VINE VOICEon 8 November 2002
Jillian St Clair has always loved the young boy she once found in the forest and could never understand why he left her. Now he is back at the request of her father in some kind of compition to win her hand in marriage. At first she wants nothing to do with him but realises she is still in love with him and sets out to win him as he seems to be the only one of her three suitors that is not interested in pursuing her.
Gavrael McIllioch (Grimm) was born to a clan of highlanders with supernatural strength but he abandoned his name and his clan at a young age. He had always been hunted by a jealous rival clan and to protect those he cared for he sttod at a distance. Yet when he recieved a note "Come for Jillian" he could not ignore it or his feelings for her. Now he had to chose between telling his secrets to the woman he has always cared for or watching her marry another.
This book is a wonderful mix of fantasy and romance and is passionate, sensual and fast paced. I have read other books by this author and have yet to find one I dislike. She can not write fast enough for me. By far one of my favourite authors and one of my favourite books.
0Comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 April 2017
I love this series it's action packed with plenty of romance. There is a strong plot with lots of twists and turns. Worth the buy just as good as book 1.
on 21 October 2017
Very happy with it and it was a fast delivery.
on 1 November 2017
Bought for daughter
Happy with purchase
Would recommend to friends
on 19 February 2001
I love Karen's books having read Beyond a Highland Mist.I could not wait to read To Tame a Highland Warrior. And it did not dissapoint with their slight supernatural element..as have her books so far..it makes for an exciting unusual story. I read her books in one sitting they are hard to put down. Well done !! can't wait to read The Highlanders Touch...and wait in anticipation for the next book - TRY KAREN MARIE MONING'S BOOKS YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED
on 16 November 2014
★Review★

As with book 1 Review Here I struggled with liking the heroine. Nothing I can really put my finger on, just something about them I struggled to put my finger on.

Felt like not a lot happened in maybe the first 60% other then them being mean to each other and wallowing in self pity. All sorts of back and forth in their minds, particularly the heroine. "Oh I love, him, oh he is so mean I hate him, I love him, he hates me, oh this must mean he loves me, oh I hate him, I love him" and on.

And certain things I just did not get. Grimm has spent time at Court, with Lairds etc, how was he unaware of the survival of his clan and this supposed "great city" given this is Scotland 500 or so years ago, when all clans or clans lairds would be known to other clans and especially their leaders!

Again with the first book the dialogue did not feel all that authentic to an historical setting.

I started enjoying it more toward the last quarter, as with book 1.

And I was pleased for the HEA.

But I have been reliably informed book 1-3 in this series are by far the weakest, and book 4 is when it gets great, so shall continue on.

★Book Basics★

Rating - 2.5 rounded up to 3
on 26 December 2016
3.5 helms

Please follow me on my blog :) Review originally posted on Vellum Voyages

Our mysterious Grimm from the first book gets his story now and I was really excited to start it as he really piqued my curiosity from the first book!

There is no time travel in this romance, but a play on an ancient Norse legend of the Bersekers, who are legendary warriors fabled for their trance-like fury and prowess on the battlefield. Gavrael McIllioch vows never to return to his home and forsakes his name, castle, clan and identity after witnessing his father murder his mother in a Berseker rage. Changing his name to Grimm to protect his identity and to avoid detection from the rival clan intent on killing off the Bersekers, he travels far and wide from the highlands, determined to escape his ancestor's curse and to not give into the temptation of falling in love, with Jillian St. Clair, although protecting and watching over her from afar. "Come for Jillian" is the urgent summons Grimm receives one day, which Grimm cannot ignore and races towards Jillian's home to find himself embroiled in a competition to win her hand in marriage.

Jillian St. Clair has always loved Grimm and there has never been another in her heart, even after he left her suddenly and without explanation all those years ago. Now he was back, thanks to her father's game, urging her not only to wed but to choose another other than himself for her hand in marriage! Grimm had never disclosed his true nature to Jillian, as he feared not only her rejection but his inability to control his actions under the influence of the Berseker rage and cause her harm unknowingly. But with Jillian in such tempting close proximity, Grimm struggles with his vow of not giving into his love and desire for her and Jillian proves that she is the only one who can tame Grimm, his fears and his true Berseker nature.

The story sounded promising and Grimm seemed quite an enigma in the first book but I felt like the story was slightly anticlimactic at the beginning. It also only picked up for me and got interesting in the last 60% of the book. We also have another love trianglish sort of situation (similar to the first book) where the heroine has her choice of suitors (3 suitors!). Jealousy in this instance felt a bit more manipulated and calculated and I didn't find it cute at all. It also got really frustrating how Jillian and Grimm kept getting into misunderstandings and bouts of self-pity and moments of "oh does Jillian really love me? I didn't know that!, But she must marry someone else I cannot be the one for her, Oh Grimm I love you, but you don't, but I think you do". Jillian was also very hard to like at the beginning as she just sounded shrewish, whiny and immature and Grimm was portrayed as a strong brooding, tortured alpha hero but with a lot of self loathing thrown in.

Again this book is similar to the first and has historical inconsistencies, unscottish modern language and interesting character name choices. Despite the cons, KMM always proves she can write well, as this deceptively light hearted story had humor as well as danger peppered within. She also manages to keep the ending sweet and satisfying and it was nice to see Grimm at peace with himself and Jillian finally get her man without all the drama! This is a keeper as it is part of a keeper series for me :)
on 8 November 2012
This is the second in Karen Marie Moning's Highland romance tales. I read this after reading her other highlander romances, mostly as the orginal blurb did not particularly draw me in. When I had read the others I picked this up more for completeness and wanting to re-enter that world, rather than because the book drew me individually. Having said that, I really enjoyed this book, so I am glad I got around to it eventually.

It is the story of Gavrael ("Grimm") and Jillian. Grimm was introduced in the first book (Beyond the Highland Mist). Unlike her other stories, Jillian lives in the same time as Grimm, so there is no time travel element to this story.

As with KMM's other romances, this had a good plot with well developed characters. Their relationship developed at a believable pace and the building of chemistry between them was good. I like how Jillian's character developed and how she was persistent in trying to win Grimm's affections. There was also a good part of the story that continued after they connected, which is always fun to read about.

What I found a bit (and only a tiny bit) difficult was that the story did not quite fit with either book 1 or indeed the subsequent highland romances KMM has written. The fae play no part in this book, whereas they have quite central roles in the other tales. Jillian's parents are introduced as charcters that seem to have a detailed backstory, that you feel you should know more about, but of course we don't and since they do not appear in any other books, it feels a little disorienting. We do see Hawk and Adrienne from book one again, but I felt that the meeting with the two women was somewhat contrived as during their first meeting Adrienne launches suddenly into mentioning time travel. There are supernatural elements to this story too, but not as per her other books, so readers looking for that may be disappointed.

However, if read as a standalone romance, without reference to the other books, I would say it is a 4 or 5 star read. KMM has developed a good plot, great characters and a lovely progression of the relationship between the protagonists. If you are new to her books I would probably recommend reading this first, then Book 1 (Beyond the Highland Mist) then follow with the later books - all of which get better and better, so you will have plenty of hot highland romance to look forward to!
on 4 June 2001
I loved reading this book! It is an ususual but lovely story, based in scotland. I wish more of these types of stories were written. Karen Marie Moning brings humer, danger, legends and love together in a wonderful tale about two people who belong together.
on 9 March 2008
This is the first book by KM Moning that I've read. I find katzw82's presentation of the gist of the story is well done indeed, will not repeat it anymore.

Really enjoyed reading this series, I'm sure romantic fantasy readers like me will also enjoy this book. I recommend that you read this series in sequence though for greater appreciation of events and characters.