Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 29 December 2010
I am a huge fan of the Toy Story series, I own all three and even have Woody, Buzz Slinky Dog and Bullseye dolls despite being 16 years old. After the third and final film of the series was released in the cinema, I organised a big group of my friends to accompany me to see it. The ages ranged from 3 to 52, and every single one of us loved it.

The film deals with a lot of deep issues and is definitely the darkest of all the series, but in my opinion it is the best. The graphics are utterly stunning, and if you were to compare the first Toy Story with Toy Story 3, you will see how far computer animation has come in the past 16 years. The story line has you glued to the cinema screen from the beginning, and never ceases to lose you throughout the 90 minutes.

Toy Story 3 brings back all the main characters from the first two films; Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, Mr & Mrs Potato Head, Hamm, Slinkly Dog and my personal favourite, Rex. It also introduces new characters, such as Losto the Hugging Bear (Who smells of strawberries!) and Ken, whom is the funniest of all the characters.

In my opinion, this movie is the perfect film. As it appeals to any age group, makes you laugh and even if you have watched it a 100 times it still feels like its your first.

If you don't already own it, what are you waiting for? Click ADD TO BASKET now! (and don't forget to include Toy Story/Toy Story 2 [DVD].)
If we are considering the medium at first, which is of course a Blu-Ray for this product, then you absolutely won't be disappointed. Toy Story 3 is by far and away one of the best High Def films I've watched to date and undoubtedly the most beautiful looking of the Toy Story saga. This is likely to be expected since it is a modern production, but we should also consider that the original Toy Story (1995), whilst looking sharper than ever in High Def, also reveals the older technology that produced the film. Toy Story 3, however, almost looks good enough to touch.

One of the greater aspects visually is the use of colour, and its of course amazing to see how far Pixar have come in just 15 years. Every environment has its own specific colour timing; the grass and tree leaves pierce out of the TV, but most astonishing is the scene at the Waste Depot, where the small shards of metal seem to roll on endlessly as if each one was designed and rendered separately. Along with Disney's release of 'Fantasia' earlier this month, these two films would be the only demonstrations I would personally need for Blu-Ray technology. And thats without describing the lossless soundtrack that, as with every Pixar Blu-Ray, just fills the room with a wonderful dynamic range. During the 'Freak Out' scene where Ken models his clothing, the kick-drum sounded as if it was being hit in front of me.

I'm holding back from talking too much about the film itself, given it has been talked of so much already. All I will say on this matter is that it does indeed take a different direction to the previous two films, but does so in such a way that is more bold. Toy Story 3 features more moral values and heart than its former films, and thats what won me over as it being the best of the trio. From a technical stand point, it is an entirely clever film from start to finish and manages to touch the hearts of viewers from all ages. The ending alone forced me to hold back the tears through gritted teeth!

So, whats all this "Triple Play" and "Double Play" business? Its merely a confusing effort from Disney to encourage buyers to go for the Blu-Ray format. The "Double Play" edition of Toy Story 3 features 3 Discs;

- 1 Blu-Ray [Feature Film]
- 1 Blu-Ray [Bonus Content]
- 1 DVD [Feature Film]

Therefore, the product exists so you can watch the film in either Blu-Ray or DVD. If you've moved over to Blu-Ray, then the DVD is very handy for lending to friends or for back-up!

This product is "Triple Play", which means that you not only get the 3 discs mentioned previously, but you get a forth disc that has a "Digital Copy" of the film. This 'Digital Copy' is neither a DVD nor a Blu-Ray; it is designed to be placed into your PC/Mac and imported into iTunes, where after the film has been copied from the disc, can be played from your computers hard drive, or best of all (if you actually watch films on-the-go), on iPods, iPads, iPhones, any iDevice or mobile device that supports a media player.

The 'Digital Copy' is somewhat negotiable. For an extra two pounds and the fancier cover, I'm sure many will be tempted by this 'Triple Play' product because its the top of the line, but please think again. Will the 'Digital Copy' really come in handy for you? Because after all, every computer has a DVD drive, so for the sake of watching this film on a mobile device, the extra two quid can be argued.

My personal opinion? Both PC's and Mac have software readily available that enables one to copy a film directly from a DVD to a computer. And its free... So i'm arguing that the 'Digital Copy' is somewhat a waste of a disc.

In short, this has to be not just one of the films of the year, but also one of the Blu-Rays. The extra features are plentiful, the presentation is beautiful, and I couldn't be happier with the way the Toy Story saga has been wrapped up. Top marks to Pixar for continuing to make such wonderfully original films, but shame on Disney for taking most of the credit for these efforts when, quite frankly, their own films these days don't stand up anywhere near as tall.
55 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2010
Wow! I can honestly say that I have never come across a trilogy of films before where each installation improves on previous films. This is such an incredible film, of fantastic animation, and humour for children and adults alike. The story is great and has one of the most emotional endings to a film, especially considering it is a 'children's film'. Definately worth buying for Christmas.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2010
I remember seeing the original Toy Story when I was just 9 years old when life was so much simpler and the adventure of Toy Story provided some welcome entertainment. 15 years later and we now have Toy Story 3; life is a lot more complicated, but Toy Story 3 isn't just casual entertainment, it becomes a welcome escapism reminiscent of a childhood long gone. There was no doubt whatsoever that this film would be a success as the franchise had built up quite a following. Every adults inner child would have been screaming incessantly as soon as it heard the announcement that there would be a third Toy Story. I know I was excited from the moment I saw the teaser for the film and wanted to know more and more every day as to where they would take the story next.

Andy (John Morris) is now 17 years old and preparing to go to college. Almost all Andy's old toys have already been either thrown away in the trash or donated, all the toys that are left are Buzz (Tim Allen), Woody (Tom Hanks), Jessie (Joan Cusack), Bullseye, Slinky Dog (Blake Clark), Mr & Mrs. Potato Head (Don Rickles & Estelle Harris), Hamm (John Ratzenberger), Rex (Wallace Shawn) and the Green Aliens (Jeff Pidgeon). They are worried about what will happen to them when Andy goes to college, will they be thrown in the trash, left in the attic or will Andy take them with him. The third option being the most unlikely. When Andy is packing his stuff, the toys find themselves ending up in Sunnyside day care centre, which seems like heaven to them all. Run by Lotso (Ned Beaty), what seems to be a heaven for toys turns out to be somewhat of a hell for the old gang and they have to find a way back home before Andy goes to college.

I'm a massive fan of the original movies as these are something I've literally grown up with. The bits of adult type humour I didn't really get when I watched the films when I was younger, I enjoy watching again and getting new and more fruitful laughs. Toy Story 2 was shown on TV a few weeks ago and it was a genuine pleasure to watch something I had not watched for a number of years and still managing to be able to enjoy the humour and the message to pass onto the kids about friendship and loyalty. The message was strong then, and it's good to know that the message hasn't been lost in the 11 year gap leading to Toy Story 3, and is actually even stronger. The characters that were left are tied together, stronger than ever by the fact that it's only them left and they do not want to be split up, but in fact if they can't stay with Andy, they want a new home where they will be played with every day.

The animation has seen a significant upgrade in almost every department. Lee Unkrich has commented that when approaching the animation for this movie, the makers have not approached it in the mind that it must look the same as the last two instalments. They animators approached it with the mind of making Toy Story 3 look how they would have wanted the originals to look, had the technology been as advanced as it is now. There's definitely an upgrade in look and feel of the characters and the atmosphere of the whole thing, especially with the human characters as it makes their story a lot more believable, and allows the viewer to invest more emotion into the story.

The characters both new and old are excellent and create some hilarious moments. Possibly the best addition to the Toy Story cast was Barbie's male counterpart, Ken who's as camp and image obsessed as you would possibly imagine him to be. Lotso, the villain of the film was quite the typical villain you would expect. A mob boss of sorts in the setting of the day care centre, he's a toy that was lost and replaced as a youngster who feels bitter and angry towards the humans and the toys that play with them. Although I understood why Lotso was the character he was, I never really understood why he was so hell bent on keeping the toys locked up in the day care centre. Perhaps that was just a negative symptom of me not paying much attention to that part of the story.

Overall, however, the film was truly splendid from start to finish. The characters were both as enjoyable and lovable as I remember them and it contained some truly hearty laughs, my personal favourite was the Spanish Buzz Lightyear trying to win Jessie's heart. I would highly recommend this to anyone still in touch with their inner child, or someone looking to introduce these characters to a new generation as it's promising entertainment for the entire family.
77 Comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2010
Alright, I'm a fully grown male, but I could not stop bawling at the end of this film. Without spoilers, you'll soon see why.
Every time I think Pixar's going to stumble with a film, they somehow produce something absolutely brilliant. If you have any love for the original Toy Story and can put up with Toy Story 2 being slightly weak, things get pulled around perfectly by the third (and final?) film.

A great mix of firmly establishing the original characters, introducing a bunch of interesting new ones (Lotso the bear is awesome, someone give Ned Beatty a hell of a lot more work in future!) and really tightening up the animation (some of the sequences later on in the film are just jaw-dropping when you consider just how much rendering that lot must've taken).

Utterly brilliant and a perfect christmas present
When the original Toy Story came out in 1995, I wanted to see it just because it was the first computer animated movie. But I left the theater in love with all things Pixar. They haven't let me down yet, but I will admit I was a little worried about Toy Story 3 since sequels don't usually hold up. I don't know why I was worried; this is Pixar. The movie is wonderful.

Time has passed for our friends in Andy's room, and Andy (still voiced by John Morris) is getting ready to go to college. Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz (Tim Allen), and the gang that is left haven't been played with in ages. Some of our friends have even left at yard sales over the years.

Andy is trying to figure out what to do with the toys he still has when, through a misunderstanding, they think he has thrown them away. They quickly donate themselves to the Sunnyside Day Care Center. While they are thrilled at the prospect of being played with again, the center has a dark side, too. Will they survive their new home? Will they ever learn that Andy wasn't trying to throw them away?

The movie starts right out with play time that reminds us of the first two movies. I had a smile on my face within minutes. And that smile continued as the movie progressed.

Yes, this is a comedy, and I was laughing pretty hard at some of the scenes. In fact, I would guess that the adults were laughing more than the kids. The scenes between Ken (Michael Keaton) and Barbie (Jodi Benson) were hysterical. Plus there's what happens to Buzz (if you've seen the trailers, you know what I'm talking about). And 10 points to anyone who can catch the Scooby Doo reference.

But I was also caught up in the story. Things got bogged down for a few minutes in the middle, but it wasn't long before I was fully caught up in the story again. The climax wasn't quite as complex as some of Pixar's climaxes-that-will-not-quit have been in the past, it did still provide several unforeseen complications that kept me on the edge of my seat. That is when I wasn't laughing at how they worked something from the very first movie into the climax.

The voice cast was wonderful once again. While Andy is still a minor character, I love the fact that they still used John Morris for his voice. The only actor they changed was Blake Clark who took over for his friend, the late Jim Varney, as Slinky Dog. It was only after the movie was over that I questioned just how much Slinky said, but when he was talking, I never noticed a difference in the actor's voice.

There were times I missed the ensemble characters who were written out of the film. Fortunately, the movie got going quickly and moved at such a steady pace that I didn't have time to mourn their loss for long. Plus we get a lot of great new characters who do help fill things out.

One reason sequels can disappoint is because they will just re-dress the same plot from the first movie. While a few of the plot elements here did feel recycled, I always felt like we were watching something that was a truly new effort. The themes definitely felt recycled, although they did continue to build on them here like they did in the first sequel. Some retreading is bound to happen, but I felt like they did a good job of keeping it to a minimum and instead building on what we have already seen.

What was not recycled was the animation. You can definitely tell a difference between the first and second movie. Well, that's nothing compared to how things look here. The humans look so much better than the first one. There are only a couple of shots that will blow you away (and I didn't watch it in 3D), but it all looked great to me.

Parents might want to know that a couple of scenes get intense and might frighten young kids. The one sitting next to me didn't seem to have any problems, but you can judge your kids best. They also have a very small part with sub-titles. That seems a bit strange to me for a movie aimed at kids, but I can't complain too loudly since I was laughing so hard at those parts.

Which brings us to the ending. I'm not going to give anything away, don't worry. All I want to say is it is very bittersweet. A friend who saw it opening night recommended bring tissue. I wish I had listened to him. This grown man had very wet eyes by the time it was over, but I wouldn't have changed a thing. It was absolutely perfect.

As much as I have loved these characters, I do hope they stop here. We've had a great ride, but this one provides some good closure. I feel like Toy Story 3 brings things full circle. I know I'll be watching it many more times to come.
on 3 December 2010
Watched it last night, excellent, to see the old gang and the new ones, the story has you gripped from the beginning, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, by the end I was blubbing away, a very emotional send off to end the story, it may have took 15 years to do from the end of the 2nd film, but it was well worth the wait. Throughly recommend it, but have those tissues ready your gonna need them. Amazon are amazing, I didn't think it would arrive as quickly as usual, to my workplace because of the snow, 6 inches, but it did! how they did it I don't know.
55 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2016
VIDEO:

This 1080p AVC 1.78:1 transfer is absolutely pristine. The colours are vibrant that simply jump out at you. Resolution is incredibly sharp and detailed. A totally enjoyable and satisfying visual experience. (5/5)

AUDIO:

The DTS-HD 7.1 MA was equally wonderful that simply immersed you into the movies (5/5)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

The ending was heart-warming and will tuck at your heart-string. To hear the Gypsy King doing the Spanish version of You've Got A Friend In Me while Buzz (temporary turned Spanish), and Jessie, doing the tango was a real treat. This is a movie for both young and old. Now that the Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 are all out on blu ray, it will be a great idea to have a Toy Story Day during future holidays, viewing all three in a row. And that reminded me of the Lord Of the Ring days, watching all extended editions in a row. Luckily, Toy Story is much shorter, while we are still waiting for the HD editions of the Extended Cut of The Lord Of the Rings trilogy. Toy Story 3 (blu ray) is highly recommended, and a must-own, like Toy Story 1 and 2 (blu ray).
on 19 November 2010
Pixar has always enabled the audience to directly attatch themselves to the characters and have a storyline that can really call back to personal experiences or even relate to somewhat. In the early 90's when the very monumental Toy Story was released, it catapulted animation to new heights! not only for it's revolutionary use of digital art, but to have a very strong connection with the audience, presenting 'toys' as a literal metaphor for life!

Here we are almost two decades later and we have seen Toy Story 2 raise to new heights and many immitations on the plot or creativity. Here Toy Story 3 breaks the records and definitively brought the beloved characters we fell in love with in both films and takes them on their most deep adventure yet!

The Toy Story films have that knack of always attatching themselves to people of ANY age, ANY upbringing, ANY race and ANY demographic. It spans all the generations and are each (including this cracking film!) absolute timeless pieces of art.

Now, Toy Story 3 has been arguably THE movie event of 2010! not just in animation but for film in general. Audience's of the films when they premiered those years ago came back, new audiences came and saw it and it met with universal acclaim and new records being broken.

The hype was built upon across 2008 and 2009 with storylines being scrapped and rumoured voice casts and characters etc. But it definitively all came into play with Toy Story 3,as not only does this film live up to they hype of the media, but also it surpasses many thoughts on where the direction of this film was going to go! It surpasses the heights of the previous two films and deeply connects with its audience from the iconic and comical opening sequence, through sequences of absolute TOP class direction and humour and that pure emotional en-richened sequences that pushed the boundaries on how much an animation can deliver.

Only eve have The Little Mermaid, The Lion King and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? been animations that really emotionally pushed me, but Toy Story upped the stakes to new heights!

Many reviewers have praised the film on here, and only I can do the same too! Toy Story 3 was absolutely well worth the wait, and it provides the ultimate sequel for a trilogy like no other film franchise has achieved, it ranks with the original! and definitively one of the most creative animated films of all time.

The voice cast were on top form as always too! With Tom Hanks and Tim Allen back at their absolute finest as the iconic Woody and Buzz Lightyear. And favourites Mr & Mrs Potato Head, Rex, Slinky Dog, Spanky Hamm and of course Jessie the yodeling Cowgirl and Bullseye.

The movie is an absolute treasure that reflects the journey of life itself at an introspective viewpoint, the first film delved into early life, the second explored the themes of growing up, while this third really reflects the later stages of life itself into the choices of 'adulthood' and retirement. And it really does hit home too.

Honestly if this film doesn't get nominated at the Oscars For Best Motion Picture then the whole ceremony would be unworthy, just a wonderful display all the way through, my words are unworthy.

QUALITY!
on 29 November 2010
The whole concept of toys that come alive is hugely entertaining, but the real charm with Toy Story is the grown up humour that keep the mums and dads as happy as the kids.

Toy Story 3 doesn't let up with fun for the entire family and although having a villainous toy again (as in the second Toy Story) seems a bit repetitive, the action and dialogue is as fresh now as when the original Toy Story was released to the public fifteen years ago.

There are some really laugh out loud moments (especially featuring Buzz Lightyear) and the animation is of the highest quality as one would expect. The ending is tender and fitting.

A real treat for all audiences.