the industry for providing extremely well priced networking equipment. Their products are highly rated and boast an impressive number of industry specific awards and certifications.

I found initial set-up to be a fairly straight forward via the easy to use browser based terminal. Default settings should suffice for most users. (Although, you will need an IQ above 100 to successfully navigate the first connect and update process)

However, in my case I observed that the device itself would reboot every time a moderate load was put on it (by this I mean two computers watching YouTube videos simultaneously). After much tinkering with the settings and some emails to the somewhat useless technical support team, I found the included Power over Ethernet(PoE) adaptor to be the root of my troubles. The fact that they include a PoE adaptor is unusual at this price point (I bought it for £33.33), but if it doesn't work at up to 30 metres (as specified) then it's pointless.

Having taken the PoE adaptor out of the equation the device is now absolutely perfect. Exactly what you would want from an Access point (I'm using it in access point mode).

I've deducted one star because of the insufficient PoE adaptor and the technical support team. I will certainly buy from Tp-link again in future for their no nonsense no thrills approach to home networking. You could do much worse for the money!
on 13 September 2017
I've gone back to using my virgin router
on 16 March 2017