Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 June 2010
Zimmer has written some great stuff over the years (Gladiator, Prince of Egypt) as well taking on less memorable assignments. Scoring this new Holmes he surely has excelled himself, creating action out of striking anachronistic inspiration. The main theme is a deliberate relation of the old 'Oranges and Lemons' tune (explicitly quoted at points) while the honky tonk instrumentation and oomph-pa moments in his score add to the atmosphere. Elsewhere Zimmer includes deep cellos as well as a second, more winding theme, which racks up the emotional tension.

This listener was reminded by turn of Barry's Ipcress File, Steptoe and Son and even, during odd slow moments, Cheyenne's Theme from One Upon a Time in The West. But Zimmer brings a drama and urgency all of his own to the musical show. The result is compulsive and memorable listening with no real weak tracks.

This is one of the films where, on further viewings, one waits over for the music and image to slip together satisfyingly, at times complimenting each other like a hand in glove - a sure sign that, for once, things are done well. The liberating moment of Holmes' and Watson's first trip down the Thames for instance, or the climactic scurrying from Commons to Tower Bridge, right down to the dark, jubilant start of the end credits. The album recalls all those moments and can recommended thoroughly.
on 1 February 2010
Loved the film so much saw it twice, and obviously wanted the soundtrack as a fond reminder- however, my whole reasoning for buying this CD was for the lovely Irish music delicately woven into the film - upon receipt of the CD, the Irish music was noted for its' absence! VERY disappointed.
on 25 January 2013
I wasn't that impressed with these Sherlock Holmes films and prefer the BBC adaptations starring Benedict Cumberbatch. However, one of the things I did like about the films was the music and I guessed it was Hans Zimmer before I went on google when I got home. For me I think he is one of the best composers of our generation, and it is through falling in love with the soundtracks to Hannibal and Gladiator that I started gaining a more general interest in classical music. His music is very distinctive and I would definitely recommend it. It's very jaunty at times, powerful throughout, and sinister in others. Sadly I do not have the musical knowledge to sit here and discuss pitch and crescendo or whatever. All I can say is that I really enjoyed it, and think it would make a great addition to anyone's music collection.
on 28 June 2010
I liked this CD a lot. Hans Zimmer is always a safe bet and I always find his music evocative of the film, at times so much so that I can picture the action on screen at the time. It's the same here- certain tracks so obviously belong to certain scenes in the film. There are even moments of Holmes-esque 'violin murdering'.

The one draw back for me personally is that I generally only listen to music when I'm driving and there are several very quiet moments that I couldn't hear over the engine noise. Still, that should only worry others who drive loud cars (I have a Land Rover). For quiet cars, or sitting at home, this is a great listen.
on 19 December 2013
Hans Zimmer is a master of his field. His score of Sherlock Holmes merely reinforces this point beyond debate.

I think it is the pace of this soundtrack which instantly grabs my attention. It is woven together by a true maestro and the fusion of traditional gypsy-style melodies, Irish reel undertones and a wonderfully harmonious discordant piano is the work of a true master and as a result is one of the finest soundtracks of the past decade.

The diverse range of instruments which blend together seamlessly for Zimmer's score of Sherlock Holmes, is an impressive feat. The tracks go from being quite fast paced and exciting, to being dark and ominous. The true triumph of the CD would have to be near 20 minute long Track 11: 'Psychological Recovery... 6 Months'. It is an enthralling piece which explores all of the CD's main themes as well as introducing new and exciting ones with a wonderfully epic crescendo that will make any listening experience, a memorable one.

A true masterpiece from a true Master.
on 2 January 2010
A highly original and inventive soundtrack. The music really stands out in the film while perfectly matching Ritchie's reinvention of Holmes at the same time. Highly recommended
on 25 March 2013
it matched the racy action of the film perfectly but still stands alone in the music genre in its own right.
on 10 March 2014
As usual Hans Zimm has raised the already high bar in regards to his music making ability. However there is a small problem that has annoyed me and that is the track used in the film that is performed by the Dubliners. Otherwise this is a flawless soundtrack so alas only 4 #
on 4 May 2013
Arrived fast and in perfect condition. If you are fan of the film you will love this. Don't worry about the track lengths at the start, (they seemed so short) the final few make up in spades. Love it.
on 6 January 2010
A very good soundtrack for what I thought was a very good film. Normally I would leave the cinema directly as the film finishes but this soundtrack was so good I sat through all the end credits just to listen to the music. Well worth a listen.