Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 18 July 2011
This dvd is both informative and moving. I bought this dvd as part of a research project and found it one of the most helpful tools i could have. Stephen Fry is very honest, and gives a very personal insight into his struggles with the condition and in the 2-parts of the dvd, focus' first on the impact and then on treatments. The use of other peoples personal stories is very effective and moving and present a mixture of more positive and negative attitudes towards the condition. I would highly recommend this to anyone as it's informative, reliable, personal and in some parts very emotive. The dvd covers a large area incudling early diagnosis in children, the impact of having a bipolar parent and living with the condition. overall Very good.
on 12 January 2013
I was first introduced to this DVD by my ex-girlfriend, who wanted me to learn more about her condition, known more commonly as bipolar disorder. We can't see inside the minds of the people we care about and we cannot know their thinking. To even try to understand requires more than reading a couple of pages on the internet, written by whoever!

This two-part documentary (both including on the single disc) allows the rest of us an insight, through personal interviews with people (admittedly, celebrities) diagnosed as having some form of bipolar disorder. You see, not everyone is the same, even if their illness or 'label' may appear identical to the next. This film will help to illustrate that.

There's a scene in the first episode that has always stayed in my mind. If you've not suffered from any form of depression yourself then, it can be hard to understand just how serious the thoughts of suicide and 'not wanting to live' really are in the mind of a manic depressive. I won't spoilt it for you but, there is this one scene that I believe PROVES that these thoughts are far more than a cry for help or attention. It is shocking but, sometimes, that is what's required.

There's a lot of discussion about other side of the spectrum, with episodes and risks associated with a state of mania and how these individuals have found ways to cope over the years (including Stephen Fry, who admittedly suffers from a 'more mild' form of cyclothimia). Fry also goes on his own journey to discover more about his own condition and options available to someone like him and others.

I now own this DVD for myself and do wish that Mr.Fry and the BBC would again collaborate to produce more, perhaps covering the wider spectrum of mental illness, in an effort to fight off the persistent stigma amongst society. This was filmed a few years ago but, that's no reason to discredit it. I was suppose it might have been beneficial to some to see someone not coping as well as the guests interviewed here but then, where do draw the line between offering insight and personal exposure?
on 6 December 2010
This provides a good understanding of that which is Bipolar Disorder. Stephen Fry offers an empathetic illustration of what it is like to live with this disorder, understandable to those who struggle with it, are carers or those who have little understanding of it. An easy watch.
on 21 March 2010
I used this DVD to illustrate to medical students the experience of Bipolar disorder . It is a great teaching resource and not something they can learn from a book on psychiatry!
on 4 January 2013
Stephen Fry is a SAINT, this DVD Is a HONEST take on Bi-Polar Disorder. IT CAN AFFECT ALL SORTS OF PEOPLE, FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE. My Bi-Polar AFFECTS me about 4 to 7 times almost every year. And YES I NORMALLY ALWAYS END UP IN A HOSPITAL. I will tell you this, for all the hurt and upset. The EXTREME MASSIVE HIGH'S, Are TOTALLY OUT OF THIS WORLD..
on 2 October 2012
This was a very interesting an informative DVD about depression by someone who has seen the roughest side of this horrible illness. He talks openly about it and with professionals who see it everyday. I had to admire him for doing this dvd. More light needs to shed on this illness as it is still not given the care and consideration that other illnesses get. If depression was any other illness sympathy and help and conversation about it would be more acceptable but for some unknown reason it is often spoken about in whispers and people can be ashamed although there is no reason at all for it to be like that.Stephen sheds light and gives it a visibility that was badly needed. Now if only more people in the public eye could do that it would really help those who suffer from it. It was very brave and honest of him.
on 20 August 2013
I first caught part of this documentary on TV, back in 2005. I was struck by how touching and how candid all of the stories of those involved in it's making were. It also helped me to understand and recognise several elements of my own life and behaviour which were a cause for concern. Life moved on, and I largely forgot about going back and watching the whole thing, until a recent episode brought it back into my attention. I'm glad I did finally go back and rewatch it as it is even better than I remember.

Given it's a few years old now, and both the research, treatments, and Stephen Fry himself have evolved over that time, I do wish he would make a follow-up. That said, this one is still very much worth watching!
on 27 November 2010
Thoughtful, funny and gives stigma towards mental health problems a massive kick in the pants. I work in mental health and having watched this many times, am still moved by it. Have used it to teach others about the experience of bipolar disorder. Thank you Stephen Fry and the producers for the best doco to give insight into mental health issues for many years
on 22 December 2011
I have nothing but praise for this documentary about the complex and difficult disease that is Bi-Polar Disorder or Manic Depression.

Stephen Fry himself suffers from Manic Depression and so he sets off in this documentary to meet people with the condition as well as Doctor's and Psychiatrist's.

The programme is very honest about the subject and its really encouraging to hear people with this condition speak so openly about their own experiences even if they happen to be well known in the cases when Stephen speaks to Carrie Fisher and Richard Dreyfuss about their battles with it.

I'd encourage everybody to watch this documentary as if you suffer from depression or another mental illness it lets you know your not alone and if you don't suffer you can appreciate what others maybe going through.
on 6 October 2014
Purchased this for another member of the family who enjoyed it. However I thought that all the bi polar sufferers interviewed by Stephen Fry were all financially well heeled so to speak, and we're able to receive good support. It needs a more in depth research to show how the many sufferers who are not so fortunate have to get by on a day by day basis within a National Health Service which is woefully lacking when it comes to mental health illnesses. For example, in my home town there are approx 20 GPs, but only one psychiatrist! So therefore those without their own funds and resources have to make do!