Customer reviews

I regularly use the nikwax base fresh cleaner so when it came time to wash one of my technical jackets and a hoody with water repellent qualities I thought I'd give this a go.

In prep I used the hotpoint machine cleaner/descaler and machine clean cycle on my washer so it was as clean as reasonably possible. I then proceeded to wash the jacket and hoodie twice. First the wash then the wash in water proofer. Whilst they dried outside I reran the cleaning cycle.

I will say it was a lot of washing for just two items but it really was worth it. Both items are lovely and clean and the waterproof function has been reinvigorated on both. And as a result of the prep my machine is lovely and clean.

On a slightly seperate note anyone struggling with smelly sports tops, or in my case work tops, that use the fast wicking stuff then the nikwax basefresh product is really good.
on 22 June 2016
I took the option of hand washing rather than machine application. It's very straightforward, just follow the instructions.

The cleaner cleans and the reproofer has done it's magic (should be noted that it is only waterproof after it has fully dried on to the garment), so overall pretty happy.

The reproofer is based an a chemical called EVA which is why it looks and smells like watered-down PVA glue. The smell goes after a day or so.
on 11 June 2017
Easy to use, just fire it in dispenser drawer of washing machine and very happy with the results. My son comes home from school with his jacket filthy, having dragged it along the ground, through puddles etc and these products keep it looking like new whilst replacing the waterproofing and breathability, in a two step process. You don't need to remove clothing from the machine after the cleaning cycle, you just go straight to waterproofing cycle, so it's a complete doddle! Highly recommended.
on 6 June 2017
Coats are back to looking and smelling like new, even my Husband's rubbish outdoor coat is now water proof. Easy to use and economical. Highly recommend. Washed 2 Crag hoppers, 1 mountain warehouse and 2 Regatta coats.
on 27 October 2014
Used Nikwax beforehand so knew what to expect.
Good product for water repellent your clothes either by hand or in the washing machine, but do read the instructions before or any dregs of detergent from previous laundry will have an adverse effect on the product.
This size of bottle will do a number of clothes, I did several rain jacket and trousers (pants) but don't underestimate how much liquid you will need if doing the complete adventure kit.
The size here is probably ideal for someone wanting to try the product on a few items before deciding yay or nay, without buying too much or too little.
on 4 December 2015
Cheapest I've seen it anywhere. This stuff is well expensive usually. Especially as it's 10 washes only! Definitely need it though. Totally renewed my snowboarding gear. My mates just washed theirs normally with extra fabric softener but you can tell the waterproofing is no longer there. I was spilling beer all over my jacket last year (obviously as a test of the waterproofing and nothing to do with the effects of the beer) and it was beading off! Spot on.
on 8 January 2017
I use this stuff all the time for technical gear and any synthetic fabrics I really want to take care of. TxDirect water proofing works well but doesn't of course last forever, hence the need to repeat application. Important to clean detergent dispenser well so that normal detergent doesn't mix with this stuff. Highly recommended.
on 25 January 2016
I followed the instructions exactly for washing and improving the water resistance of my North Face jacket. In fact, I carried out two washes and two treatments. result, in my view, rubbish. No improvement what so ever. I .have contacted North Face and arranged for them to re proof the jacket for me.
on 1 April 2016
Not nearly as good as I's hoped. I bought spray on and TX direct was-in, so you would think that my Gortex coat would be waterproof, but it isn't.
Also my expensive Osprey Sojourn 80 is recommended to have Nikwax spray, but that didn't keep it waterproof either.

I have treated walking trousers, hats, etc... but all failed the UK rain repellent test.
on 23 August 2017
Not the cheapest, or the longest-lasting, but this classic Nikwax combo is easy to use and works brilliantly. Just be sure to run the washing machine without any detergent for a cycle before using the tech wash, prior to proofing- it all works much better then.