Format: DVD|Change

on 10 December 2009
Watched this film on a plane without any prior knowledge of its existence, and what a huge treat it was. Intelligently constructed by Davis Guggenheim - and frankly a great concept too - the three guitarists are very well chosen. We landed 20mins before the end of the show - hence my searching for the DVD - and I can only say that I was v distraught to be torn away from it. Great archive footage, great contemporary footage, genuine insights, contrasts, humour and needless to say, some not-half-bad music as well... HIGHLY recommend.
on 8 December 2009
What a nice little documentary. Some very interesting nuggets and a look into the workings of the creation of individual guitarists 'voices'. The balance between the three ages of experience is a good dynamic for the discussion/jam session too. I don't play anything myself but it was all very understandbale to the lay-person and I'll definatley be buying for some of my mates who do play.
on 10 May 2011
First of all, congratulations to the film-makers for putting together such an interesting package. I would never have imagined that bringing Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White together would work, but it does. In this film, Page's guitar playing sticks mainly to the riffs that made his name. The Edge shows how he uses electronics to enhance his sound, essentially playing very simply, but enhancing everything with a huge box of tricks. I'm not sure if I like it, but it is a different approach to the other two. The person who fascinated me was Jack White. He talks about how he picks up old guitars in junk shops and finds a way of producing a unique sound from them. It's not the easiest way to go about guitar playing, but coupled with his very committed approach it works extremely well. The only other guitarist I have seen do the same thing is Elvis Costello. Of course, White is the only one of the three who is also a lead singer, and so inevitably this has an influence on his playing, although this is not touched on in the film.

However, truth be told I was a little disappointed with the film overall. To break it down to its bare bones, in essence the film is in two parts: one which goes back in time with each of the guitarists to look at how/why they started and do what they do; and the second part in which the three of them are together discussing guitar playing and jamming together. The look-back into the past was all very well, but for me there was just too much of it, and after a while I just got bored. On the other hand, the part when they were together was great, but there simply wasn't enough of it. I can only imagine that a huge part of this session was left on the cutting room floor when it should have formed the meat and potatoes of the film. A lost opportunity.

Having said that, the idea was great, and I'd love to see an 'It Might Get Loud 2', this time perhaps with Jeff Beck and a couple of other unexpected guests.
on 21 January 2010
This documentary is as much about the guitar itself, as the guitarists and their love of it. Jimmy Page says that the guitar should be treated "like a woman" but if it were one Jack White would have been locked up years ago based on the evidence of blood stains and good kickings! Given the differences in approach, this might have been a bit more spiky than it turns out. For example, The Edge refers in his section to "over indulgent 16 minute guitar solos" which might have been aimed at Zeppelin; meanwhile Jack White bemoans the use of technology in the creative process yet The Edge is famous for his pedals and effects. The programme is only ever going to apeal to guitar fans and guitar players but among the highlights are Jimmy playing the riff to 'Whole Lotta Love' (watch the other two trying not to grin) and all three playing 'In My Time Of Dying' on slide guitars - I defy you not to drum along Bonzo-style.

Stylistically, the visuals largely match the rough and ready vibe, partly due to their vintage nature (60's and 70's footage of Led Zeppelin) but also the scenes shot in their homes have a grainy, candid feel. This is entirely in keeping with the purpose of the documentary, but does render the high definition format of Blu-ray largely un-necessary. The scenes featuring all three guitarists together have full clarity but they are infrequent among each individual's own story. Neither is any use made of Blu-ray's multi-media potential: the only 'bonus feature' is a set of deleted scenes. The soundtrack is DTS-HD Master Audio but that is the only feature over and above the DVD.

I bought the BD as it was only a few pounds more than the DVD, without having seen it at the cinema. If I had, I would have stuck to the DVD.
77 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2010
You can read the title. You know who is in it. So it should be no surprise what you're going to get.
It's not intended to be a super detailed history of the 3 guys, any such film would be 5 hours long, but it is intended to bring three great guitarists together, who have all dedicated their life to an instrument that has moved in and out of fashion and who have all ended up going in totally different directions. But they still share a love for the instrument and now have a chance to explain what it means to them.
I'm guitar player, so I loved it.
Just to see the look on Jack White's and The Edge's faces as Jimmy Page breaks into Whole Lotta Love in front of them makes the film alone priceless and worth it.
on 12 January 2010
I saw this film late on a snowy Friday night and being a big fan of Led Zeppelin, of U2- until the last 3 studio albums and definitely not Zooropa- and intrigued by Mr White I hoped it'd be great. And it was, I could have sat there listening to them talk for another hour or more.

The film is presented and styled really well giving personal histories of how they became the musicians they are, why and how they feel about it, also how they define creativity and what has inspired them. Great use of live band footage too. The meeting itself involves the 3 of them talking about and demonstrating some of their creations and jamming together. I'm not a musician and I was fascinated. My partner is a guitarist and singer and he was too (and he's not a particular fan of any of them). 3 such different men from 3 different generations. See it on a big screen- it's worth it.
on 8 April 2015
A great doc. Only the bits where the Edge takes centre stage are worth skipping over, as his limited technique and reliance on technology to dress his playing up is a little embarressing when he is on a stage next to Jimmy Page. Worth watching just for the look on White and Edge's faces when Jimmy breaks into the Whole Lotta Love riff!
on 22 August 2013
I sort of found this item for sale, whilst looking for something else. On the whole I did enjoy this DVD as it offered a historical insight into three musicians. The DVD shows the rise of each individual musician, and their associated musical acts through archive material, but I have to admit that whilst The Edge and Jimmy page were very familiar to me, in respect to Jack White, I had only heard of in name and not music. If you are a fan of guitar players or any of the named musicians, this will definitely appeal. From my point of view, I've watched the DVD twice and now confined it to storage. The studio footage, I think is supposed to come across as spontaneous, but its far from it, and the direction isn't nothing to rave about.
on 4 January 2016
After struggling to find this DVD in store, and seeing a couple of clips on YouTube of this DVD we finally found it for a good price on Amazon. It is an interesting DVD and well worth the money! Spent a while trying to figure out who 'Age 9' was. 10/10
on 2 February 2013
As a Jimmy Page fan for well over 40 years, I thought it was time to take the plunge and get this. I'll be honest here - I've never been a fan of The White Stripes, and don't really like a lot of U2's output either, so I'd been put off getting this. How wrong I was!!! I hadn't realised just how technically brilliant The Edge is. Same goes for Jack White, especially when he plays the blues. Both are erudite and passionate about music and the guitar, and also very funny guys. Obviously, for me Page was the main interest and I wasn't let down in any way. There are fascinating solo pieces of all 3 talking about their backgrounds, great group chats, and some amazing archive footage of Page as a fresh-faced schoolboy being interviewed on black and white TV!

Stand out moment for me? Jimmy starts to play "In My Time Of Dying" on slide guitar, and The Edge and Jack join in - just outstanding!

Brilliant piece of film making about 3 generations of guitarists. I genually wanted it to go on and on for hours.