Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

Seventeen-year-old Lady Alexandra Stafford is being introduced into Regency London this season. Too bad she doesn't fit in with her sharp tongue and the fact that she hates dress fittings. The last thing Alex wants is to marry, which is why her mother, the Duchess, is so thrilled it is finally her season.

While Alex attends lavish balls and extravagant dinner parties with her two best friends, Ella and Vivi, she also manages to uncover an important secret involving Gavin Blackmoor, a family friend. His father, the Earl, was killed, and Alex wants to help Gavin find the murderer.

In the process of growing closer to Gavin, she finds her feelings changing, and realizes that maybe marriage and love aren't as bad as she thought them to be.

I am a big historical fiction fan, and this book did not disappoint. Sarah MacLean wrote a beautiful debut novel that was hard to put down. Alex's character was witty and fun. She seemed like someone I would be friends with! Gavin was a handsome character who was also sweet.

If you ever come across THE SEASON, you should definitely pick it up. It was great, and I recommend it to anyone!

Reviewed by: Ashley B
VINE VOICEon 1 July 2011
I didn't realise that this was a teens book when I purchased it as another reviewer says it is, if it is. The main female character and her friends are 17. However, a number of the heroines in Georgette Heyer's Regency books are 16+.

It states on the back of the book that it is histoically accurate re. research. Okay, yes as most of us know who know a little about the Napoleonic wars, Napoleon did escape from Elba and round up supporters. This ended in the battle of Waterloo. So that is correct.

However, her social research of the time is poor to non-existant. 1) As one reader has already stated, an unrelated male would not escort a young unmarried female to a ball. 2) Young ladies (under 21) who were unmarried, were expected to wear only white, or the very palest pastels as evening and ball gowns, to indicate virginal innocence. Under no circumstances would they have worn emerald green, especially to Almacks. They would in all probability have been turned away at the door. 3) Also, no young unmarried lady was allowed to dance a Waltz without the express permission of one of the Patronesses of Almacks, who would vet the male partner first before allowing the couple to dance. So Gavin swinging her into the "opening waltz" would not have happened. Not many waltzes where played at Almacks anyway, as even in 1815, they were considered 'fast' and not the thing. 4) Women didn't wear whalebone corsets in the Regency period. They came in in Victorian times because the waist went back to it's natural level and the hour glass figure was all the vogue. Regency women wore stays; either short stays (more or less the length of a modern long-line bra), or long stays. Stays were not reinforced by whalebone, rather the seams were were rolled and double stiched to give support. The were worn to support the woman's bust, and push it up somewhat (rather like a modern strapless, half-cup bra). Regency fashion was high waisted, just under the bust-line. Therefore, neither the waist or hips could be seen. Evening and ball-gowns were very low cut, so that the emphasis was on the woman's breasts.

However, despite the criticisms, it was quite an engaging story. Even if the 'bad guy' was far too easy to spot from the beginning.
on 3 February 2011
BEWARE THIS IS A TEENAGE BOOK! This is not made clear in the 'blurb' I bought it after enjoying 'Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake' and was severely disappointed - it was not worth the money.
As a teenage book it might be entertaining enough but its extremely unrealistic in terms of its social conventions -for example, everyone knows that a seventeen year old girl would never be allowed to go to a ball with an unrelated male without her mother or chaperone in tow. Obviously this is a plot device but unrealistic. The main character is annoyingly impulsive but perhaps that is true of some 17 year old girls. Buy it at your risk! A disappointment.
on 26 February 2009
Unlike most young ladies from titled families in Regency England, seventeen-year-old Lady Alexandra Stafford, daughter of the Duke of Worthington, is not looking forward to her debut in London Society. Neither are Alex's two friends, Ella and Vivi. Alex dreads the thought of marriage, as she is an independent thinker and feels most men just want a pretty wife with no thoughts of her own.

Gavin Sewell, their neighbor, is a close friend of Alex's three older brothers and Alex's childhood protector. Gavin's father, the Earl of Blackmoor, recently died under mysterious circumstances, and now Gavin has inherited his title. Gavin has many doubts that his father's death was truly an accident, especially after his home is robbed. Alex has her suspicions too, and wants to help Gavin. But in the process, despite her opposition to marriage, Alex finds herself losing her heart and falling for Gavin, but she is unsure what his feelings for her are.

Even though I am a few years older then the target audience, I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me a lot of the historical romances I enjoyed as a teenager, such as the Sunfire and Avon True Romance series. I'd highly recommend this book to teen girls who enjoy historical romances, as well as older readers who still enjoy young adult fiction. It's a light, enjoyable read with a good blend of romance, history, and mystery.
on 13 September 2014
This is a fun and very witty story full of humour and lots of romance. It is a clean romance but still holds so much passion and tension between the characters. It is a story of a young girl as first season and how she copes with the pitfalls of it along with her friends and family.

The girl is Alexandra (Alex) who is seventeen, she is a strong willed, caring and witty character who I'd immediately liked by the reader. The secondary characters are also very likeable and have interesting back stories. All of the relationships to Alex are believable and nurturing.

I will not give anything else away about the story, however that it has a few twists and plenty of events and scenes to keep the reader engaged and entertained.
on 15 August 2010
review
"The Season" is a very entertaning historical romance that made me happy and is not only perfect for teens/twens.

Seventeen year old Lady Alexandra, Alex for her friends, couldn't be less interested in her first season in London society. And she's not the only one. Her two best friends Ella and Vivi are also not excited about being paraded in front of eligible men. The three young women are more interested in politics and books than in pretty dresses.
Alex can't imagine choosing one of the men she meets for marriage. However when she meets Gavin, the earl of Blackmoor, again she is definitely interested in him. For years she thought of him as her fourth brother but time has changed their relationship and Alex realizes that her first season could be way more interesting than she thought.
When the three girls realize that some mysterious things are going on they start to investigate on their own. Will they solve the mystery and will Alex and Gavin get a HEA?

"The Season" is the second book by Sarah MacLean that I read and it's another winner. I enjoy her way of telling a story and how she captures my interest in the characters and what is happening to them.
Alex is a great heroine. She's an intelligent young woman who on the one hand knows that she is lucky to be rich and titled but on the other hand she wishes for more freedom. She's very opinionated and not shy about stating her mind. I loved reading about her and her two friends Ella and Vivi. Their friendship added a lot to the story.
I also enjoyed how Alex and Gavin's relationship developed. Nothing was rushed and both had the chance to become clear about their feelings. Gavin is another great character and I loved that he appreciates that Alex has her own mind. Furthermore I enjoyed reading about Alex's brothers and her parents.
The mystery part of the book was interesting and the mix between suspense and romance felt just right.

cover
The cover is ok, but a bit simple and boring.

final appraisal
"The Season" is a book that I loved to read. The charming story, the awesome characters and the mystery just grabbed my interest. When I finished this book I felt happy and content. And I immediately started to hope for more books based on characters from "The Season".
on 20 June 2015
This book was awful! I have really enjoyed Sarah MacLean's books but this reads like fan fiction written by a 14 year old. The female lead is 17 for gods sake!!! The plot is so transparent that it becomes clear after only a few pages and still the book plods on with teenagers giggling on most pages. I cannot stress how much I hated this book!!!
on 11 September 2010
This is dull, unconvincing and anachronistic. It's written for teenagers and I found it a big let-down after reading 'Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake'. The characters aren't bad, but apart from that you'd think the books were written by two different authors. Don't bother with this one. I'm hoping her next will build on the promise of 'Nine Rules'.
on 17 October 2011
This book was a very pleasant read. Although the writing style or speech wasn't very authentic for the time period, it was easily accessible, making it quite a comfort read. I found the plot to be quite enthralling and even though it didn't 'excite' me as such, it was smooth flowing and I just wanted to keep reading on. The romance between Alex and Gavin was just absolutely wonderful to read. A nice change from my usual reads and very accessible.
on 21 October 2010
After reading and loving Sarah MacLean's adult books, I thought I could give her YA debut a try. I didn't launch myself blindly into this new adventure but a quick look at its Goodreads' reviews though convinced me to read it. The Season is the first YA Historical Romance I've ever read...or better said I love it so much I can't remember any other book I could compare it with. I am very happy I gave this book a chance.

We follow 17 years old Alex, daughter of a duke, on her first Season in London. From the start you can't help but like her and her best friends Ella and Vivi. Those three are witty, funny and charming and they are very different from the usual young ladies. Alex hates dress-fittings, she also doesn't believe in marriage! As a young woman and daughter of a Duke, she is supposed to catch a wealthy titled husband during her first season, when all she wants is to be left alone. She doesn't believe a woman should always be told what to do. I loved that about her, she is independent and she thinks outside the box.

And then, there's Gavin, the handsome new Earl of Blackmoor. He's always been a friend to Alex, he was practically (<===this is the important word) her brother, he's always been welcomed in their house. Gavin's father died a few months ago, and his death is troubling. Gavin doesn't believe it was an accident. There is the mystery of the book, what really happened? Why would someone want to kill his dad? Alex and her friends launch themselves in an adventure to discover the truth. I found the story gripping. The villain was not very hard to find but it was still interesting to see it all play out until the big revelation.

I really liked the friendship turning into love aspect of the book. Alex is young and she's never been in love. She doesn't even believe in 'the One'. They slowly realize that they want more than being friends. I found the ending cute, Alex doesn't change radically and she has the last word! This book is also filled with interesting secondary characters, Alex's 3 brothers, Vivi and Ella, the young lords...I found them all hilarious and I really hope we'll see them again. If I remember right, Sarah MacLean will write Vivi and Ella's story! I really can't wait.

The Season is a very cute and funny book. It's a fresh new twist on Historical Romances. The characters could be our contemporaries in their way of thinking and behavior but I think this makes it more appealing to young readers. The only thing is that I never forgot it was a YA book, it has a YA feel to it. It's not a bad thing though, I'm just not used to it ;) I can't wait for The Season to be translated in French so I can buy it for my young cousins. This is one of those books that will leave you with a smile on your face.

I give The Season 5 Bookies.