on 7 May 2018
In his first outing as director Michael Cain produces a gritty movie about life on an estate in London.
As an ex marine Harry Brown struggles toncome to terms with the gang culture on his estate. Following a tradegy hecan no longer sit back a watch ...
on 17 December 2013
This film is brilliant. Michael Caine is amazing and completely takes you into Harry Brown's life. The whole film Is filled with a horrific, gritty portrayal of life on a down and out estate where violence is almost normality. The acting of all of the individuals in the film is perfection, which really shocks you, but at the same time you are cheering Harry on, while he exacts justice. If you want a fabulous thought provoking film buy this.
on 13 April 2016
Downbeat but excellent performance by Michael Caine. A film that unfortunately portrays what life can be like in some inner city neighbourhoods; with all their sad, vicious, elements: and how one pensioner with a past decides that if no-one else in authority can, or will, do anything about it, then he certainly will.
on 22 July 2015
Michael Caine at his quiet and dangerous best. When America makes this type of movie the hero is an ex seal or CIA killer and he can get shot and still take all the bad guys out. Harry Brown can't. Jackie Chan can jump 15 feet in the air beating up four guys on the way up, five on the way down and land on the bad ass boss. Harry Brown can't.
on 25 July 2013
This is a great film, but that's no surprise starring Michael Caine. Saw it when it first came out and was immediately told everyone they should watch it. I would like to think it isn't that true to life, but I have a horrible feeling that is not the case!! Very good, watch over and over and not get bored. Even my daughter liked it, and she usually scoffs at my choice of film (not Dirty Dancing ha ha).
on 27 October 2017
Excellent story of forced vigilantism. Cain has good part played well. Story could raise much sympathy in inner city estates.
on 17 August 2010
We had read reviews of this film and it sounded the sort we have enjoyed in the past. It did not disappoint. It was, of course, not suitable for kids up to teenagers due to the violent content. Perhaps because I am an old wrinklie I was able to relate to the main characters who were about the same age as me. This made me sympathetic to their predicament and Harry Brown's reluctant (at first) retribution (says a lot about me!). The initial inability of the police to deal with the problem is typical of today. The liberals say we must deal kindly to the poor young hoods in the estates. Yes, there are many ways to change the conditions which lead young gang members into the sort of life they grow into. These conditions must be changed but, at the end of the day, lawlessness and antisocial behaviour cannot be excused and must be punished. If we do not have sufficient prisons, then produce more, stop locking up old folk who try to defend themselves and concentrate on the perpetrators.
These are some of the topics dealt with in this excellent film. Strongly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 25 April 2010
I have seen Clint Eastwood's "Grand Torino", and "Harry Brown" has similiarities. I have always liked the style of Michael Cain as a true Brit. So my expectations vere high. I was not disappointed. Hans Christian Andersen used to say,"There should be logic in the small world [micro universe]of the fairy tale". And the figure Michael Cain plays lives up to that. The plot seems to be credible and realistic. One can identify with his feelings as he watches the decay of his surroundings, the near community, and the violent death of his only friend. An old man like himself. It also seems credible that he has not forgotten the training he received as a Royal Marine and what he experienced in Northern Ireland. As a grandfather myself I sit back after the film with a feeling: Thank God that there are still men like this. With vision to see, hope to believe and courage to do. After all, you watch films to be inspired by "noble men" who dare act. Men you can identify with and respect. And dream that you yourself could be a hero if the circumstances were right. Even if your are a rather old boy of 63.

Erik Meldgaard. Denmark
on 11 May 2017
fantastic film very dark but also gripping would recommend
One person found this helpful
on 30 April 2014
I only got time to watch part of this before the very small rental window ran out, but I am buying a DVD because I was drawn into the story by the excellence of the actors and the realism . Looking forward to getting the DVD so I can continue to watch at my own pace. Don't think I'll bother downloading a rental in future.