TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 September 2017
Intelligent, informative and extremely helpful to anyone wishing to understand bipolar. It makes sense of an illness which can be both joyous and terrifying, beautiful and devastating. As someone with bipolar, I found the question of whether or not you'd press the button that would take away the illness to be particularly thought provoking. I cope with the demons because I can talk to god. I wouldn't press the button. I think this programme helped my mum to understand what makes me think and behave the way I do, and it's a much needed thing, to help people understand bipolar.
on 8 July 2011
Loved the video and think if someone was to finally start explaining this illness then Stephen Fry is absolutely the best choice and I hope he does a follow up DVD. I have been living with Manic Depression all my life and since being put on meds 15 years ago I have decided (thanks to this video) to slowly wean myself off them (with a doctors guidance) and learn to live with it naturally. Learned some tips from this video - one example is taking Omega 3 which I knew was good for the brain but I just never thought of using it for my illness. Stupidity is not related to being bi-polar, it is just my problem (which maybe omega 3 might cure (groan)).

My only problem with the video is that aside from Lithium (which I tried once but it made me more suicidal) there is a lack of information about other choices, and there are many. The video does mention that there are other treatments but not enough about what those are. The combination of anti-depressants and mood stabilizers to mention just one, is a common treatment these days but I'd love to have learned the name of these drugs such as Prozac (anti-depressant) and valporic acid (a mood stabilizer) amongst others.

I am glad I purchased the video and believe that it is a must see for anyone suffering with, related to or friends with sufferers of this illness. For those who do not have the illness but have dealings with someone who does it helps to explain the bizarre behaviour we exhibit and only have minimal control over.

Businesses also, could learn a lot about why not only employees but customers might be annoying or difficult to deal with at times. Someone who is in the throes of mania might be excited, loud, complaining, or ordering much more than normal, amongst other things. This person may be embarrassed later and never order from you again. You might not understand and blame yourself or an employee or spend hours looking for where you went wrong and how you lost the customer never realizing that it is not that you or your firm did something wrong but the illness caused the loss of the customer.

My wanting to expose others to knowledge about Manic Depression is also selfish insofar as I hope that if more people understand this illness there might finally be more research on better treatments than those available now.

Again, I believe this is a must see for anyone having any association with this disease.
7 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2012
This was a very interesting an informative DVD about depression by someone who has seen the roughest side of this horrible illness. He talks openly about it and with professionals who see it everyday. I had to admire him for doing this dvd. More light needs to shed on this illness as it is still not given the care and consideration that other illnesses get. If depression was any other illness sympathy and help and conversation about it would be more acceptable but for some unknown reason it is often spoken about in whispers and people can be ashamed although there is no reason at all for it to be like that.Stephen sheds light and gives it a visibility that was badly needed. Now if only more people in the public eye could do that it would really help those who suffer from it. It was very brave and honest of him.
on 20 August 2013
I first caught part of this documentary on TV, back in 2005. I was struck by how touching and how candid all of the stories of those involved in it's making were. It also helped me to understand and recognise several elements of my own life and behaviour which were a cause for concern. Life moved on, and I largely forgot about going back and watching the whole thing, until a recent episode brought it back into my attention. I'm glad I did finally go back and rewatch it as it is even better than I remember.

Given it's a few years old now, and both the research, treatments, and Stephen Fry himself have evolved over that time, I do wish he would make a follow-up. That said, this one is still very much worth watching!
on 30 September 2015
A great program that gives great insight into this illness and the people it affects and has affected. Sadly this dvd version has had quite a lot of the original program cut out. For example when Andy behrman is explaining the path leading to his electro shock therapy he explains becoming an art dealer and being arrested for fraud and imprisoned. This part of the interview had been removed which then leaves the viewer with no insight into how far his mania pushed him and why he chose to take part in such a drastic treatment. So although this documentary is amazing I would suggest downloading the original full version.
on 6 October 2014
Purchased this for another member of the family who enjoyed it. However I thought that all the bi polar sufferers interviewed by Stephen Fry were all financially well heeled so to speak, and we're able to receive good support. It needs a more in depth research to show how the many sufferers who are not so fortunate have to get by on a day by day basis within a National Health Service which is woefully lacking when it comes to mental health illnesses. For example, in my home town there are approx 20 GPs, but only one psychiatrist! So therefore those without their own funds and resources have to make do!
on 1 April 2018
Great book! It arrived on time, the price was fair and the content was really interesting!
on 6 April 2014
Classic Series on Bi-Polar Disorder (previously know as Manic Depression.)

Stephen Fry has an unimitable style and the series is interesting and engaging, as well as very useful.

Very good value for such a long series.
on 28 February 2018
Interesting and informative.
on 18 July 2011
This dvd is both informative and moving. I bought this dvd as part of a research project and found it one of the most helpful tools i could have. Stephen Fry is very honest, and gives a very personal insight into his struggles with the condition and in the 2-parts of the dvd, focus' first on the impact and then on treatments. The use of other peoples personal stories is very effective and moving and present a mixture of more positive and negative attitudes towards the condition. I would highly recommend this to anyone as it's informative, reliable, personal and in some parts very emotive. The dvd covers a large area incudling early diagnosis in children, the impact of having a bipolar parent and living with the condition. overall Very good.
2 people found this helpful